Sludge under oil cap, help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you run catch cans in any of your rigs? / believe in them?
Will not help with sludge. Main reason for sludge is moisture.

No and no. They’re port injected engines that don’t exhibit an acccumulation of carbon or combustion byproducts.
Yes indeed

Will not help with sludge. Main reason for sludge is moisture.
Blow being the source of moisture still you are right …

I was more concerned about oil fouling in the return path, but you were both right.
check this out;

30D92DEC-B5FA-4544-92BB-C26E2B6C074E.jpeg

Separator baffle built in. No need for catch can at all.

All combustion engines (yes, even these snazzy new ones) benefit from a good 20+ minute hot run under load every so often. The more the engine sees idle and light loads, the more often that hot run is needed.

What your seeing is most likely an emulsion.
Think of it like fog, but in your oil…
When you have water in the air but temperatures are sufficient to keep it vaporized, it’s not seen. When temps drop, the water condenses into fog (that’s what the dew point is all about…the temp that dew forms).
Same thing happens in your oil… as a motor cools, it draws in atmospheric air that contains moisture. This can be appreciated the next time you start your motor and see water dripping out your exhaust pipe.
If you don‘t fully evaporate that water, it increases in concentration, finally reaching the point where it “condenses” out (like fog)…that’s what you’re seeing. Its called an emulsion when it happens in a fluid.
Change your oil and start doing longer trips…water in the oil will reduce lubricating qualities to the bearings, add the risk of internal rusting, and form an acidic bath that can eat at softer metals in your engine.
Water = no bueno

Let's not forget that water vapor is a main byproduct of combustion...keeping the engine hot, i.e. at operating temp, lets this stay in a vapor state and leave the engine.

What your seeing is most likely an emulsion.
Think of it like fog, but in your oil…
When you have water in the air but temperatures are sufficient to keep it vaporized, it’s not seen. When temps drop, the water condenses into fog (that’s what the dew point is all about…the temp that dew forms).
Same thing happens in your oil… as a motor cools, it draws in atmospheric air that contains moisture. This can be appreciated the next time you start your motor and see water dripping out your exhaust pipe.
If you don‘t fully evaporate that water, it increases in concentration, finally reaching the point where it “condenses” out (like fog)…that’s what you’re seeing. Its called an emulsion when it happens in a fluid.
Change your oil and start doing longer trips…water in the oil will reduce lubricating qualities to the bearings, add the risk of internal rusting, and form an acidic bath that can eat at softer metals in your engine.
Water = no bueno

I don’t remember which informational tidbit I saw on it, but that post shutoff vacuum is supposed to address that. I may be misremembering things though.

I don’t believe your cap should ever milkshake.

Now I also don’t know how much influence a heavier oil will have on blowby but in my mind it should help.

Let's not forget that water vapor is a main byproduct of combustion...keeping the engine hot, i.e. at operating temp, lets this stay in a vapor state and leave the engine.
^^* this. Nothing to do with ambient moisture unless you live in the rain forests

Maybe not for you and the OP in TX, but here in the PNW and other wet and cool climates it is a factor. As is h2o as a combustion by-product.
Regardless of how the moisture gets in, the goal is getting it out. And only heat will do that.

Steam does clean the s*** out of carbon deposits though apparently.

Yall ever seen steam cleaning engines? LST did a video on it for his bmw. I was a bit shocked.

Here are some pics from a 2020 5.7 Tundra owner. His trips are often short enough to create the dreaded milkshake under the oil cap. So he added a catch can. Seems that it does catch quite a bit of this stuff. This is after 1800 miles:
C0505C00-AA7B-47C4-ADB8-0D8C800A0692.jpeg

And this is after 2300 miles:
63106FBC-70A6-4354-A1FC-83441C0C575A.jpeg

I think I’m going to go ahead and order one. My wife takes a lot of short trips, and if I can catch most or even some of this, I would think it’s worth it.

Here are some pics from a 2020 5.7 Tundra owner. His trips are often short enough to create the dreaded milkshake under the oil cap. So he added a catch can. Seems that it does catch quite a bit of this stuff. This is after 1800 miles:
View attachment 3232562

And this is after 2300 miles:
View attachment 3232563

I think I’m going to go ahead and order one. My wife takes a lot of short trips, and if I can catch most or even some of this, I would think it’s worth it.
Is there a LC200 specific catch can?

This looks a little bit as when you add Ceratec to your oil to a much lesser degree.

Last edited:
We're the king of short trips 9 months of the year. Grocery store is 5 blocks away, youngest's school is 1/2 mile, etc. Our town is 8 square miles, and we probably only drive out of it twice a month on average. It's been in the upper 20s/low 30s for the last month or so, and it's 12F out right now. There's no milky residue on my oil cap after ~2000 miles. Anyone who experiences this should start by changing their PCV valve.

We're the king of short trips 9 months of the year. Grocery store is 5 blocks away, youngest's school is 1/2 mile, etc. Our town is 8 square miles, and we probably only drive out of it twice a month on average. It's been in the upper 20s/low 30s for the last month or so, and it's 12F out right now. There's no milky residue on my oil cap after ~2000 miles. Anyone who experiences this should start by changing their PCV valve.
Sometimes multiple sequential short trips are enough to get the engine up to operating temp helping to boil off internal condensation.

I've seen some on this forum run the Radium setup. I'm going to go with the J&L that lots of Tundra guys use. I might put one on my Tundra, too.
I’ll likely go with UPR. I had one on my GMC and it was solid. I just need to figure out the ID of the hose and where it all goes. With the GMC they had a plug and play, but they don’t offer one of the LC. They do have a DIY version though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom