Sludge under oil cap, help! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
8653C8E8-224F-4B91-B678-E4C634C0ED9B.jpeg
F417786D-48B8-4D8E-90FC-1283B7C6191B.jpeg

Just discovered this while doing an oil change. A quick Google suggests a leaking head gasket, which is new territory for me.

What should I do immediately? Clean the cap and spout and complete the oil change? Or leave it drained while troubleshooting?

The drained oil and dipstick looked normal, BTW.

This is very normal, especially if you do short trips and don't get the engine hot enough to evaporate any residual moisture. I would not worry.

Im the king of short trips and never seen it through frequent checks.
spitballing here but how many miles on your pcv?
It does seem excessive though.

Run around in 2nd/3rd gear at 5k RPMs for a few miles. It will go away.

View attachment 3171738View attachment 3171739

Just discovered this while doing an oil change. A quick Google suggests a leaking head gasket, which is new territory for me.

What should I do immediately? Clean the cap and spout and complete the oil change? Or leave it drained while troubleshooting?

The drained oil and dipstick looked normal, BTW.

As others have mentioned - time to change your PCV Valve!

HTH

Need to go on longer trips at operating temp to allow combustion moisture to vaporize out of the oil

Run around in 2nd/3rd gear at 5k RPMs for a few miles. It will go away.

This happens to you on your newer trucks? What oil weight you run?

This happens to you on your newer trucks? What oil weight you run?
No it doesn’t. It’s happened to my 4Runner which warms up via idling a lot in Chicago and is driven locally most of the time. It’s caused by condensation accumulation in the crankcase - not really from a malfunctioning PCV. Condensation accumulates from the oil not reaching full operating temperature over multiple thermal cycles.

5W30 synthetic M1 or Castrol in everything

No it doesn’t. It’s happened to my 4Runner which warms up via idling a lot in Chicago and is driven locally most of the time. It’s caused by condensation accumulation in the crankcase - not really from a malfunctioning PCV. Condensation accumulates from the oil not reaching full operating temperature over multiple thermal cycles.

5W30 synthetic M1 or Castrol in everything
^This.

There needs to just be a pinned PSA to run 5W.

Sludge will happen regardless of brand and weight. Even Gucci Amsoil will sludge.

Do you run catch cans in any of your rigs? / believe in them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom