Builds SLOW 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm. One of my rivets goes wonky after I run the wipers for a few minutes. I was wondering what would be a good fix.

Hard telling, until you get everything on the bench. Crappy job, too. There is a lot that could get worn out or corroded, kinda like the tailgate! :bang:

Hey Ron! Long time away ( even for me), nice to know the slow 61 thread still has as much life as ever. Sorry to hear about your troubles in May, but glad things worked out for your son.

Makes me nervous to see your troubles with the pig. Makes me think I'll never get mine in shape (which sadly sometimes looks like a possibility).

Is there still a chance you'll get it back together for the pig party?

Hi Rodney,

If everything goes right, we will be at the party. The transfer case is heading home today and should arrive here on Friday. New seals, etc. are going in the rear axle and everything else is ready. When you build something like we are, you will have stuff come up and have to rebuild or re think your first try, I'm on my third or fourth try! :) We'll get there, just keep the faith.

Lol, well glad you'll get to make it. There's a part of me that wants to believe you do a build like this and everything just magically works out, but apparently that's not the case ;). It's all part of the "fun" though.

I want to see lots of pics from the party!

So, I took the rear pumpkin over to the shop and we hooked it up to air before the tear down and it held air pressure for 30 min. I still wanted to replace the seal housing and seals, since I've come this far. We did that and it held air for two beers and we called it good. I'll install it tomorrow, but can't run anything until I get the trans. in.

I really don't understand what all went wrong with the rear end, but I've got all new parts in it again and I'll try again.

Question, does anybody know of a good vent cap for the axle vent. I have a new hose running up to the engine comp., but want to try a short hose and cap for this trip. Trying to eliminate all possible causes for the oil backing up.

For a down and dirty test you could use a poly performance PSC vent Bellow.

I was reading some on the bellows and a few guys had problems with them, not saying the PSC is one of them, really don't know much about them. I'll look it up.

Thanks Jim.

Because you run an air locker you'll need to cut a small slit in the top of the Bellow but it will work for your test and keep water and dirt out.

Sorry Ron I was typing on my phone last night and couldn’t post links.

PSC Vent Bellow

Once you isolate your issue you could reconnect your existing vent line back up but this is a quick, cheap and easy way to rule out undersized vent line.

J Mack,

I was told last time he did pressure test, but this time in Moab the compressor kept turning on, I thought an air leak and I had oil coming out the solenoid. I have a new vent ( hose barb) and new line, so vent is fine. I took it apart and we'll see what's up with it. Hoping he just screwed up the seals putting in? I took everything apart and started over, seals, repacked bearings, etc.

Ron,

I never believed your issue was a bad ARB seal and it sounds like it held pressure, so you still need to look into the compressor running issue. The bellow will isolate the rear end vent from the rest of your system and with a small razor cut on the top (about ½” slit) it will keep the housing pressure in check so we could safely assume if you’re still getting oil in the solenoid it’s not coming from bad ARB seals and need to look elsewhere.
Something strange going on for sure, I'm betting it will be something simple at the end of the day and we'll all have a good laugh over a beer at the pig party!

Yeah, that's what I've read, guys cutting the bellows. I really think I had a couple things happen and it started with that Poly axle wearing out. All new now, so I should be good to go. I'm confused on how the water stays out of the bellows if you put a cut in it.

I'm confused on how the water stays out of the bellows if you put a cut in it.

Sorry Ron typing my thoughts is not one of my limited skills but I’ll do my best.

Any vent you use is going to have to let air pass in both directions while keeping oil in and keeping dirt & water out, as you build heat the air in your housing expands creating pressure, new gears and bearings build more heat than gears and bearings after they have been broken in so some of these issues work themselves out after you get a few miles on your parts. My assumption is that your current vent line is either undersized for the length of run or tied to another component (transfer case or trans) and not able to vent fast enough during highway spends as the components heat up. Adding the bellow for a few hundred miles while you troubleshoot will help you isolate the individual components, the bellow will expand and contract under normal operation and the small slit will not be a factor in its operation (a small slit cut with a razor blade on the top of the bellow will seal back together reasonably tight), if for some reason your air locker is leaking a small amount of air the slit will allow the bellow to burp air and not blow it off your barb fitting.

Lots of guys run this as a permanent solution on more hard core wheeling than your pig will likely ever see, I believe you’ll be fine running this as a short term test.

Last edited:
We'll have to save this for a campfire discussion, because there's way too many things that changed and had the same result with two different axles.

Thanks Jim for taking the time to help me. To coin Mel's words, come hell or high water, we'll see you at camp. :)

Pig Party or Bust continues... got the transmission/transfer case in today. Everything went in good for a one man show, until I got to the four bolts. I played with the four main bolts for over an hour and couldn't get any of them started....yup, wrong bolts! looked over at the pile of parts and seen four other bolts, same size but different thread. Amateur! :) I'll spend tomorrow putting all the little things back and getting it all adjusted.

Looking like the party is going to happen for us...tonight is BUD time! :beer:

Glad to hear you got it back in time. That was pretty close to time to go. You might want 2 buds for a productive day.

Hey Ron! Long time away ( even for me), nice to know the slow 61 thread still has as much life as ever. Sorry to hear about your troubles in May, but glad things worked out for your son.

Makes me nervous to see your troubles with the pig. Makes me think I'll never get mine in shape (which sadly sometimes looks like a possibility).

Is there still a chance you'll get it back together for the pig party?

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom