Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know enough about them, but it would take a large remake of driveline parts to do that now. I believe Lil' John is using one, maybe he will comment.

Been reading through your thread again scrapdaddy, your pig is bloody awesome.

I've been building mine up in my head and rereading your build makes me want to do an LS with the factory gearbox and transfer with some upgraded gears and 3.7s in the diffs. How are you finding the engine performance and economy?

Performance is more than I will ever need, but I like to drive @ the 60 mph zone. It's got a lot more pedal left for passing. Up in the mountain passes, loaded down with camping gear, she slowed down some, had to down shift to 4th. Fuel mileage is awesome, not a diesel, but still getting 17 to 19 mpg and that's with the mountains, four wheeling or loaded down. To be honest, I haven't driven it a full tank just around town and empty.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I'm not a purist when it comes to keeping them stock and wanted something that we could travel in and relax somewhat doing it. I'm running 4.11 axle gears with the H55 5 speed and 33" tires. Seems the 5.3 Chevy likes this combination. Putting all that together with a 60 gal. fuel tank gives me well over 1000 mile cruising range, great for the outback! :)

Now, those numbers could change when Georg puts in the new gear set in the transfer case. Something I didn't know, low range will be lower, but so will high range. He said the motor will be spinning a little higher rpms in high range and that will effect the mileage.

I'm putting it the WIN column!

Performance is more than I will ever need, but I like to drive @ the 60 mph zone. It's got a lot more pedal left for passing. Up in the mountain passes, loaded down with camping gear, she slowed down some, had to down shift to 4th. Fuel mileage is awesome, not a diesel, but still getting 17 to 19 mpg and that's with the mountains, four wheeling or loaded down. To be honest, I haven't driven it a full tank just around town and empty.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I'm not a purist when it comes to keeping them stock and wanted something that we could travel in and relax somewhat doing it. I'm running 4.11 axle gears with the H55 5 speed and 33" tires. Seems the 5.3 Chevy likes this combination. Putting all that together with a 60 gal. fuel tank gives me well over 1000 mile cruising range, great for the outback! :)

Now, those numbers could change when Georg puts in the new gear set in the transfer case. Something I didn't know, low range will be lower, but so will high range. He said the motor will be spinning a little higher rpms in high range and that will effect the mileage.

I'm putting it the WIN column!

That's excellent mileage! It looks as though the 5.3 and 4.8 V8s weren't used in anything over here unfortunately, the easiest engine we have access to is the larger LS1 which is too much engine for me and from my research too thirsty for this application.

I about to start putting a little away each week towards a repower for whenever I see my piggy again, whether that be a mildly worked 2f or a v8 swap I can't decide. I don't want to spend $10k+ On an engine that gets the same mileage as a 2f but don't consider the 2f worth hotting up. I wonder if any of the Holden V6 engines can swap in or if I can get a 5.3 from the states.

Have you considered the OD gear set from marks adapters? It has a 9% over drive in high and 44% reduction in low range, it seems to be a good compromise and is what I'm aiming to buy to offset only having a 4 speed box.

Have you considered the OD gear set from marks adapters? It has a 9% over drive in high and 44% reduction in low range, it seems to be a good compromise and is what I'm aiming to buy to offset only having a 4 speed box

No, I don't need another OD with the 5 speed and I believe the cost is up there, also.

Last edited:

The re-gear is going to under-drive in H?

Only thing worse than golf are the people that play it. Haha.

I wish I got 17 mpg. I don't really know what I am getting now that I have efi. I don't have a fuel gage or a speedometer and I haven't even filled my new tank all the way.

I'm in the same boat. I've had mine running for two years now and still haven't used a tank of gas around town. It's all been traveling miles with a loaded back.

Yes Sir, no more stretchy nuts! That Diamond axle is nice, still need to tighten up the e-brake, seems not to hold very well, so I put in a manual in line shut off for now. 5/8" u bolts work nice, put some on the front too.

did you have to open any holes to fit the fatter bolts?

nice.

Take a trip and then take it apart, seems to be my mantra. Transfer case rebuild, rear axle puking oil out the ARB solenoid, wiper arm falling off, steering column dragging. I've got a handle on all of it, so hoping we'll be ready for the party. Not many pictures of the tear down, but here's the top bearing in the steering column. I repacked it once before, but something isn't right in there.

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

Waiting on the transfer case redo from Georg at Valley Hybrids and having the oil seals replaced again in the ARB. Mean while I'm replacing all the bearings and seals in the rear axle, just to be safe. They only had 3,000 miles on them, but I want it right, so I can move on.

Wipers are fixed, I drilled and taped a hole in the wiper shaft and screwed the arm down. No picture, but I'm glad I replaced all the rivets with little screws when I rebuild all the wiper arms, made taking it apart a lot easier.

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

Wow you're really getting a lot done. I feel like I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You're such an inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom