Slotted and drilled brake rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
Has anyone run these DBA Slotted and drilled brake rotors? They are on Man-a-Fre's website. They look interesting, but does my 60 really need them? Or are they just bling-bling?

I have DBA sloted but NOT drilled rotors on my 60 with Metal Master pads......stops great.

I've had the DBA rotors in question on my truck for the past three years and have absolutely no complaints with them and no problems at all. I would have preferred the slotted only but at the time, the cross-drilled DBAs were all that MAF was selling. As to whether they actually perform better than Toyota OEM rotors I can't really say. The stock rotors are really good as are the OEM pads.

I had them on my last 60 and loved them. I can't prove this but they seamed to last longer than stock as well.

I have been told on a street vehicle its mostly bling to have a drilled rotor. They are designed for high speed track conditions requiring additional cooling after repeated hard braking. Brake power should not increase but brakes should not fade as much. Anyway that is the theory as I know it. I am yet to try them on any of my Land Cruisers.

I have had the opporitunity to drive vehicles (cars) with and without vented rotors on a track. There is definintely a big difference after braking hard a few times between the two.

Hey Corbet, drive by 102 Pitkin and take a look at the cabin I lived in from 1/74 to 10/84. That's when I had my first two Cruisers and the rent was $75 a month and the only paved street in Frisco was Main St. Things have changed, haven't they? I could have bought the cabin and the house just in front and east of it for $45K and didn't. Stupid me, eh?
Sorry for the hijack but just noticed where Corbet lives.

If you do decide to get them, I would reccomend the slotted only as well. Technically the drilling is for the bling factor, the slotting is the real upgrade here. We have the standard slotted and the 4000 series, which have the specail kangaroo paw venting, they are also heat treated and hardened.....nice.

overhanger said:
Hey Corbet, drive by 102 Pitkin and take a look at the cabin I lived in from 1/74 to 10/84. That's when I had my first two Cruisers and the rent was $75 a month and the only paved street in Frisco was Main St. Things have changed, haven't they? I could have bought the cabin and the house just in front and east of it for $45K and didn't. Stupid me, eh?
Sorry for the hijack but just noticed where Corbet lives.

You don't even what to know what that is worth today. We just bought a lot in Blue River to build on. The townhome we are in now just is not big enough. Can't afford to stay in Frisco. .25 acres = $200,000.00 here.

I would think that the drilled rotors would be more prone to warping under stress and heat. But I guess the 2F wouldn't generate near the amount of stress and heat to warp any rotors...now if I had a 60 with a 500HP V-8...

I have vented but not drilled or slotted. Im thinking about going slotted.

djawahir said:
I would think that the drilled rotors would be more prone to warping under stress and heat. But I guess the 2F wouldn't generate near the amount of stress and heat to warp any rotors...now if I had a 60 with a 500HP V-8...
WTF does HP have to do with braking???

Slotted is an okay idea. Not that much benifit for a FJ60 but to each their own. the drilled rotors are actually more dangerous than anything.

Actually, I cannot see ANY reason to go slotted. Espically when new FJ60 rotors are like $20 a piece from Autozone..

Mace said:
Actually, I cannot see ANY reason to go slotted. Espically when new FJ60 rotors are like $20 a piece from Autozone..

Because they are cheezy rotors cast in China, and warp after a long trip around the block! :doh: The quality that goes into the DBA rotors is pretty much un-matched, whether they are slotted or not, they will still last much longer.

Funny, I have those cheezy, cast, chineese rotors on 2 of my cruisers, my superduty, my mothers superduty and a bunch of other vehicles (including a RDB conversion that was previously on my 40) None have ever warped or gone bad.

Guess I am lucky. If I were racing a honda on a closed course then I would probably want more expensive rotors, Hell I would probably send them off to be cryo'd as well. But on something like a cruiser, I see no reason for it.

BTW, Steve, degrading another vendors (don't care if it is autozone or pepboys)items is not particularly professional or cool. It makes me even less likely to purchase items from MAF if that is a common practice.

all 60's have vented rotors stock :)

mini trucks and early disc brake 40's had solid not vented.

HZJ60 Guy said:
I have vented but not drilled or slotted. Im thinking about going slotted.

LP, I thought that all Cruisers had Vented rotors.. I am pretty sure that a 76 was vented..

Mace said:
WTF does HP have to do with braking???

I guess we could look at a 500HP V8 being heavier and therefore more mass to stop. That means more heat on the rotors.

Or we could look at more power in the engine which translates to higher speeds and therefore more "lead foot" disease. The heat generated stopping a machine from 80 to 0 is greater than stopping a machine from 50 to 0. Doesn't this mean more stress/heat on rotors as well?

HP has a lot to do with braking if you use it correctly.

more horse power will only get you to 80 faster.

my 87 hp 3b powered fj62 does 80mph easily enough...I will never put drilled or slotted rotors on it...quite simply put , HP has nothing to do with braking PERIOD .
Daryl ,
p.s , not trying to start an arguement...just using basic physics .

you are correct, I had a brain fart(cant you smell it ;)......was thinking back to doing my disc swap using mini truck stuff.....I had a cruiser axle that already had the mini disc on it.....I swaped em to the vented cruiser rotors.....

Mace said:
LP, I thought that all Cruisers had Vented rotors.. I am pretty sure that a 76 was vented..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom