Slinky is coming back to the US Market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pallets are arriving this week. Pricing should be available in a week or so.

I know things have not gone well in the past, but I know the guy who runs Mill Creek did a lot of research on all those past failures before he made any moves. This has been in the planning stages for over 6 months. Inventory management and product availability seemed to be the main issues last go around. Hopefully some lessons have been learned and things will run a little cleaner this time.

Interesting. I wonder how much past failures had to do with the USA distributor vs the main supplier?

There's some not great scuttlebutt on the guy behind 4xoverland Aus on the web. Fairly well known figure in the industry.

Currently hesitant to purchase icon gear from him because of chatter on various forums.

Interesting. I wonder how much past failures had to do with the USA distributor vs the main supplier?

There's some not great scuttlebutt on the guy behind 4xoverland Aus on the web. Fairly well known figure in the industry.

Currently hesitant to purchase icon gear from him because of chatter on various forums.
Haven't heard anything of the sort about Darren. I'm sure there are some that might not jive with his personality or with his approach to builds, but in terms of the business he's not the issue. I don't care who you are, there will always be people on the web that think you're the biggest idiot on the planet and others that think you're brilliant. I prefer to look at the the actions and my personal experience with an individual than to base it on something I read on the web from someone I don't even know. In that sense, Darren has been awesome to provide assistance, answer questions etc. My experience with Redline and with EHO were also very positive so I'm not throwing either of them under the bus.
Here's my two cents having communicated regularly with Darren and both of the US distributors since it's been in the US. Both of the past distributors have had a good thing going (I have no axe to grind with any of them so I'm not going to badmouth) but they were both small companies with some specialized service and decent customer base. But once you step into international importing of products and are the one responsible for bringing the product to the US and not just a dealer that gets product delivered from another US source, there's a whole other level of hassle and complexity. I'm confident most of the past issues stem from that aspect and ended up being much more work (and probably cost) than the past distributor small companies were equipped to handle. So before the rumor mill gets started I don't think there is anything nefarious about any of it, instead just business partnerships that didnt work out.

Hopefully Millcreek is better quipped for the job. From what I've heard they are a larger shop with a larger staff than either of the past two shops. I'm sure Darren has learned a thing or two through the past attempts about the kind of shop to look for and how to help them be successful.

One more thing. The 80 series kits have been the biggest sellers in the US so far, but they also have full suspension kits the 100 Series, 200 Series, Lexus GX (Prado 120 and 150 platforms), Lexus LX, 4Runner and FJ Cruiser. I believe kits for Tacomas are also coming.

I think many here are probably aware I have been running Slinky suspension for almost 4 years now and was the third US truck to get the suspension. The first was Darren's (owner of the brand) US based 80, and the second is Woody's 80 and he's had it on his truck for 5-ish years. I've run the Stage1 kit and currently run their complete stage4 kit. I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has them, but there's a lot of information already on the forum for those that want to search.
do they make a 4in or taller setup?

Not currently. The 75mm kits are the biggest I'm aware of. They have a recipe that is proven and works as a complete kit for the sizes they offer. As you know the taller lifts require additional components etc to work properly and I think they've chosen not to open that can of worms. At least that's what I've been told.

Edit: I don't think I've seen anyone that has done it with a Slinky kit, but like with any other 80 kit, you could add coil spacers for additional height. I've seen quite a few that have done a 1" body lift (myself included) for the equivalent of 4" of lift. So there are ways to get there if you want to.

Hello all, new here. I ordered a Slinky stage one from 4xousa 12/6 and my order says awaiting shipment since 12/22. I've emailed them recently asking for a shipping date,but have not got a reply yet. Anybody have an idea what's going on with them?
Thanks,RS

Hello all, new here. I ordered a Slinky stage one from 4xousa 12/6 and my order says awaiting shipment since 12/22. I've emailed them recently asking for a shipping date,but have not got a reply yet. Anybody have an idea what's going on with them?
Thanks,RS
Yeah, your question has kinda been answered here. Filling your order is likely awaiting the pallets to arrive at Millcreek Overland from Australia this next week.

A few of us @Box Rocket, myself etc. are running 37's with the slinky 75mm suspension. No need to go taller unless you like having a higher center of gravity. The EHD springs will make the rear of the truck sit at 4" unless you have a LOT of weight....a 20mm coil spacer up front would level it out at 4", but not needed unless you are super heavy (think 8k+)

I've seen that too but I have to say my dealings with him getting the slinky kit for the turbo FZJ80 were easy and loved the gear

Are these like the dobinsons flexi coils, but with higher weight ratings?
Sort of. The similarity is that they are both dual rate coil designs. Not necessarily higher weight ratings either. There are intermediate and heavy as well as Extra Heavy rate coil options from Slinky.

Free Slinky kit on the 4xO facebook page.
2020give.jpg

That giveaway info is also posted in the Autocraft vendor area.

I suppose there's not a way for non-Facebook MUD members to get in in that?
from the rules on that it looks like attending the Launch party gets you entered and so does the purchase of any SlinkyBlackhawk product.
I haven't looked if it's posted to IG too but I would guess it probably is there to if you're on IG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom