Sleeping Mattress for Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alvarorb said:
Eric,

Are you moving the front seats all the way forward with their backs straight?

Regards

Alvaro

I usually enter from the passenger side front, so i move that seat forward a little and slightly lean the backrest forward but not much. I let the drivers side seat backrest as far forward as i can. I also pull the center seats headrests out to full extension... otherwise you have a saggy airbed and I hate how that sleeps.

I see what your getting at, I could eliminate the stuffing at the tail/liftgate. I use the front passenger seat to get in and take my shoes off, a makeshift cloak room if you will.

Eric,

Here's what I do.
I place a large tarp on the ground, under the rear tail gate.
That way I can step on it without getting my feet dirty. When I'm ready to go to sleep, I leave my shoes on the tail gate. The bottom part remains open all night (If not raining). The top part, I close. It makes a nice seal with the air mattress.

Regards

Alvaro

alvarorb said:
Eric,

Here's what I do.
I place a large tarp on the ground, under the rear tail gate.
That way I can step on it without getting my feet dirty. When I'm ready to go to sleep, I leave my shoes on the tail gate. The bottom part remains open all night (If not raining). The top part, I close. It makes a nice seal with the air mattress.

Regards

Alvaro

nice. I'll keep this in mind...
Of course 'round these parts it can rain at a moments notice. Literally down pour for 1o minutes and then be gone.

I slept in the back of mine a couple nights ago at 10000 ft ( Taylor Resorvoir by Gunnison Colorado) It got down to 27 degrees and I was suprised how warm it stayed. I brought my English Bulldog "Gus" up with me and the tent was too cold for him he just cried like a baby. He liked the 100 alot better.

FYI I love this truck!

i'm with the last two fellas. I spent four months camping around the country, most of it sleeping in the back of my cruiser and I used a thermarest and a few blankets, and I slept like a log every nite. My only recommendation is to go with something that is insulating if you are going out in cold weather. The backpackers thermarest I used worked great in nites down in the 20's, and there was a big difference without it.

Here is another great tip you may find helpful. I took some camouflage mosquito netting, cut it to size to cover the back side panel windows ( I have a 97) with about a 4 inch overlap, same with a big piece to cover the back opening. Then, find the nickel or dime size magnets and sew them every 6-9 inches or so on the netting ( you'll fold the netting over to create a, well, fold ) and sew them inside. You now have instant screen windows to keep the bugs out and you can sleep or hang out inside with the windows or back hatch open. I tell you, it was fantastic on my journey!!!

Try it, it's super easy!!:cool:

REI promotes organizations that shut down ski areas and mountain bike trails while they sell ski equipment and mountain bikes?

That doesn't seem to be a very good business model.
Sorta like the Gov't, isn't it-----

Sorta like the Gov't, isn't it-----
:confused:
is there a reason why you choose to cherry pick this one nine-year-old quote from this thread?

I have gone through 3 sets of 3 inch medium density foam. This was a the best option after trying any and all mats from REI to Cabellas. I stored the two section up top in the sky box. It worked great. Now, with kids I have a roof top tent.

For you guys that sleep in your Landcruiser, what kind of mattress do you use?
One person suggested a gym mat system at Costcos. Any others? Trying to finalize a drawer system order now, and I need to get something very comfortable for sleeping.

Grouseman
Hi, guys and girls.
I am a renewed vendor here and offer the latest and greatest ever camping mattresses for sleeping on the ground, in your trucks or roof top tents. I had to design this series of mattresses because, simply put, tomorrows adventure depends on how well you sleep tonight.

For roughing it in your Landcruiser there are two options. For some, with limited space, the Camping Mat will work just fine. At two inches thick you will be sleeping on padded Micro Coils. There are 64 Micro Coils per square foot and the mattress is 26 inch wide X 74 inch long. That’s one half the size of a standard bed. The Camping Mat weighs 6.5 pounds and rolls up to about 10 inch diameter. I use the Camping Mat when I am ground camping.

The next step up is the Truck Bed Mattress which comes in two sizes. Designed specifically for a pickup truck bed this patent pending mattress is nearly 3 inches thick and designed to mask over and utilize the corrugated truck bed floor to add a degree of bounce, so to speak, to the comfort zone. They will work equally well on the floor of a ground tent. The Taco is 43 inch wide and 74 inch long and weighs about 24 pounds. The Grande fits larger full size trucks and SUVs. Both of these are built around 31 padded Nano Coils per square foot. For those who sleep above it all, I offer the same style mattress for roof top tents.

If you don’t agree that my mattress is the best in its class, I will refund the purchase price including shipping. Mitchell Schliebs

The closest completion to my mattress is in a hotel room.

How durable is the truck bed mattress? Say a dog walks across it, will the material stand up? Or would it tear?

We got what I think is the best solution for a mattress that I have ever used. I have used in the past the closed foam, thermarests, "insulate" air mattress and the traditional air mattress. The first two will always keep you the warmest but their comfort levels are poor at best. The air mattresses are comfortable...but you'll freeze and they way too bulkly. I also don't like the fact that when I sit down on them my wife flies off her side.

Our solution (actual my brothers who is an avid mountain/ice climber) are the Exped Down Air Mattress. It absolutely rocks!!! We use two of them in the back of the cruiser with a fitted sheet over them.

What I like:

WARM, we have had them in near freezing and they did great. We'll see how they do in -30 this winter
COMFORT, way nicer then foam or my thickest thermarest
NON-SLIP surface, you won't slip around on these with a nylon sleeping bag
HEAVY DUTY, in both construction and materials
DESIGN, the head of the mattress and the sides have slightly larger ribs. this keeps you centered on the mat, a great idea. I also like that the storage bag is the pump and can be used for a pillow.
SIZE and WEIGHT, these things back small

What I don't like:

the inflation mechanism, it's a small thing but it takes about 10-12 "pumps" with the bag to inflate. In a small tent with two people it's a bit of a gong show to accomplish this.

I just ordered the Exped Down Air Mattress 7LW. Will update when used for a couple nights.

gb

How durable is the truck bed mattress? Say a dog walks across it, will the material stand up? Or would it tear?
I guess that would depend on the size of the dog and the condition of it's nails. How does your furniture at home hold up to your dog? I use a lite weight blanket/sheet over the top to help insure that the mattress stays clean. When camping on the ground I will put down a ground tarp, that I also sell, made of a similar fabric to help protect against sharp objects, and to keep it clean.

The nature of "Denier" is changing rapidly. Denier refers to the diameter of the yarn and technological improvements are making thinner yarns, stronger. As an extreme example, consider that Nomex was produced as a next generation of Nylon.

My ghetto way. I take the back seats out. Inflate a Full size air mattress. Use a couple of fleece blankets then my sleeping bag. A full size mattress will fit right between the rear wheels.

My ghetto way. I take the back seats out. Inflate a Full size air mattress. Use a couple of fleece blankets then my sleeping bag. A full size mattress will fit right between the rear wheels.

We fitted the back end of a 4 Runner with a Taco sized mattress this past weekend. With the front seats moved forward and the back seats folded down the mattress fits well and the rear hatch closes just fine. View it at RVandOffRoad.com.

I have a half-width platform/drawer in mine. I can put a fat Thermarest mattress (Base Camp model?) on it. With the back seat folded down it makes a pretty good place to sleep, with a slight incline for my upper body.

this is our untested setup, just waiting for cooler weather.

I tried a air mattress and just hated it. I had a futon mattress in my 80. I got fancy in my FJ55 and build a low sleep platform out of 5/8 ply and cedar 2 x 6. Traded headroom for storage because the wife hates being close to the roof. The mattress is out of a cheap used fold out couch we found for like $50 on cl to keep in the spare bedroom and use for this. The sizing is close to a full size in width but a little shorter at like 71" which is perfect. Also not too tall and can be folded. Got a hold of a mosquito net that we attach with magnets.
Keep the spare on a roof rack along with a removable rubber made box. When not set up for camping the rack comes off and the spare goes inside. No room underneath since I have a 50 gallon tank.

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

I just ordered the Exped Down Air Mattress 7LW. Will update when used for a couple nights.

gb

I got the Exped MegaMat a while ago, most comfortable I've ever been camping. Great sleeping mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom