Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen his stuff and it's impressive. The stuff from central america was pretty awesome too. I made a drop down one piece tail gate out of a pair of barn door fj40 rear doors, it turned out pretty good and is in good hands on a friend's 40.

Ya Awl-Teq stuff is as good as it can get, glad he has parts available again through his company he works for, it does fill the hole for certain parts needed and as good or better than factory.

Kief I am working on a tail gate skin taking out the highs and lows with hammer dolly and shrink disk. I am almost there , I will also use AWL-TEQ parts where needed they are exactly like NOS factory. The skin was a mess before I started bowed out from stuff sliding into it pushing it back. The areas that are circled are still high just time involved.
913F2471-9AC9-406F-BCB8-E814A14476B4.jpeg
A4A71229-4A35-438A-968E-A1A999B8D29D.jpeg
B6675777-333F-4378-BECB-2EF18ED20D6B.jpeg

Worked on setting the bed skins in place it went reasonably well. Still not perfect but manageable. The top rail went into place and looks good to me. Spent about 3 hours on both sides got them secured then welded the floor in with a bunch of Rosetts. After that I took the bed sides off and took the bed off and set it up on saw horses and will finish it Tuesday. The final assembly after a few final adjustments and grinding it should be completed and ready for primer powder coating let’s see if I am right.
E1C4B4D1-1733-407E-8F84-ED12CD8ACD30.jpeg

Explain "powder coat primer" please. On the frame or sheet metal?
When I complete the build process of the bed it will go to the powder coater and get complete sandblast then powder coated. Yes there are pro’s and cons of this process but for me it is practical to get the powder in places that it would be difficult to do with spray paint. When you powder coat a electrical charge is attached to the body that attracts the powder everywhere in the cracks and crevices. Then it is put into the oven and the heat sets off a reaction that triggers the powder to turn to liquid and smooth out and creates a great base coat for the top coating of the paint products, additionally it provides a airtight cover so the rust beatles don’t get started and destroy the project. With all new metal I want it to stay that way, hope I answered your questions. Best

Last edited:
So, a base primer, similar but better than an epoxy primer to be followed by traditional skim coat or fill primer, primer and paint, correct? Most epoxy primer has a maximum recoat time. Is that an issue with powder coat primer?

So, a base primer, similar but better than an epoxy primer to be followed by traditional skim coat or fill primer, primer and paint, correct? Most epoxy primer has a maximum recoat time. Is that an issue with powder coat primer?
You are right on of the above a light scratch and good to go for any primer if needed.

Here we have the second batch of pics of the process of assembly. The second pic is a repeat of the test fit on the truck and the others are of the bed on the saw horses doing the final assembly. It has gone well and less fit up and assembly issues vs the 45 that I am doing. I am waiting for the hinges so I can finish the tail gate section making sure all the edges are where they should be for that perfect fit. Yes it has been a process so far assembling this rascal but on the positive side it looks so nice to have new metal throughout that makes it worth it.
Will be heading up to my friends in Idaho to work on the 45 doing almost the same thing completing the bed for that one for those that are following that build. Another 45 restoration, Happy Thanksgiving.
C0598FD9-C844-4230-82AF-E6C33C487395.jpeg
984D127F-0FF2-4723-8235-F0129E91F214.jpeg
5005C5E9-EBAD-4BA7-8B78-0BE65CCE68F6.jpeg
44567133-C0BC-4F96-AA13-9581A53F7C34.jpeg
83478FC7-EA53-495F-BE56-17BFE0BF2A26.jpeg

Been putting in time on the bed but it is moving slow. The battery boxes are almost done basically need to put the tops on and set them in place. The back side covers are about the same , need to finish the plate that goes under the back left and right upright’s but the real reason I have to wait is the body work on the wheel wells are not done yet. Completion date is aprox early January not far off so I guess I will need to focus my energy on another
Item needing to be completed. When the time comes for the wheel well the pull trailer fender sides will be banged out so coming up will be some work ahead.

We have here some pics of the small trailer I am starting to gather parts for.
It willl pull behind the 35 as a overland camp set up and as long as I have the 45. The last pic is of an example of what I am trying to do to show you of what my intentions are. The next set are of the bed sides that I started on from a bed I acquired up in Montana a while back. The sides were not in good shape so I used the main parts and modified to length and then took them up to my friend in Tacoma Washington. Basically 3 pieces 2 of which were the top pieces with the curves and the last piece was for the bottom with for the wheel wells welded into it. Also the ends that go around the uprights were lazer cut to match the curvature of the fenders and welded to the ends.The bottom is a piece from 14ga a little stout but will be a bit less likely to get bent up. You can see where the welding seams are, all are butt welded by theTIG process. Yes a bunch of welding and along with that is warpage. That is why I took it to Dan an old body worker with plenty of good ol fashion experience hammer and dolly to handle all the particulars in the process. He will have the 2 sets of wheel wells finished along with these sides mid January. The dimensions Of the bed are 65” long and factory wide I am pleased how the project is coming together.
5ECD1DCC-B2FD-422B-A006-0D5FE817E5DF.jpeg
3F0533BD-6EED-4C9E-B567-7AF0AB6BEB35.jpeg
7EFFE4FA-E529-4C28-AE83-E2C1C1F3AB53.jpeg
EAAB3963-4BDF-49A2-83A3-580F2BF6A142.jpeg
1C57090E-C48B-4CEA-BDE6-6C284D1743BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet..
Good luck getting in and out quickly at the gas station. That will be a conversation starter for sure!

Sweet..
Good luck getting in and out quickly at the gas station. That will be a conversation starter for sure!
Kief
Ya I agree with you on that topic, it is starting with my neighborhood as soon as I open the garage and start the music people start coming around. It is fun to show them my work and chat, as the saying goes I have a bunch of time and no money.

Spent a bit of time today working on the 35 bed trying to complete loose ends. I am closer, the things that are in front of me are small not real noticeable but necessary to get things just right. The let and right floor side needed just a small piece extension under the new addition for support, so it would sit level and support the rear fender upright as seen in the pic below. A bit more shaping to the curve to finalize it will make it more eye appealing and I will be a happy camper. As I mentioned before I am waiting for the inside wheel wells so I can button up the pickup box and send it in for primer powder coating later in January.

3A64570B-2F40-47BB-90DD-DFF36115893C.jpeg

Started thinking that I need to make sure that the battery I have planned to use (yellow top) will fit in the box. Yep will need a slight trimming so it will work. Made a wooden box the size of the battery and as you can see it is tight a little slicing and dicing and away we go to get the box welded in.
92C9A060-675B-4A20-A812-4142ADF0F373.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom