Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Playing around somehow I came up with about 1/2” in my mind no rime or reason. However now I will be able to prove this and make sure that the placement is correct. TNX a bunch for the numbers and the process to figure out this process for placement.
Last couple of work days I have been pealing the rear bed panels off and getting ready to do the major Streighting and getting ready to lay out the wheels wells to where the rear axel is positioned. The only thing I have going for this process is there is plenty of thick metal to work with. I figured out the numbers that I have designed for the bed length and roughed out the aprox length for front and rear of the wheel wells to make it come out right. As with anything I have done with this project it has been an incinerator for time. So I keep plugging along working till I get to the point of done for the day. I will have pics soon to share soon.

Posted last night on Hand Forged page
37B3A002-5511-4F55-A573-DAF731B115CA.jpeg
E8D03E4C-FD99-4785-B0F0-6594624C5C57.jpeg
about my work yesterday. Meant to be on my page, now I know he saw it for sure. Anyhow was working on shrinking some on the rear bed panels. PO let some heavy objects bang around inside the box. Additionally the fender below the floor was bent in the opposite direction. So I started shrinking and hammer dollying the metal Bach in the right direction. Great progress was made, wish I had a English wheel make it go faster anyhow just another day in the shop,

Posted last night on Hand Forged page View attachment 2189565View attachment 2189566about my work yesterday. Meant to be on my page, now I know he saw it for sure. Anyhow was working on shrinking some on the rear bed panels. PO let some heavy objects bang around inside the box. Additionally the fender below the floor was bent in the opposite direction. So I started shrinking and hammer dollying the metal Bach in the right direction. Great progress was made, wish I had a English wheel make it go faster anyhow just another day in the shop,
Today I removed the hooks off the top rail of of the bed top rail, various tedious moves . To my surprise the thickness was about 18 ha and not much giving for fast work. Anyhow I got them out and will spending carful moves to make them useful for my friend.

Today I beefed up the tub mounts from when I installed them. I put a 1/4” plate as a spacer to lift the cab up a bit. This set up will add to the body lift and make it total of one inch total and will aid in the front clip parts to align up right. I have a total of 6 overall mount points and 4 across the back for support. As you can see these are just tacked in and will fully welded shortly after one more placement of the tub on the frame and look more finished. Just being careful to make sure it is what I want for fitment.

Today’s project was to finish the one leg vice stand and mount the vice I was able to mostly finish and it felt good
AEB40247-A2BC-4EBB-84B9-83F1E5363492.jpeg
to bring this almost to a close it will help in holding parts for repair and welding them. Onward to other projects for the 35...

Today’s project was to finish the one leg vice stand and mount the vice I was able to mostly finish and it felt good View attachment 2197116to bring this almost to a close it will help in holding parts for repair and welding them. Onward to other projects for the 35...
Looks like a good setup.

Bouncing around a bit on stuff that has to be done. I picked up from Kevin the headboard kit/parts to start on the 35. I am going to have a cover for the back bed so I like the idea of making the bows, curves to match stock head board. So the pics are of the assembly of those. It is so nice to get stuff from a person that really cars about quality. I read in one of his post’s recently that he may be hanging it up. A great loss to our community. Pics are of the welded up to shaped and ground and what it looks like in completed version.
AFFAEE77-9A31-47F3-8496-025AEDF607AC.jpeg
461AC3D6-7902-4906-BDBA-B521A69A3E69.jpeg
2C308B0E-1774-4CAB-88FB-F626574003B1.jpeg

Got an appointment to go to Rough Stuff next week for their axel guys to measure for inner chromoly shafts and burfs. Yes the ol 35 is going to be on its feet soon, YES...

If you don't already have a belt grinder, go ahead and get that on the list. So many things that you never knew you needed until you get to use one and then BANG it's essential. I never thought I needed a brake but my project is teaching me it would have been a really nice thing to have. I have a big shear and while I use it occasionally, for purposes other than intended, most of the time it's just a waste of space. Seriously, the belt grinder is the best tool in my shop by a long shot.

An another good day today in the shop. The only thing I took a pick of the finishing touches on the rear bumper. Installed the safety chain D rings on the back side of the bumper out of the way so it cleaned things up a bit. Last bit is the light plus coming later next week. As o get more pics of the rest of the day I will share.
630053C6-6E63-4929-8F04-DD604033622A.jpeg

Well today I ground some of the bed panels somehow it got doubled guess I hit something twice. Anyhow I will continue to do the rest as I am building 2 beds one for the 45 and one for the 35.

Started fitting up the bed and a few pics of that process. First is a pic of one of the battery boxes the others are
58595E50-D9FA-44A8-96A4-65B828136BE7.jpeg
188BE50E-E14E-4947-9559-7AD37C25375A.jpeg
20F6D51F-1E5C-472D-94A7-AAA7D5984714.jpeg
E318F230-D4AD-45ED-94B7-48EDF14F3F8B.jpeg
955894EC-94AE-4020-BE0F-CC2CCE5FAB7D.jpeg
n self explanatory. Needed to install the tail gate so I could make sure the width was ok when I install the rear panels. Kevin as usual has made the gate perfect. It is nice when there are people out there that take pride in there work, we will miss him, mabe in the distant future he might get back into the picture.
Now I can start the process of addressing the sizing down of the side panels always something to do along with finishing the floor panels, cutting down he rear sides as well as grinding the welds, always tomorrow.

Amazing work, one if my favorite builds on mud...so inspirational!
Glad you are enjoying my build, it has been a long time coming and I am trying to power through to get it done. Still a ways off however, it showed some progress yesterday after all the pieces were individually worked. Back on the tub today inching my way to complete the reinforcement of the back of the tub. I sure missed on how long it would take to complete that part. Many hours of stitching the pieces as to not warp in the process.
I have been mostly successful except for one area and I will be able to fix it.

Got an appointment to go to Rough Stuff next week for their axel guys to measure for inner chromoly shafts and burfs. Yes the ol 35 is going to be on its feet soon, YES...
Went over to Rough Stuff yesterday, guys were great in helping me get the measurements needed. Quite a process to make sure the numbers are correct. Next week I will contact RCV to give them the numbers so the axels splines can be cut and move forward. I keep reminding myself that you have to go slow to go fast.

Went over to Rough Stuff yesterday, guys were great in helping me get the measurements needed. Quite a process to make sure the numbers are correct. Next week I will contact RCV to give them the numbers so the axels splines can be cut and move forward. I keep reminding myself that you have to go slow to go fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom