Skid Plate Oil Filter Mod (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did something similar on my 21' in the first 1000 miles. I used a 6" diamond blade hole saw. I am running the Jowett Filter housing & ez drain valve on the pan.
IMG_3601.jpeg
IMG_3611.jpeg

Did you take any pictures? I would love to see.

I just took a jig saw and cut a 4.5" hole with the skid plate on the vehicle.
I cut it parallel "with the filter removal angle" so when you remove the filter housing it comes straight out.

Last edited:
I did something similar on my 21' in the first 1000 miles. I used a 6" diamond blade hole saw. I am running the Jowett Filter housing & ez drain valve on the pan.
View attachment 2999271View attachment 2999272
That looks very clean. I like it. I think I would go a little less than 6" since I don't have the jwoett (sp?) Valve and only need vertical access. My 3D printed hole cap may be fully unnecessary, but I will probably make it just for the practice.

Do you know if it bolts in to the stock locations?

Also, any clue if the rest of the panels work with this system. It's my wife's (for now) and I really don't want to alter the look.
if you just go with the front, engine & transmission plates mount up to stock bolt holes. the 1/4" aluminum offers a lot more protection than stock

tempImage6Fq5es.png

View attachment 2999271View attachment 2999272
No issues with this? I wouldn't have the Jowlett, but using the metal casing used on other Toyotas. I would also want to re-use the hole that was cut out (somehow) to continue to cover the area and prevent it from getting road stuff on it.

I have 17,000 miles on mine now and haven’t had an issue, but really do no off-roading more than a fire road. I had originally wanted to keep the cut out and find a way to re incorporate it but it just didn’t work! Obiv it’s not been high on my priority list but I would just like to get a rubber clean out plug to go in it!

Weld three small tabs with holes in them on the part cut with the hole saw, three holes with nutserts on the factory skid, and you have an elegant solution.

My 200 came with ARB skid plates, which do NOT have access plates for either the oil filter or drain plug. Made me quite displeased to discover that when I did my first oil change, especially when I noticed that because of the way the ARB sections interconnect, you need to remove ALL of them to get at the oil filter and drain plug.

Wish the previous owner had bought Bud Built or Slee skid plates instead
Sorry to hear, but good to know… I was considering the ARB as they fit my use case, but was concerned with maintanence.

Sorry to hear, but good to know… I was considering the ARB as they fit my use case, but was concerned with maintanence.
Grab the LFD skid. Access to the oil filter and the pan drain bolt and they are beefy.

ARB skid plate.

pic

LC200 Oil Inspection PLate.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom