Simple/Cheap Sleeping Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At this last minute, I found myself needing to take my high school age son and 3 of his friends on an overnight trip. It wasn't a normal overnight camping trip, but one where they would all participate in in a 24 hour continuous trail run/relay race through the mountains outside of San Diego. Every 30-90 minutes one runner finishes and another one starts, meaning that all through the night one runner is coming back to camp, waking up another runner, putting on headlamps/shoes/gear and eventually coming back to try to get some sleep.

I decided I wouldn't get any sleep in that environment, so I looked through the forum for ideas on a simple sleeping platform. I wanted something where I could sleep in the truck overnight and hopefully get enough sleep to feel good about driving them all back to Arizona the next day.

I needed something that would allow second row to be up while driving, because there would be 3 people sitting back there for the 6 hour drive out and back. Also needed to have everyone's gear in the back, so something that didn't take up a lot of room was key. Posting a few photos and descriptions for anyone else that has a similar need.

image8.jpeg

I started by creating two different platforms. One would be on legs and fit behind an upright second row (with 2x4's supporting it) and the other one would lay on top of the second row. I wanted to make sure that the second row could recline a little bit so it would be comfortable in the second row for a long drive. The rear platform is 2'8" wide and 3'6" long. I wanted it to be over the 60 portion of the 60/40 split seat and pushed as far up against the side of the cargo area as possible. This creates a couple issues. First is that the rear of the cargo areas notches inward, so you have to make a notch in the rear portion. Second is that the wheel well cuts into the cargo area as well--I built the platform over the wheel well, but the 2x4 supporting it had to moved inward to avoid the wheel well. This allows for storage underneath which was one of the goals.

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

It took a little bit of trial and error to get the second platform to work. I went with the same 2'8" width and a 2'6" long platform. I'm 6'2" so wanted as much length to the platform as I could get while still fitting in the front seat. This dimension did require me to move the front seat forward a little bit, but there was still enough room to get into the cab.

To make the overall platform level, I needed to adjust the eight of the 2x4's supporting the platform in the cargo area so that they would be level with the top of the folded down second row. The rear cargo area also dips down when you get close to the back of the second row. I opted to move the 2x4 supports back a little so that they were on the level part of the cargo floor just to the rear of where the floor dips down. Below is a photo over the rear portion with the second row seats folded down.

image6.jpeg

I wanted something that would keep the two portions of the platform attached to each other, so I decided to attach them with a 1x4 strip that would be bolted into each portion of the platform. I also didn't want to have to get tools out assemble it while on the road. First I bolted the 1x4 onto the portion that lays on the second row seats. Then I drilled holes in the 1x4 and the rear platform where I could insert bolts and put wing nuts on it to make is secure.

image7.jpeg

Once assembled, I put a memory foam mattress on top of it. I picked this up on Amazon--it was $117 when I bought it, looks like the price has gone up since then. It came with the pillow shown in the photo. Beware that the mattress is pretty big, even when rolled up. It did fit underneath the rear platform.

Amazon product ASIN B0BQ2QVW1C
I was worried about whether I would feel the top of the bolts when laying on it, but it wasn't an issue at all.

image0.jpeg

With the second row up, I had to find a place to put the front portion for the drive out and back. Ended up just flipping it upside down and putting it on top of the rear platform. It would move around a bit with nothing on it, but once things are packed on top of the it there's no movement.

image2.jpeg

Cost:

A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood was about $50. I opted for a better-quality plywood because the front portion is sitting directly on the folded down second row. Home Depot cut it into the dimension I needed at not cost. I already had a 2x4 that I cut for the legs. Bolts, nuts, washers wing nuts were about $10. The mattress pad was pricey (and even pricier now, it seems) but was totally worth it.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't trust the guy at Home Depot when he says 1/2 plywood is plenty thick. It is not. I ended up building this twice. First with 1/2" plywood and then again with 3/4" in plywood. I'm 190 lbs and 3/4" plywood worked well.
2. Add some bracing to the 2x4's that support the platform. I just drilled in two wood screws to each leg from the top of the platform. It worked, but when shifting the platform around the legs can tilt. I think that a 90 degree brace screwed into the leg and the bottom of the platform would fix that.

One last note that I should have made up front: I removed the 3rd row seats from my 200 long ago. You could probably do this same build with the 3rd row seats installed, but you would need to fold down both sides of the second row. Hope this helps someone who's looking for the same type of solution.

Keep it simple. I like it. I built nearly the exact same thing a couple months ago. Except I just used wood pegs to hold the 2 pieces together and so far so good. Plus I use the same wood pegs to keep the top piece from sliding around when it's not in sleeping mode with holes drilled at the tailgate end. I tested 1/2" plywood too and realized that at 210lbs I needed 3/4. I did mine for 3rd row installed and a week after I built it the wife's new 3 row kid hauler showed up finally so now I get to build it again to make it wider after I remove 3rd row seats. But after seeing yours I actually may make it narrower to fit the 60/40 and gain back some cargo space.

I drool over the ADGU sleeper system drawers weekly but for how often I'm able to actually get away to use it I can't justify the cost.
20230920_181518.jpg
20230918_185940.jpg
20230918_185842.jpg
20230923_133317.jpg

Well done! This looks good and is inspiring.

How tall are those legs in the cargo area?

They are 11 3/4", but I do have them sitting on top of a rubber cargo mat. When I removed the 3rd row seats I bought a Heritage Edition cargo mat which is what it sits on top of. If you aren't using a rear mat, you'd want to make them a little longer. Here is a photo of the mat for reference.

IMG_7174.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom