200 Series Drawers/Sleeping Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wasn’t sure whether to post this in 200, Overland or Camping thread, but thought I’d give it a go here.

I’m looking for (and have searched these forums) ideas for building a set of rear drawers that can be extended forwards in to a sleeping platform.

I want to keep the second row in-situ and essentially get to camp, fold them forward and then extend the drawers to create a sleeping platform for me, my wife and my son.

I’d originally planned to do a lightweight RTT but having already got a Troopy with a pop-top in the fleet, want to keep the 200 more every day useable without the worry of headroom etc, and look more subtle.

I won’t do a fridge, instead going down the cool box route, so that can easily come out of the back and either on a front seat or outside the car when camping.

Any ideas, designs, examples, or even manufacturers who make such a thing?

You'll be better off leaving the 2nd row seats flat but folded. They will rob a lot of length if you tumble them forward, you might not fit.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your concept.

I wasn’t sure whether to post this in 200, Overland or Camping thread, but thought I’d give it a go here.

I’m looking for (and have searched these forums) ideas for building a set of rear drawers that can be extended forwards in to a sleeping platform.

I want to keep the second row in-situ and essentially get to camp, fold them forward and then extend the drawers to create a sleeping platform for me, my wife and my son.

I’d originally planned to do a lightweight RTT but having already got a Troopy with a pop-top in the fleet, want to keep the 200 more every day useable without the worry of headroom etc, and look more subtle.

I won’t do a fridge, instead going down the cool box route, so that can easily come out of the back and either on a front seat or outside the car when camping.

Any ideas, designs, examples, or even manufacturers who make such a thing?
I believe you just explained our SS1 system.

It was designed from the ground up to be a fast deploying sleeping platform in 2017 and has since been tweaked, refined and improved to be the lean, mean sleeping and storage machine it is today, haha.

Let us know if we can answer any questions on it. We're confident it's the best system out there to do what you're describing.

I guess you could say hidden in plain sight. Missed that one.

Does the second row fold flat but not forward, the ln the platform extends and sits on top, without the need for any bracing underneath?

Any photos that f the set up through the passenger doors? Everything on your site only shows through rear tailgate.

You'll be better off leaving the 2nd row seats flat but folded. They will rob a lot of length if you tumble them forward, you might not fit.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your concept.
Good point.

At the moment I only have a fixed rear bench (UN spec) so haven’t measured up inside.

I’ve picked up a set of 60/40 split seats I’ll install before I look at the rear set up.

I guess you could say hidden in plain sight. Missed that one.

Does the second row fold flat but not forward, the ln the platform extends and sits on top, without the need for any bracing underneath?

Any photos that f the set up through the passenger doors? Everything on your site only shows through rear tailgate.
That's a great point you bring up! Here's a side-shot showing the sleeper as it rests on the 2nd row. Very simple, very fast to deploy/stow and very sturdy. We've loaded over 1000 pounds onto the platform with no issues.

PXL_20230228_165309768.MP.jpg

Can confirm the ADGU unit is what you're looking for. I've had one for a year and a half now and it is primo--was just out at a big meetup and had numerous people asking me about it. Throw an Exped mattress on top and it's the most convenient and comfortable sleep you'll get camping

That's a great point you bring up! Here's a side-shot showing the sleeper as it rests on the 2nd row. Very simple, very fast to deploy/stow and very sturdy. We've loaded over 1000 pounds onto the platform with no issues.

View attachment 3469827
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if there was a supporting frame.

Now just need to work on logistics of how it could be shipped to the UAE

Even with a platform, I think it would be really tight back there for 2 adults and one kid. I would consider coming up with some kind of cot for the child...

Kids Kot — Rig Racks

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if there was a supporting frame.

Now just need to work on logistics of how it could be shipped to the UAE
We've had a few customers use freight forwarders in Miami or New York with success. I've also had a ton of customers use that sort of service for my key fob kits (YotaMD).

Even with a platform, I think it would be really tight back there for 2 adults and one kid. I would consider coming up with some kind of cot for the child...

Kids Kot — Rig Racks
Thanks. I’m pretty sure it’s as wide as my Hercules roof which we just did 10 weeks in around Europe, so a few nights here and there ain’t gonna hurt.

Can confirm the ADGU unit is what you're looking for. I've had one for a year and a half now and it is primo--was just out at a big meetup and had numerous people asking me about it. Throw an Exped mattress on top and it's the most convenient and comfortable sleep you'll get camping

Exact same here: 2 years (2 camping seasons); also use the xped mattress as well. It is crazy comfortable. Best sleep I've ever had camping.

With the mattress in place, the fold out top part of the platform is very stable.

I know OP is UAE, but I'm in snow country, and the drawers held up well to 50+ days of throwing wet skis and snowboards on them as well.

Exact same here: 2 years (2 camping seasons); also use the xped mattress as well. It is crazy comfortable. Best sleep I've ever had camping.

With the mattress in place, the fold out top part of the platform is very stable.

I know OP is UAE, but I'm in snow country, and the drawers held up well to 50+ days of throwing wet skis and snowboards on them as well.
That's awesome to hear!

I use the Dobinsons drawers for this in my 100, and am planning to use the ARB drawers in my 200. Fold down the second row, roll a camp mat down over top, and we’re good to go. I‘m 6’5” and fit just fine.

Edit: that ADGU unit looks amazing

IMG_2161.jpeg

I use the Dobinsons drawers for this in my 100, and am planning to use the ARB drawers in my 200. Fold down the second row, roll a camp mat down over top, and we’re good to go. I‘m 6’5” and fit just fine.

Edit: that ADGU unit looks amazing
This^
Get drawers, fold the seats forward and put a mattress on it.

20200819_223022.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom