show off your hi-lift mount (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call's himself a Knight of the Iron Pig's yet is that a Saginaw PS pump I see???

Not Armstrong Steering????? Cushy...any sales at Pier 1?

Well, Pighead went Armstrong for the first 15 years, up to 33s....but if you go SOA you might as well add discs, and power steering...and Scout is the way to go...on a 55...
You doubting my credentials?
Yes, I refer to myself as a KOIP...because Mr. Whatley does.

Well, the vacuum lines and emissions "computers" may have been reserved for the US.
Hmmmm...a Hi-Lift trailer hitch mount? That would keep it low...
Watch your kneecaps.

What are these "special vacuum lines" and "computer boxes" you speak of Pighead? The Arakawa plant must have forgotten to put those under the hood of my 60.:D
On the other hand, I have thought a hi-lift mount that slides into the reciever hitch might be nice. It would have to be up where it wouldn't drag offroad, but yet be out of the way of the tailgate. Of course that would put it right where I could smack my kneecap on it.:doh:

Should we ask Woody to open a special "Pissing Match" subsection?

Last edited:
Back on topic

I have been pondering the mounting location for years.
On my old IH Scout II I used some basic mounts from the hardware store. The things you use to hold a 2x4 across a door for security. I used a few pins with cotter pins to hold it in place and it held for 6k miles through Mexico from SF to Chiapas to Texas and back. This was back in the early nineties.
CabritoinfronofCactusFence-1.jpg

Here is sort of a close up – (That would be me on the left about a hundred years ago)
multipage0003_1Large.jpg

I started playing around with the mounting on the cruiser with this setup using grade 8 bolts but it’s a little to low to the ground.

SawmillRace2k8068Frostymorningcabri.jpg

So this weekend I played around with this:
One with nylock nuts and one with wing nuts. Using 1/2" grade 8 bolts again. I used some steel sleeve things to space it up off the bumper.
DeathValley003.jpg

DeathValley004.jpg

I like the idea of the wingnuts but I am worried about them coming loose on harsh washboard terrain.

I am also looking into putting it up on the roof rack. More on that later maybe.

Secruing wingnuts there is simple. Tighten them to where you want them to be, then mark the ear of each nut that is closest to the other nut. Drill a small hole in those ears and hook a spring between them.

Those clamp-on mounts shown way back yonder early in the thread look to be from Fourtreks.com

I got tired of carrying my HL and it is now a driveway ornament. I carry this instead:

Jack.jpg

This isn't a hi-lift, but it's applicable to any bumper/rack. Just some tabs welded on my ladder that'll hold the lift.

I'm actually just figuring out mounting hardware now. I'm thinking 1/2 inch standard hex bolts with some metal washers and rubber washers, with wing nuts to hold them on. I can just copper wire them in place, or double nut them. Thoughts on hardware solution?

hi lift mount.jpg

Edit - I meant it's not an ARB.
hi lift mount.jpg

Last edited:
so you know what to do with yoru high lift, but how many vacuum hoses do you have? Maybe you could use the extra vacuum hoses to secure the hi-lift...

When you get it rigged up post up and let us see what you came up with.

This isn't a hi-lift, but it's applicable to any bumper/rack. Just some tabs welded on my ladder that'll hold the lift.

I'm actually just figuring out mounting hardware now. I'm thinking 1/2 inch standard hex bolts with some metal washers and rubber washers, with wing nuts to hold them on. I can just copper wire them in place, or double nut them. Thoughts on hardware solution?

View attachment 304816

Edit - I meant it's not an ARB.
I got this from old school desert racers who used this trick to keep air filter wingnuts from vibrating loose.
Securing wingnuts there is simple. Tighten them to where you want them to be, then mark the ear of each nut that is closest to the other nut. Drill a small hole in those ears and hook a spring between them.

I'm kinda grooving on using lug nuts to secure the hi-lift. Slows down the sticky-finger set.

FWIW, my hi-lift currently rides in the passenger floorboard, bungied to the seat mounts. 2 leggeds don't ride back there very often, 4 leggeds can get in on the side where the top of the jack is, and it rides in the vinyl bag to keep mud & dog hair from clogging up the works.

Secruing wingnuts there is simple. Tighten them to where you want them to be, then mark the ear of each nut that is closest to the other nut. Drill a small hole in those ears and hook a spring between them.

Those clamp-on mounts shown way back yonder early in the thread look to be from Fourtreks.com

I got tired of carrying my HL and it is now a driveway ornament. I carry this instead:

Jack.jpg

Please tell me where to find something like this? If you have ever tried to roll a jack on gravel you would know how usefull this could be.

thanks

I built it. Jacking on soft ground is the prime reason for it's shape, but sliding it under vehicles was also a consideration.
I have considered making a small production run of them.

This is how I carried it on my old '79 Suburban that was primarily built for chasing desert racers:
7491.jpg

I'll eventually need to adapt that carrier to the FJ's rear bumper swing-away.

No way would I build the carrier as a production item. It took too much messing around with to get it right.
The skid could be done and I know the guy to cut and bend them. I'll talk to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom