Show me where the starter is (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having the same problem everyone else runs into. The starter that works when it wants too. I want to replace the contacts and plunger, but don't know where they are in the truck. Please send a diagram. You can email it to jmaruschak@othon.com

Thanks.

I expected that. And deserved it. Some day I will break down and buy one. Only problem......I will be tearing into EVERYTHING then! And will be divorced.

It's under the engine on the driver's side. One bolt is accessible from the driver's side wheel well and the other from the underside.

If your LX is anything like mine, the starter was put in by a 500lb gorilla and I could not loosen the bolts after soaking them for 48hrs and using a breaker bar with a 48" cheater extension!

The starter is in the drivers side of the engine, lower down, and back towards the firewall. The Transmissions filler pipe gets in the way a little so follow the transmission filler pipe down and you should see the starter. For some reason it tends to stay shinier than most under the hood items.

Its not complicated to remove, but I ended up just replacing it with a rebuilt one in the interest of time. Then I bought the contact kit from Cdan so now I can have a spare one to plop in after another 90K or so.

BTW, the $ for the FSM will absolutely be the best ones and highest return on spending that you get.

TLC, I agree on the FSM. I love it, and would have it sitting on the back of the throne for those long breaks away from the kids. I just have to break down and buy one. Haven't yet, and the starter is only working about 40% of the time on the first crank. And it flat out sleeps with repeated cranking about 10% of the time. A little embarassing when taking clients out.

Mudshack,

You will be more embarassed when the thing leaves you and your clients stranded. A failing starter needs to be fixed ASAP.

You can spend $10 and download all of the manuals from TIS or just pull down the starter section if you are in a pinch for time.

-B-

It's not that bad of a job, removing the wires first gives you more room to get the top bolt. I did it all from underneath, the starter slides out the bottom between the frame and motor. Don't know how tight the bolts were, pulled them with a 3/8" impact, the top bolt took a 6" extension and the bottom took a 3" with a universal.

When my starter was acting up, I carried a box wrench in the door pocket - to remove the battery connection quickly when the starter contacts fused...

Mudshack said:
Only problem......I will be tearing into EVERYTHING then! And will be divorced.

Ditto That! I learned that firsthand! I got my FSM and through many nights on the crapper, found all sorts of cool stuff that needed to be "Fixed"

The FSM has helped me a lot, but also made me spend $ on stuff the probably didnt need to be done! Oh well! Its fun!

MMM....beo...what is this TIS you speak of?

Mudshack said:
TLC, I agree on the FSM. I love it, and would have it sitting on the back of the throne for those long breaks away from the kids. I just have to break down and buy one. Haven't yet.

You continue to sport that Lone Star Land Cruiser avatar, yet you don't attend any LSLC meetings nor call the other "Lone Star" members in your area for help. So I found you a new avatar, more indicative of your "independent" and "individual" style:
greenm&m.gif

I wondered how long it would be until you gave me some sh*t Jim. How ya doing? Been a while.

Mudshack said:
I wondered how long it would be until you gave me some sh*t Jim. How ya doing? Been a while.

Me and my FSM are still spending time together in my garage. :flipoff2:

I have a deal for you. You supply two sets of starter contact parts from CDan and I'll supply the FSM, the tools and the garage and we'll do these together. I'll even call your house and ask your wife if you can come out and play. :flipoff2:

And bring your $25 LSLC membership check.

elmariachi said:
nor call the other "Lone Star" members in your area for help. So I found you a new avatar, more indicative of your "independent" and "individual" style:

Jim, people tell me the same thing all the time. It's not that we're "independent", "individual" or unsocialable....we're just (self sufficient) and would rather help others... than to be helped.

As soon as I get my parts from C-Dan I'm gonna see what I can "muff up" by myself! I should have waited for cooler weather.

"I should have waited for cooler weather..."

Spoken like a true texan. I tried to motivate myself to install the remote starter before the hot weather came (the reason for buying it). But no. I am only 75% done, and have to muster up the energy to wake up at 5am to work on the truck. Otherwise I fear the vultures will cook my well-done body.

I wish i had local board members like Jim around here. I would probably be a permanent fixture to Jim's garage floor.

FYI the write up on slees site is a big help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom