Should I Paint the tie rod ends and calipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm assuming the answer will be yes and to just tape off the rubber parts (seems too risky to try to take the rubber pieces off) and threads for the tie rod end and the bolts, and interior parts of the caliper. Or should I be taking the pads out and stripping the caliper down as much as possible before painting? Plan on using black VHT high gloss caliper paint and krylon rust tough enamel for the TRE's.

Thank you to @cruiseroutfit for super fast shipping, great prices and customer service!

Tie rod and calipers.jpg

I'm assuming the answer will be yes and to just tape off the rubber parts (seems too risky to try to take the rubber pieces off) and threads for the tie rod end and the bolts, and interior parts of the caliper. Or should I be taking the pads out and stripping the caliper down as much as possible before painting? Plan on using black VHT high gloss caliper paint and krylon rust tough enamel for the TRE's.

Thank you to @cruiseroutfit for super fast shipping, great prices and customer service!

View attachment 2553456
The tre will almost certainly rust no matter what. The calipers are zinc plated and won’t corrode. I painted mine black because.... what the hey?

Definitely paint the TREs, they will eventually rust either way but the paint will put it off for a while.

Painted my calipers with Foliatec Brake caliper paint. Wanted a bit contrast in all black chassis color scheme and chose darkish grey color.
IMG_20180930_144139.jpg

For TRE:s I tried a mixture of Linseed oil and tar. Brushed it on let it "soak in" couple of days and wiped off them. Again wanted some contrast and did not want to paint so I wouldn´t have to mask the rubbers and threads etc.
IMG_20200708_130816.jpg

I am way to lazy to paint a tre (if it is rusted replace it) so to drive and be save no need to paint.
To be save always replace 5 tie rods the day after buying the cruiser.

While on the table you can switch the fill zerc and fill a bit untill they blow up slightly and move the tre around. (but these seem factory filled, should be fine for 20 years)

file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom