Should I Keep This Torque Wrench? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

I bought a Craftsman clickable torque wrench, model 31423, only to realize upon getting it home that it's 25-250 in. lbs., not ft. lbs. as I thought when I bought it.

Are there many applications on the FZJ80 where I will need to have a torque wrench for such low settings? I was thinking about returning it for a TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound, which is basically the same money on Amazon (about forty bucks).

I realize the crank bolt setting is over 150 (and I'm just going to rent or buy and return one for that one job), but are there other fittings on the truck for which I will need a lower or higher torque wrench than 10-150 foot pounds? I'd rather not own (buy) two torque wrenches unless it's really necessary.

What specifically would I need a 25-250 in. lbs. torque wrench for?

Thanks
Russell

Funny. I made the same mistake years ago. I have used it once for something I can't remember.

I have used my small torque wrench maybe 3 or 4 times but can't remember what for specifically. However, I'd say that it's not a bad thing to have around especially if you are going to tighten some bolts in aluminum or have critical applications like oil pans etc. Also along those lines I would guess that using the big torque wrench at the lowest end of its range would likely give you much worse accuracy than the small one at its high end. So if you anticipate using them around 10-20 ftlbs and especially so for potentially critical application, the 250 inchlbs might be good to have if money is not critical.
(and don't keep any wound up in storage... :) )

I'd return it for a larger torque wrench that you will actually put to use.

For something that requires the precision of an inch/lb. torque wrench, I prefer a beam, dial or digital wrench over a click type anyways :meh:

I've found that the less range a torque wrench has, the more accurate it tends to be and the longer it will remain within calibration, so I would prefer a 20-150 ft/lb. wrench over a 20-250 ft/lb. wrench :wrench:

As for the crank bolt, you can use a regular torque wrench and an extension to get it done :)

Here's one I welded up using a couple of extensions and a steel bar....

TQwrenchExtension4.JPG

TQwrenchExtension7.JPG

You can use this online calculator to figure out the length you need and torque setting you need in order to meet your desired torque (for mine, I just had to set my torque wrench at 118 ft/lbs.)

The only thing you need in-lbs for, that I can think of, is preload on the 3rd member.

And even then, that one is too big for the job ;)

PS - I made the same mistake as well the first time I bought a torque wrench.

I remember first torque wrench...lol all jokes aside, if you don't need it, return it for something you need. However, you can never have too many tools.

Hey Mudders,

I bought a Craftsman clickable torque wrench, model 31423, only to realize upon getting it home that it's 25-250 in. lbs., not ft. lbs. as I thought when I bought it.

Are there many applications on the FZJ80 where I will need to have a torque wrench for such low settings? I was thinking about returning it for a TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound, which is basically the same money on Amazon (about forty bucks).

I realize the crank bolt setting is over 150 (and I'm just going to rent or buy and return one for that one job), but are there other fittings on the truck for which I will need a lower or higher torque wrench than 10-150 foot pounds? I'd rather not own (buy) two torque wrenches unless it's really necessary.

What specifically would I need a 25-250 in. lbs. torque wrench for?

Thanks
Russell

I vote keep it. Maybe use it for your bike or other small jobs around the garage.

The TEKTON is a nice unit. Got one from Amax@n and have not regretted it once

I got a lot of use out of mine. Just the thing when installing manual Aisin hubs. I used it again on Saturday to install a new PCV valve in the 200. Also perfect for installing and checking the torx screws on the rings in TRD Rock Warrior wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom