should i change oil pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing the oil pan gasket and was wondering if i should change out the oil pump. i do have really low oil pressure at 700 rpm. it does increase with a rev of the engine. like all these 2 f engines. will a new pump help at low idle? thanks

I'd say oil pressure is a combination of bearing clearance and oil volume being fed by the pump. Since low RPM isn't going to change, you'd need to find a high volume oil pump to increase pressure. Finding a high volume FJ-40 oil pump is going to be hard if even built at all. I'd start my search looking for a Melling oil pump.

If you pressure is in the normal range while driving normally I'd leave it be.

i would only use a stock pump. i see them out there for $200. I guess if I rev and pressure goes up means it is working. i think it is rather binary. either the pump works or not?

Are you using a stock gauge or are you checking it with a good aftermarket setup? I would start with verifying the actual pressure it's putting out with an analog gauge at warm idle. You'll be surprised what you find. I'm sure others will chime in here and I'm no expert, but 7-10 psi per 1K RPM is probably adequate for these engines.

Your bearings will wear and effect oil pressure long before your oil pump will wear out and reduce volume. Oil pressure itself is an indicator of both bearing clearance and oil flow...the reading itself is not the only thing that matters. A heavier viscosity oil will give you increased pressure, but reduced flow. The opposite will happen with reduced viscosity, higher flow and lower pressure. Personally, I would value flow over pressure.

In this case, unless you've experienced a sharp drop recently, you're probably fine.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom