Shop and cooling system rant. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my 02 LX 470 a year and a half ago with 198,000 on the odometer. So, I had a local mechanic I know well do a timing belt and water pump replacement. $900.00. That Summer the factory fan pully went out, so I had him replace that as well as a new radiator, fan clutch, belt and tensioner pully while he was in there because I was planning a trip to the Mojave Road in the Fall and wanted the whole cooling system up to snuff. $1,300.00 I also replaced all of the AHC fluid, oil change, diff oil and new spark plugs myself. One month before my trip the newly replaced fan pully went out again and he replaced it under warrantee. I get back from my Mojave Road trip and the fan pully seizes up for a third time. He warrantees it again but this time I told him to order the part from Lexus, no more O Riley's krap, I'll pay for the factory part. I'm P/Od at this point, and I'm concerned that every other Chinese aftermarket BS he put on my truck is going to fail, and wouldn't you know it, 16,000 miles later during a trip to Colorado I develop a coolant leak I can't find. So, yesterday after putting some dye leak detector in the radiator, and further inspection I notice the leak coming from the bottom of the timing belt cover by the water pump area:bang: So, I call the shop and inform him of the issue and take it down to him and he agrees that it's probably the water pump he just replaced less than 20,000 miles ago but since it's been over a year, he won't warrantee the job which I'm looking at another $1,000 or more. So, I just drove it back home, see Ya, before I gave him an ear full about if he would have not put cheap ##!!* parts in the thing to begin with, I wouldn't be here and probably ruining a friendship.
Now before you guys beat me up about not doing the work myself, I really don't have the space inside my garage or the want to pull the whole front of my engine apart, but it might be my only option at this point. When I was younger a job like this would've been less a PITA. Every time I pay someone else to do the work, I get bit in the arse. My fault for not buying the parts myself and have him put them in.

Nothing wrong with paying a shop to do the work- time is money. If you have the money but no time, then why not?
I can sympathize, years ago we had a shop do the TB/WP on my r50 pathfinder with the 3.3. The fan clutch portion seared off while driving it. Had another one put on, it leaked. Finally had nissan do the job and i had no problems until i traded it.
Hard and expensive lesson, how long have you all been friends? If he wasn't directed to use OEM Parts, then it's kinda a toss up if he doesnt know these trucks prefer them.
Hope it all comes out well tho

He uses O'Riley Autoparts in town as does a lot of the local shops here. I live in a very small town in Northeastern California.

Any 20 year old vehicle requires a lot of maintenance. Most folks on this site insist on OE parts (or OEM i.e. Aisin, Denso, etc). No sweat if you can't or don't want to do the work yourself.... but If you don't, I might suggest buying 0-5 year old SUV's and selling at the 10 year mark.... and then starting all over.

Where do you live? Surely there’s a good independent Cruiser shop, or at least a Toyota Indy shop, relatively close by.

He uses O'Riley Autoparts in town as does a lot of the local shops here. I live in a very small town in Northeastern California.

The internet can do a magnificent job of supplying quality parts. It's best to have a mechanic that will use the parts that you supply. Plan ahead, do the research. If you're not into that I have to wonder if it's the right vehicle for you.

Like I said, I should've ordered all the parts from Toyota and take it to him. I know better. He uses local parts store out of convenience I guess and keep cost down. If it were me, with less than 20,000 miles on that part, I would make it right. He admits their parts have issues.

The internet can do a magnificent job of supplying quality parts. It's best to have a mechanic that will use the parts that you supply. Plan ahead, do the research. If you're not into that I have to wonder if it's the right vehicle for you.
I guess not.:rimshot:

The lesson here that we see over and over on this forum is buy Toyota OEM parts, period, end of discussion. There are very few exceptions to that rule, especially when it comes to critical engine components. More often than not it ends in heartaches and frustration if you go with cheap parts from the usual suspects.

Good luck in getting things straightened out! 👍

I always live by "If you something done right...." I understand if you don't have the space or the time though. I guess the primary lesson to learn here is to get your own parts and take them to the shop that's doing the work. If they won't use your parts, find another shop. I've ordered most of my parts from rockauto. They have the best prices and reasonable shipping. I know that rockauto has some bargain basement parts but they also carry decent brands as well. That's where I got my Aisin TB and WP kit from.

The lesson here that we see over and over on this forum is buy Toyota OEM parts, period, end of discussion. There are very few exceptions to that rule, especially when it comes to critical engine components. More often than not it ends in heartaches and frustration if you go with cheap parts from the usual suspects.

Good luck in getting things straightened out! 👍
Oh, I'll get it straightened out. It just sucks. Buy the best and only cry once. I should have insisted on factory parts from the get-go. Still cheaper than a new Jeep or Bronco. 213,000-mile rig with $10,000 investment not a bad choice.

it"s a broken record, use oem parts.... plain and simple.
most shops will never quote oem parts or use them unless customers request them.
learn the easy way or the hard way.

Buys the most reliable/durable vehicle in the world. Then replace it with cheap china parts. I never understood that logic. lol.

If you're in Los Angeles area. Check out RPM Garage. They will get it done right the first time. They only use OEM parts / OEM quality, or if you provide OEM parts they can install it.

You also have to wonder, how would these local mechanic shops know the little details? For instance getting new cv axles and having a shop do them that isn’t a Toyota dealer. How would they know the differential oil seal needs to sit flush and not a mm more inside? Or that the hub side snap ring has to be within in a certain mm gap.

It’s not like they read the fsm for each car. Unless this is similar for all cars, maybe so…im a newbie just learning how to do the basics on wrenching

Buys the most reliable/durable vehicle in the world. Then replace it with cheap china parts. I never understood that logic. lol.

If you're in Los Angeles area. Check out RPM Garage. They will get it done right the first time. They only use OEM parts / OEM quality, or if you provide OEM parts they can install it.
JESUS. You're killing me. I've already said I knew I should have insisted on him using OEM. I trusted he would stand behind his work, but he blew me off. My BAD. I wasn't born yesterday and there is no such thing is most reliable/durable thing in the world. Sorry I don't deserve to own such a priceless obscure piece of equipment Captain Obvious.

This.

I put about $7500 into the 4Runner (283k) over the past two years and don’t regret a dime of it. Keep swapping out the bad parts over time and keep it that way. Stay on top of maintenance and keep the rust out!
713DDB72-C99F-437F-A04C-BF6ADE44C52F.png

I purchased my 02 LX 470 a year and a half ago with 198,000 on the odometer. So, I had a local mechanic I know well do a timing belt and water pump replacement. $900.00. That Summer the factory fan pully went out, so I had him replace that as well as a new radiator, fan clutch, belt and tensioner pully while he was in there because I was planning a trip to the Mojave Road in the Fall and wanted the whole cooling system up to snuff. $1,300.00 I also replaced all of the AHC fluid, oil change, diff oil and new spark plugs myself. One month before my trip the newly replaced fan pully went out again and he replaced it under warrantee. I get back from my Mojave Road trip and the fan pully seizes up for a third time. He warrantees it again but this time I told him to order the part from Lexus, no more O Riley's krap, I'll pay for the factory part. I'm P/Od at this point, and I'm concerned that every other Chinese aftermarket BS he put on my truck is going to fail, and wouldn't you know it, 16,000 miles later during a trip to Colorado I develop a coolant leak I can't find. So, yesterday after putting some dye leak detector in the radiator, and further inspection I notice the leak coming from the bottom of the timing belt cover by the water pump area:bang: So, I call the shop and inform him of the issue and take it down to him and he agrees that it's probably the water pump he just replaced less than 20,000 miles ago but since it's been over a year, he won't warrantee the job which I'm looking at another $1,000 or more. So, I just drove it back home, see Ya, before I gave him an ear full about if he would have not put cheap ##!!* parts in the thing to begin with, I wouldn't be here and probably ruining a friendship.
Now before you guys beat me up about not doing the work myself, I really don't have the space inside my garage or the want to pull the whole front of my engine apart, but it might be my only option at this point. When I was younger a job like this would've been less a PITA. Every time I pay someone else to do the work, I get bit in the arse. My fault for not buying the parts myself and have him put them in.
Hey RG,

Sorry you're getting crap from folks about parts and bad decisions. I'm 6 months in to my ownership and it's spent more time in the shop then at my home and cost more than what I bought it for (not really, but it feels that way). I don't regret it, but I also knew what I was getting into. I reread your post but I don't really see a question. That being said, I'm sorry you've had such problems and I hope you find a good solution.

Northeastern California makes me think Redding/Weed. Isn’t Jason (TrailTailor) up there? Not sure if he does these jobs or not, but might be able to point you somewhere to a reliable shop.

I’m only in my 30s, so I just bite the bullet, embrace the suck, and do 90 percent of the work myself. I know it’s done right, and it saves me tons of cash.

You’ll feel better when it’s actually running primo. Sorry bout your luck man.

I guess my whole question was, am I being unreasonable thinking this guy who did the work in the first place should at least share some of the cost of the repair knowing the failure rate of the parts he used? I've sent a lot of business his way with multiple vehicles, and the quality of his work has never been a problem in the past. I have also owned several Toyota trucks in the past including an FJ60 which I did all of the repairs myself and I know that Toyota products chew up aftermarket parts. I enjoy wrenching on classic vehicles, so I know my way around a shop, but the 2UZFE is a little more complex than I'm used to working on, so I figured I would take it to someone who works on modern cars for a living, and I didn't want to risk goofing something up and have to tow it to him anyway half torn apart. I live in Lassen County, so the nearest dedicated Toyota shop is 80 miles away and the guy I used, I know personally, he'll even let me watch him do the job, and I questioned the integrity of the parts he used when he installed them. He assured me that they were top shelf for the supplier he was using. This was just as I said. A Rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom