Don't Skip The $10 Heater T's Replacement (Cooling System Overhaul) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be common knowledge to many of you, but I wanted to share how shocked I was after replacing my heater T's this weekend. The reason I'm so stunned is because I could've been stranded on the side of the road and/or left with severe engine damage if these had broken and subsequently all my coolant had escaped.

I had a 2000 LX470 (180k when I bought it, sold at 215k) that I drove across the country two different times, once in the middle of summer in 115 degree Texas heat (in a convoy of 3 trucks for safety, but still!). I had no idea about the heater Ts at the time, but if we broken down in middle of nowhere Texas in that heat, it could've been very bad news. That particular LX was insanely rusty and abused its whole life, so I'm 100% certain the Ts were barely hanging on.

This past weekend, I replaced the Ts while doing a full timing job and cooling system overhaul on my current 2002 LC with 200k miles and the Ts were so brittle, I was able to snap them off inside the hose with barely any force.

What I'm referring to Toyota part #87248-60460 and they're $10 for a pair on partsouq.com or $20 for the pair at my local dealer. Takes about an hour to replace both, properly clean out the hoses, and only requires basic plyers to deal with the tension hose clamps.

My back and shoulders are sore from leaning that far into the truck, but I will sleep so easy now knowing that this is done. My point with this thread is to encourage you to do these too. Absolutely no reason not to and I'd bet unless you've done them already, they're on the verge of breaking and potentially causing you big problems.

Also as a little bonus, I mentioned I was doing a full cooling system overhaul and decided there was no better way to go than OEM radiator. I managed to get it (part # 16400-50360) shipped to me from Springhill Toyota out of Mobile, AL for $393. Most other places were a lot more than that once I factored in shipping and/or taxes. Gonna sleep like a baby now knowing that the cooling system is totally dialed in with the radiator, Ts, OEM thermostat, and new water pump.

Hope this helps current you or future you!

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Nice job! Question - I have tees I need to do as well. This weekend was valve cover weekends, and I was too sore to dive in and finish up with the heater tees. Do you lose any/much fluid doing this? Can you just top off a little bit that leaks out, or do you have to do a full drain/flush/fill?

Good reminder. I found my original 2000 crumbling tee's by accident last Fall when doing another timing belt job, 241k miles. Same experience as yours, one of the tee's crumbled completely. I replaced them with metal tee's. The new tee's were slightly smaller and I had trouble getting the hoses to seal completely with the stock Toyota spring clamps. (Edit: I should have used new hoses as well). I had to replace the original clamps with full-circle fuel line worm screw clamps from a local speed and custom shop.

Metal heater hose Tee's

Nice job! Question - I have tees I need to do as well. This weekend was valve cover weekends, and I was too sore to dive in and finish up with the heater tees. Do you lose any/much fluid doing this? Can you just top off a little bit that leaks out, or do you have to do a full drain/flush/fill?
They're the high point in the system so you don't loose much. A cup or two?

I actually don't know that you'd lose that much if you're careful, but I took mine off the fitting that goes through the firewall to fully clean out the hoses of all the cracked plastic. I had my radiator out already so perhaps there wasn't much left in there, but it didn't spill hardly anything when I took mine off.

Valve covers for me next weekend as well! Probably gonna be sore again like you lol

Park the car facing downhill and you’ll lose maybe 4 oz. I used a aluminum loaf pan to catch the fluid.

I actually don't know that you'd lose that much if you're careful, but I took mine off the fitting that goes through the firewall to fully clean out the hoses of all the cracked plastic. I had my radiator out already so perhaps there wasn't much left in there, but it didn't spill hardly anything when I took mine off.

Valve covers for me next weekend as well! Probably gonna be sore again like you lol
Best of luck! I wound up splitting the driver's and passengers into a day each. I started with the Drivers side because that one is more of a pain in the ass.j

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably take a day off so that I have an auto parts store open the whole time. Wound up having to wait to go the next day to get a PCV hose that was cracked to all hell. Have fun!

Good reminder. I found my original 2000 crumbling tee's by accident last Fall when doing another timing belt job, 241k miles. Same experience as yours, one of the tee's crumbled completely. I replaced them with metal tee's. The new tee's were slightly smaller and I had trouble getting the hoses to seal completely with the stock Toyota spring clamps. (Edit: I should have used new hoses as well). I had to replace the original clamps with full-circle fuel line worm screw clamps from a local speed and custom shop.

Metal heater hose Tee's
I'd rather use the OEM constant-tension type of clamp, and if that means replacing two plastic tees with every timing belt then I'm OK with that. :)

Nice post, yeah definitely common knowledge to change the T's by now but doesn't hurt to add some more info to the forums. How bad are your valve covers? The common feedback there is, clean it all up and try to snug up the bolts a bit first to see if that helps, but you may have done this already.

My feedback for the T's

• No, you don't loose too much fluid. Put some towels and s*** down anyway to keep that coolant from dripping down and pooling up anywhere
  • If you have the $$, buy new hoses too. I had to cut and destroy a few of mine, those ****ers were on there good.
  • Just stick with OEM tees and clamps. Don't use worm clamps and IDK metals t's are overrated.
  • Park next to a curb or something so you can be higher up and get a better angle at all of this stuff. It's a back breaker.
  • My T's were so brittle I got rear ended at a stop light and it caused my T's to crack. I did also get hit really really hard lol
  • I forgot which side, but one is typically way worse than the other.

Where do you get the OEM clamps and hoses? I'd like to go in and replace them all after finding so many that were worn out (hoses and clamps alike) while doing my valve covers, but wasn't sure where to get them. Toyota? Is there a master list of all the hoses somewhere on mud? We should make one, bc the PNs are a pain in the ass to track down if you don't know the right name.

Nice post, yeah definitely common knowledge to change the T's by now but doesn't hurt to add some more info to the forums. How bad are your valve covers? The common feedback there is, clean it all up and try to snug up the bolts a bit first to see if that helps, but you may have done this already.

My feedback for the T's

• No, you don't loose too much fluid. Put some towels and s*** down anyway to keep that coolant from dripping down and pooling up anywhere
  • If you have the $$, buy new hoses too. I had to cut and destroy a few of mine, those ****ers were on there good.
  • Just stick with OEM tees and clamps. Don't use worm clamps and IDK metals t's are overrated.
  • Park next to a curb or something so you can be higher up and get a better angle at all of this stuff. It's a back breaker.
  • My T's were so brittle I got rear ended at a stop light and it caused my T's to crack. I did also get hit really really hard lol
  • I forgot which side, but one is typically way worse than the other.
Regarding pulling them… spray as much of the inside face of the hoses with soapy water to act like penetrating fluid. Try to use your finger to pry the hose a bit and squirt in. Helped me out at least.

Where do you get the OEM clamps and hoses? I'd like to go in and replace them all after finding so many that were worn out (hoses and clamps alike) while doing my valve covers, but wasn't sure where to get them. Toyota? Is there a master list of all the hoses somewhere on mud? We should make one, bc the PNs are a pain in the ass to track down if you don't know the right name.
Get used to Partsouq.com , it will be your best friend. The master list of hoses may exist out there but there are variations on some parts so it's not worth chasing down.

Here is from my order. Remember, some of the hoses have a larger diameter hose clamp and T outlet, you may have noticed this when doing your T. I think it's the hoses pointing down but don't quote me on it. I ordered 8 of each clamps at the time because I didn't know what I was getting in to.

Toyota parts department is always a solid option to but in this case they told me all 8 hoses use the same clamp because that's what the parts diagram shows .. Would it work? Probably...I actually can't remember where i found reference to the larger size down below . Somewhere on these forums I think . Will post more details when I'm back on computer

Diagram is hiding in the electrical category under
  • HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - COOLER UNIT

1710807899840.png

1710808304305.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom