Shop and cooling system rant. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking it up on Rock Auto. They had an Aisan kit that, I was told they take forever for shiping. They also had one from Dayco which was more expensive??? Lexus in Reno wants over $200 just for the water pump. I'll look at worldpac.com. Thanks. As far as the leak goes, I've looked all over/under the intake with dye and a blacklight and it seems dry, as do the heater T's which are new but O'Rielly's too. Upper and bottom rad hoses appear dry as well. I pulled off both skid plates and looked from underneath, which is where I found the leak, from around the side of the crank pully on the driver's side near the fan bracket. It appears to be pretty significant, but you can't see it looking from the top of the engine bay, and because the coolant was pooling inside the front skid plate, it wasn't leaving any evidence on the ground either.

A. side note. Someone told me that the early 100's used "Green" coolant, not the pink stuff and I probably ate up the gasket sealer using Asian red coolant???
check the small hose that connects near the oil filter for your leak source.

A. side note. Someone told me that the early 100's used "Green" coolant, not the pink stuff and I probably ate up the gasket sealer using Asian red coolant???
98-03 use Toyota LL (red) is 100% and needs mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Flushed lessor of 2yr or 30K miles.
04-07 uses Toyota SLL (pink) which is premixed 50/50. Lessor of 5yr or 50K miles (after first 10yr or 100K)
The only issue that scares me a little is making sure the cams and crank timing don't get out of sync when putting the belt back on. A couple of videos I've watched mention the FSM recommends advancing or retarding the timing 50 deg before installation. I thought that if everything was lined up to TDC on #1 before removing the T belt, it would go back on in the same location? A little confusingo_O
Pulling belt with the FSM (factory service manual), is not a good idea.

We've 2 different procedures depending on VVT (06-07) or non VVT (98-05). The 50 deg BTDC is just because cam spring pressure tends to move the cam off TDC, and concern with interference. The non VVT it's not going to interfere, by all accounts.

FSM has detail on hard timing. That is when rebuild engine, where nothing is yet timed. Basically in 89-05, just line up hard marks. Install belt and turn 720 degrees, to see that marks are dead on.
Checking timing marks.jpg

Use the straight line above cam, NOT the T.
Checking timing marks c.jpg

Yellow arrow points to hard mark on oil pump cover, lined to crank sprocket cut out dimple red arrow points to, for TDC.
Timing Belt 06LC 194K 050.JPG

Last edited:
98-03 use Toyota LL (red) is 100% and needs mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Flushed lessor of 2yr or 30K miles.
04-07 uses Toyota SLL (pink) which is premixed 50/50. Lessor of 5yr or 50K miles (after first 10yr or 100K)

Pulling belt with the FSM (factory service manual), is not a good idea.

We've 2 different procedures depending on VVT (06-07) or non VVT (98-05). The 50 deg BTDC is just because cam spring pressure tends to move the cam off TDC, and concern with interference. The non VVT it's not going to interfere, by all accounts.

FSM has detail on hard timing. That is when rebuild engine, where nothing is yet timed. Basically in 89-05, just line up hard marks. Install belt and turn 720 degrees, to see that marks are dead on.
View attachment 2931442
Use the straight line above cam, NOT the T.
View attachment 2931443

Yellow arrow points to hard mark on oil pump cover, lined to crank sprocket cut out dimple red arrow points to, for TDC.
View attachment 2931441
Thanks, 01LC. I'm glad I have plenty of recourses here in case I run into any trouble.

Turned out to be the bypass o ring on the back of the water pump, so it was poor installation from the beginning. I now have installed a new Aisen kit.

Turned out to be the bypass o ring on the back of the water pump, so it was poor installation from the beginning. I now have installed a new Aisen kit.
if you dont lube your o-ring its not gonna turn out good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom