Hi beam Indicator light (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a real long shot, but figured I would ask...

I drive a 1990 HDJ81 1HDT which I installed an LED lightbar on last spring. I wired it so that it would only be on if the lightbar switch was on and my hi beams were on. Everything worked fine, but this November after having a headlight bulb burn out I installed LED headlamps (Sylvania 9004/H4). Ever since I switched to the LED bulbs my lightbar does not work, and also my hi beam indicator in my instrument cluster doesn't work. Not sure if this is just a wild coincidence or if there is some electrical explanation for it(?)

While I am not the best with electrical troubleshooting, everythin I have checked seems to be fine (entire wiring harness, relay, grounds are solid). If I connect 12v directly to the lightbar, it works fine.

Thank you in advance!

Have you tested it without the LEDs with halogens?

Could be related to the lack of circuit resistance from the LEDs but just a shot in the dark atm.

Last edited:
Have to tested it without the LEDs with halogens?

Could be related to the lack of circuit resistance from the LEDs but just a shot in the dark atm.
I have not, but I was thinking the same thing (possibly something to do with the LED bulbs).

Unfortunately I had to surrender my old bulbs since I was replacing them on a warranty situation.

The LED globes do not provide enough resistance for the high beam indicator to be activated. You need to run a load resistor on one or both LED's in order to get the high beam indicator and light bar working as per normal again

1706502774152.png

Just be aware that these resistors get very hot and if you want to go that way make a bracket that holds the resistor away from wiring, plastic parts etc

The LED globes do not provide enough resistance for the high beam indicator to be activated. You need to run a load resistor on one or both LED's in order to get the high beam indicator and light bar working as per normal again

View attachment 3544820

Just be aware that these resistors get very hot and if you want to go that way make a bracket that holds the resistor away from wiring, plastic parts etc

This man is correct. I lost my indicator when I went to led bulbs.

View attachment 3544820

Is an LED light in the high beam indicator spot an option?
Seems a bad idea to add a resistor that's gonna melt shìt?

Is an LED light in the high beam indicator spot an option?
Seems a bad idea to add a resistor that's gonna melt shìt?

It's not going to help. The high beam circuit is actually triggered by a lack of low beams.
I don't think the led bulbs are trigging the circuit.

Screenshot_20240129_030417_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I have used several different brands of LED bulbs in several different 80s and I have had zero problems with indicator lights or anything else.

Mark...

I have used several different brands of LED bulbs in several different 80s and I have had zero problems with indicator lights or anything else.

Mark...

Are they an HDJ81?

The usdm has a separate bulb. The HDJ81 does not

Are they an HDJ81?

The usdm has a separate bulb. The HDJ81 does not
I missed that in your original post. these were all US variants.

Mark...

You can change how your light bar is wired. Instead of being triggered by the high beams indicator have it triggered off the headlight relay.
Or just run it off the switch.

You can change how your light bar is wired. Instead of being triggered by the high beams indicator have it triggered off the headlight relay.
Or just run it off the switch.
Understood.

I just liked the idea that the bar would only work when I had high beams on…that way if/when I turned high beams off, the bar would also automatically turn off.

Would it work that way through the relay?

Thanks!

I would wire it like this.
Signal from the stalk to the relay. Use your switch as an interrupt.

View attachment 3544903
This. You should be able to tap in to the high beam switched wire at or near the light.
Toyota switches the ground wire not the hot wire.

You can still set them up so b light bar will only work with high beam AND light bar switch on. This is a legal requirement in Aus, its done all the time

This. You should be able to tap in to the high beam switched wire at or near the light.
Toyota switches the ground wire not the hot wire.

You can still set them up so b light bar will only work with high beam AND light bar switch on. This is a legal requirement in Aus, its done all the time
Yes. This is how I wired it.

Everything worked fine until I replaced my light bulbs with LED bulbs...ever since then, my lightbar does not work. Nor does my high beam indicator light on my dash.

I would wire it like this.
Signal from the stalk to the relay. Use your switch as an interrupt.

View attachment 3544903
this is exactly how I wired up my driving lights back in the day when I put IPF800's on. There's 3 tiny wires off the stalk and I tapped into one of them as the trigger for the driving lights. Without the resistor the high beam indicator doesnt work nor do the driving lights. Std high beam does though

Mudgudgeon, this is what I referred to about the resistors getting hot and a separate mount for them.
Its what I had when I was trying LED globes in the standard Aussie issue headlight

1706564437545.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom