Sherpa Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever heard of Sherpa winches? They seem to advertise in Canada. I have not heard of them before.

Australian brand. There is a 7 winch comparison done with a trailer sled from an Australian publication. Informative and somewhat scientific. The results are pretty surprising re: name brands vs off brands. One thing that isn't obvious until you see the data is that the gearing on the winch really plays a big part in reliability vs recovery speed. Easy to overheat a fast winch . . .

and the table summary:

Is it realistic, or am I missing something. This compressor has impressive numbers, but 85-91 Amps
While under use? That’s something to really plan your electrics around, not some puny ARB compressor

Is it realistic, or am I missing something. This compressor has impressive numbers, but 85-91 Amps
While under use? That’s something to really plan your electrics around, not some puny ARB compressor

You'd have to use an appropriate gauge for the power leads. Winches use more power than that, some by a large margin.

The ARB compressors were (originally) only designed to make enough air for their air lockers.

You'd have to use an appropriate gauge for the power leads. Winches use more power than that, some by a large margin.

The ARB compressors were (originally) only designed to make enough air for their air lockers.
You are right. Just have to make sure to charge up after using this compressor, just like
I do when I winch. These are pretty impressive numbers for an OBA compressor, I like it!

At that price point, an ARB dual compressor is a proven unit.

Bringing this back up, looking for a winch for an F-350 ( yeah I know) I can find the war. 16.5ti-s for $2,250 ot a sherpa 17k for $1,000. Normally is go with a warn but the Sherpa does look good.

I have the 12k on order for my hundo. Will update with some pics of the unit and install when I get it in, hopefully by the end of the month per their emails.

I have the 12k on order for my hundo. Will update with some pics of the unit and install when I get it in, hopefully by the end of the month per their emails.

did you ever receive and get to use your Sherpa winch? Any feedback?

did you ever receive and get to use your Sherpa winch? Any feedback?

Ah thanks for reminding me! Yes, I did receive and got it installed a few months ago. Overall impressions are pretty good, build quality is great (but utilitarian) and I was surprised how lightweight the unit was. And zero issues with fitment in the ARB.

Though well put together, the control box is a bit chunky and I'm not thrilled with how I mounted it to my arb. I'll probably end up making an aluminum plate to adapt to the control box bracket the arb bumper came with. Also the yellow lettering on top of the control box is starting to fade already, but thats a whatever thing. I'll probably just paint over it in black.

I actually haven't had a chance to do a pull with it yet as we're just getting into our wheeling season in CO but hope to test it out soon. And happy to take some more photos of anything if you want.

b6889e70-75d6-451b-a12b-39a1b04a3917-jpeg.2605693

58f57263-7700-4796-82a7-61b18830cddd-jpeg.2605696

I’m VERY interested to hear how this goes. I’m looking at getting winches on both my cruiser and my 1st gen dodge and for our company(remote work in northern Canada) and would love to standardize across everything.
I’m leaning heavily towards Sherpa. Everything I’ve heard has them being just excellent but I would love to know more so please keep me posted.

I recently installed one on my Hilux, haven’t had to use it in anger yet but it seems solid. I liked the low amp draw and low gearing. The Hilux has a relatively small battery so I’d rather a slow steady recovery that doesn’t destroy it.
2C8F73F0-F12E-49F7-82CF-EF6BC5E5F49D.jpeg
6F7A82BE-18DA-4782-86B3-2E72A2488564.jpeg

finally getting around to a front bumper and looking for more beta on the Sherpa brand. How has the experience gone @serenity @pili ?

I'm down to three options in the 12000 lb weight class:
Sherpa Colt is $1100 US and 23kg - 5 yr warranty.
Ironman Monster is $719 US and 29kg, 5 year warranty,
Zeax Generic is $350 and 25kg, 1 yr warranty (expect no service or spares available)

Sherpa has a good list of spare parts you can order if necessary, and is pretty far in the lead for me based on these criteria order
1 Weight
2 Warranty
3 Cost

I've looked at a bunch (Warrior/Runva, Warn, Apex Badlands, Ramsey, Smittybilt, Mile Marker, Come-up, hydraulic options) etc, and I keep coming back to the Sherpa 4x4 because it is easily the lightest, and I think that matters a lot on an IFS truck.

Seems a bit silly to buy a Chinese winch from Australia when you're in North America no?

All mass produced winches are built as cheaply as possible from Chinese parts. Some of them are assembled outside of China so they can say that, but not sure how that adds any value at all.

BTW, All the winch manufacturers currently and formerly in Oregon don't just test their winches under water. They put them in a sealed water tank, pressurize it and run the winch while increasing the pressure until it fails. They do that to their own winches and to everyone elses winches so they have a baseline for how theirs's stacks up. It's a legitimate test of the seals in the winch. Letting a winch sit in saltwater at atmospheric pressure isn't much of a test.

Seems a bit silly to buy a Chinese winch from Australia when you're in North America no?

All mass produced winches are built as cheaply as possible from Chinese parts. Some of them are assembled outside of China so they can say that, but not sure how that adds any value at all.

BTW, All the winch manufacturers currently and formerly in Oregon don't just test their winches under water. They put them in a sealed water tank, pressurize it and run the winch while increasing the pressure until it fails. They do that to their own winches and to everyone elses winches so they have a baseline for how theirs's stacks up. It's a legitimate test of the seals in the winch. Letting a winch sit in saltwater at atmospheric pressure isn't much of a test.
IMHO I’d disagree with that. I’ve worked on and around saltwater workboats, as a marine mechanic, for years. Anything that can survive and operate after being submerged for any length of time is impressive to me.

I agree that a pressurized test would be a better test of the seals but that isn’t solely what is being tested here. The salt water submersion test is testing the metallurgical quality of the components and the quality of the finish as well as the seals.

Also I’m very interested where you will be running your winch at more than atmospheric pressure…

IMHO I’d disagree with that. I’ve worked on and around saltwater workboats, as a marine mechanic, for years. Anything that can survive and operate after being submerged for any length of time is impressive to me.

I agree that a pressurized test would be a better test of the seals but that isn’t solely what is being tested here. The salt water submersion test is testing the metallurgical quality of the components and the quality of the finish as well as the seals.

Also I’m very interested where you will be running your winch at more than atmospheric pressure…

They're die cast aluminum. Same stuff every other mass produced winch is made from. And they're painted. With paint, you know, that stuff made from polymers that doesn't rust. I spent 4 years at sea on a 450 ft ship with the top 3 decks made entirely of aluminum. When there was paint on it the aluminum did not corrode.

The pressure test is designed to quantify the quality/integrity of the seals. People generally don't use their winches underwater. Testing the seals under pressure is the ONLY way you could test them. If you don't increase the pressure how else would you grade the performance? "Can sit in a fishtank for 8 months" sure doesn't sound like an effective test to me. Put it in a pressure tank at 5 PSI and run it. 10 PSI then 15 etc. I don't think any of them made it that far, but you have to add the pressure element otherwise they all appear equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom