Sherpa Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They're die cast aluminum. Same stuff every other mass produced winch is made from. And they're painted. With paint, you know, that stuff made from polymers that doesn't rust. I spent 4 years at sea on a 450 ft ship with the top 3 decks made entirely of aluminum. When there was paint on it the aluminum did not corrode.

The pressure test is designed to quantify the quality/integrity of the seals. People generally don't use their winches underwater. Testing the seals under pressure is the ONLY way you could test them. If you don't increase the pressure how else would you grade the performance? "Can sit in a fishtank for 8 months" sure doesn't sound like an effective test to me. Put it in a pressure tank at 5 PSI and run it. 10 PSI then 15 etc. I don't think any of them made it that far, but you have to add the pressure element otherwise they all appear equal.

I understand the principal of pressure testing seals. However I don’t feel that it is a valid test in this situation. It isn’t testing something that is a measureable metric here

With the salt bath test they are testing, and proving, that their winches are designed with high quality components that are made to last in an abusive environment.

I did some digging and found the following about Sherpa winches.
“The winch is designed to survive in all conditions, with 316 stainless steel componentry and machined aluminum mounts”

Braking Design - Beware of cheap imitations! Many winches on the market use the old cable winch ‘Brake in drum’ design which causes heat to build up in the winch damaging synthetic rope. ‘Brake in Drum’ winches were never intended for use with synthetic ropes and this will become obvious at the most inconvenient time. Sherpa winches are compatible with all types of synthetic rope as the brake is designed into the gearbox. This innovative design results in a trouble and heat free winch and braking combination.
  • Quality gearboxes - Other brands use sintered steel to make their gears. In this process heat and pressure is used to cast shapes from powdered steel. Sintered gears are unpredictable and not as strong as gears that are CNC cut from quality billet steel. Sherpa demand the highest quality components for every step of the winch build meaning they deliver stronger winches that last. New higher load brass bushes are incorporated into the Stallion's gearbox to handle the increased loads.
  • Electrics - Sherpa 4x4 winches come standard with fully sealed, water tight, heavy duty, genuine Albright solenoids. A common failure for winches is the solenoid so why use anything but the best? Sherpa only offer Albright solenoids across our complete range of winches because they work. Don't waste your time with imitations, demand the best and enjoy the performance. Sherpa winches are IP68 rated

Those aren't real specifications for anything. That's just marketing BS.

PM VS other methods of gear shaping is an irrelevant comparison. It's the entire process. You can have a junk PM gear and a junk machined one. You can have top shelf PM gears. To make a global claim like that is nonsense. It's not like they're using 8620 ground helicals in there. They're sloppy spur gears designed to run 20 minutes a year for 5 years.

Brass is not a bearing material. Bronze is. Good winches use composite polymer bearings, not bronze.

Finally got to use mine for the first time. Cleared 4 trees from a track, using the 2nd layer with a single line pull. I stalled the winch a few times as the trees were hanging up on the vines and undergrowth. I checked the motor and gearbox and both were warm but not hot.

2DA8D1C7-2966-4236-80C8-F13FFE5B7F8C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom