Shaky mirror fix 2 minutes 2 zip ties (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image-2290874194.jpg

Your standard broken hook

image-377476019.jpg

Attached two zip ties together. Run through here.

image-2187604310.jpg

Then run the zip ties through here and attach to make a loop.

image-4237441191.jpg

Don't tighten your zip ties yet. Tighten this bolt first.

image-3789594812.jpg

Now tighten the zip ties and tuck the excess behind the mirror.

This is the same fix I use for my driver side and it has held solid for six or seven years.
image-2290874194.jpg
image-377476019.jpg
image-2187604310.jpg
image-4237441191.jpg
image-3789594812.jpg

I like! My JB weld job broke, and have been scratching my head for an alt.

Thanks!

Good thinking. I used JB Weld over a twisted section of 24 ga wire to act as rebar. Time will tell if she holds. If not will be using this trick!

I can see AGAIN!! :cheers:

:lol:

THanks!

And if fails on the trail again I have more zipties!:hillbilly:

awesome idea! .. will do as soon as I get home. Thanks!

Going to try this after work since my drivers mirror is no longer tolerable with how much it shakes. Wasn't that bad when I got my 80 in Sept but now its almost unusable on the freeway.

I had the same problem a few months ago, ended up drilling a hole through the plastic and metal and putting the zip tie there. I tried putting zip ties all around like the OP, but I couldn't get them cinched down.

I put a thin piece of foam between the plastic and metal and it doesn't vibrate at all. Should take some stress off of the motor too.

Yes you can, for the most part. But I did notice on my passenger side I cant move the mirror down.

Maybe it would be smart for those who don't have loose mirrors to go in and reinforce the plastic part before it fails? I don't have this problem yet, and would prefer not to have it.

I couldn't get the ziptie trick to work so I used some nice Wurth plastic epoxy we had at the shop I work at and just glued it to the base.

Maybe it would be smart for those who don't have loose mirrors to go in and reinforce the plastic part before it fails? I don't have this problem yet, and would prefer not to have it.
I did this after mine broke. I got a salvage yard one and JB welded a thin piece of metal to each hole. I drilled out the metal to accept the hook it is held on by. I also reinforced the bottom screw hole by globbing on JB weld all around the plastic to keep it from cracking. I should have taken a pic....it is on and I don't think it is going anywhere.My old one just fell off while driving down a dirt road. Parts just keep falling off my junk...

Tried super glue with my passenger side mirror. One hook was broken. I made a mistake and did not clean the paint off the mount. Lasted about two weeks and several off road trips before the vibrations began again.

The second effort removed all the paint off the mount and then mixed a two-part epoxy and glued the sucker in. Several off road trips and no more shaking. And the adjuster still works!

Zip tie trick looks interesting in the event of future shakage.

Great thread, thanks. I have been looking for a solution.

How do you take the mirror apart? There does not appear to be any visible way to drop it out as the picture shows. Thanks Dan

Great thread, thanks. I have been looking for a solution.

How do you take the mirror apart? There does not appear to be any visible way to drop it out as the picture shows. Thanks Dan

Remove the screw through the access hole on the bottom of the housing. Gently push up and pull out from the bottom. The mirror hangs on two little hooks at top.

Nice! I'll have to give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom