Shaking at 60mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I posted in GXOR on FB, but wanted to see if there were any opinions here as well. Just replaced the front rotors as I thought that was the issue.

When I get up to about 60mph the vehicle shakes...seems almost side to side. The front DS cv axle is leaking bad so I have new axles coming.

Some said it could be calipers but it didn’t veer when I press the brakes not does it make any noises. It only shakes when I get to 60+ and then stops around 55 or so. Drives straight and when braking it does not veer at all.

I am thinking the CV axle? Other said calipers.

Did you throw off any wheel weights? Break a belt in one of your tires?

No. Just balanced and rotated yesterday.

either wheel balance or alignment. or both. if you go past 60, to say 75, does it go away or get worse or stay the same?

When you say your CV is bad, is it clicking or making any noise?

I doubt it has anything to do with your brakes

Interesting enough when I got up to 70-75 it seemed better.

It was just balanced yesterday so hopefully that is not it. I can check on the alignment. Probably a good thing since it has new rotors anyway.

CV is not clicking or making noise....just has grease blown everywhere.

i would check control arm bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends (inner and outer) for play

One of the wheels on our pickup isn't perfectly circular and it creates the craziest vibration when it's in the rear at exactly 55mph. Not at 53, not at 57. Just 55

If it goes away, it is balance, alignment, or the tires. Did it do it before the rotation and balance? Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in your seat? Steering wheel=front ties, seat=rear tires

I had a set of Hankook tires on my BMW that would "square" after sitting over night. after a few miles they would go back to round once they heated up a little.

I have Firestones on my GTi now that were perfect up to 100+ when installed. Then, I took them for routine rotation and balance and they have a slight shimmy at 80 now :(

My suggestion is to take it back and have them rebalance and ask them to check the wheels for roundness when they are balancing them.

Agree with others. Start simple and do whatever it takes to make sure the tires are balanced properly. Can’t remember the number of times I’ve left the shop from a rotate/balance and have turned around and gone back to make them do it again.

Thanks for the info everyone. Starting simple seems to make the most sense. I will assume they would be able to tell if there is an actual issue with the tires? Bought them at Sam’s Club and they have balanced them twice (including the first time for install) and I have always felt the tires ran a little tougher than the prior tires....which is funny bc the prior tires were cheapos. I bought BF Goodrich Sports hoping they would be a good tire.

BFG has been making ovals lately. Quality control is poop. I switched to Nitto and Falken.

I will see what happens once I get the CVs changed out and get it aligned. If it still doesn’t take care of it and everything checks out then I will have to figure out something with Sam’s. The tires have only about 7,000 miles on them.

FWIW, I got my KO2s last spring and have not had any balancing problems.

I have KO2s on my 100 and they have been great. The GX is having some issues with something though...lol

Just an FYI. I had a new set of KO2's installed in December. Never could get the shake, shimmy feeling out of the GX. I went back 8 times for balancing and even road force balancing. We ended up changing out the tires to a different brand. It is so smooth and nice now.

Do you have hub-centric or lug-centric wheels? We get some bad vibration at highway speed if our lug-centric wheel nuts aren't torqued in the right pattern.

Do you have hub-centric or lug-centric wheels? We get some bad vibration at highway speed if our lug-centric wheel nuts aren't torqued in the right pattern.

They are the factory wheels

I didn’t see the answer to the steering wheel shake. Did you feel change after rotation?

Last edited:
No. Actually I thought it was a little worse, but not 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom