Terra Cruisers FJ-43 Review and Lessons Learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More good fixes. I would still not fill that 22 gal tank to 'full', but it looks like you fixed the immediate leak problem.

Would you use Terra Cruisers again?

Clean truck, well done, looks good. Hammering out all those little issues is the dance.

Issue 18: Driver side ambulance door latch assembly was sticking and I could not close the door without holding the handle open. The latch control assembly eventually totally failed.

After taking it apart, I saw the reason the doors would not close was the latch bolts were connected directly to the handles with the rods and could not move without the handle moving. After researching online, I learned there should have been a slot where the rods connected to the latch bolts instead of just a hole. This allows the latch bolts to move independently from the door handle when the door is closed.

IMG_5637.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

136C.gif

Solution 18: I purchased a used controller from Cruiser Parts (new ones no longer available) and replaced and/or rebuild the latches, springs, and rods with hardware from Ace. I made sure to fabricate the rod connections so that it allowed the latch bolts to move independently from the handle. I greased the assembly and reinstalled it and the door now works like new.

1592324686269.png
1592324152697.png

Last edited:
Hope the price point was acceptable for you to deal with these on your own.

It’s truly remarkable how bad the finish work is on these South American trucks as a whole. You have a great attitude. That’s the best attitude.

I wish these were the types of issues I would have to resolve!

Looks like you got a beautiful truck man! Pretty well outfitted with a 5-speed front and rear lockers, and power steering!

And AC is always nice!

A little something here and there to tinker around with and improve on your free time never hurt anyone :)

Mike

It’s truly remarkable how bad the finish work is on these South American trucks as a whole. You have a great attitude. That’s the best attitude.
I wish these were the types of issues I would have to resolve!

Looks like you got a beautiful truck man! Pretty well outfitted with a 5-speed front and rear lockers, and power steering!

And AC is always nice!

A little something here and there to tinker around with and improve on your free time never hurt anyone :)

Mike
Main thing for me is the truck is so far mechanically very solid and has great bones. It looks and runs great and does not even have a rattle yet.

Last edited:
Main thing for me is the truck is mechanically very solid and has great bones. It looks and runs great and does not even have a rattle yet. At the end of the day, I would do it again if I had to. I realize these guys build trucks as a business and would never be able to cover absolutely every detail at their price point and schedule and stay in business.

Exactly!

Its a huge undertaking getting one for these old rigs cleaned up to the level yours has been.

By fixing these little issues you are forming a bond with your new baby haha

Besides you have a model not even available here in the US. Any other rig imported would surely be riddled with its own problems.

Mike

BTW: I have been finding all the parts needed through either www.cruiserparts.net and/or www.PartSouq.com.

On PartSouq, I usually can find the parts looking under Toyota/Landcruiser and then selecting any of the models with the BJ4# description for the body and chassis parts or FJ7# for parts on my drivetrain. What's really nice about their site is it includes all the sub-assembly drawings with all the part numbers and usually pictures of the part. Even if I am not buying a part from them, I like to use their site because it is a great reference tool.

Exactly!

Its a huge undertaking getting one for these old rigs cleaned up to the level yours has been.

By fixing these little issues you are forming a bond with your new baby haha

Besides you have a model not even available here in the US. Any other rig imported would surely be riddled with its own problems.

Mike
It is also important for me to say that I was able to get Terra Cruisers to covered some of the cost of the parts and repairs so far.

Last edited:
More good fixes. I would still not fill that 22 gal tank to 'full', but it looks like you fixed the immediate leak problem.
FYI update: After taking tank measurements, the tank is actually 24 gallons total volume and 22 gallons at the level of the sender unit flange.

Issue 19: The HF1A transfer case shifter was taking a lot of force to change the shifter positions. I also realized that the shifter position was not aligned correctly so when the shifter was located in the 4WD-H position, the transfer case was in 2WD-H. Once I pulled the interior boot cover off and got familiar with the HF1A setup, I recognized there were a few other things wrong so I removed and disassembled the shifter assembly to check everything out.
Problems I found included:

-The cutout in the transmission hump did not have enough clearance to shift into the 2H position.
-The exterior rubber boot cover (36331A Type B) that protected the shifter box was missing.
-One of the bolts that held the shifter to mounting bracket was broken.
-The linkage rod ends (33750g) were missing the protective boots.
-The shifter cap (33554B) was worn out
-The shifter housing was full of dirt.
-The shifter arm compression spring (36321s) was totally corroded and had no spring strength left.

1593524145319.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.42.30 AM.png

1593524439475.jpeg
1593524896895.jpeg

Last edited:
Solution 19: This one took some work on my part. I first ordered a new spring, linkage assembly, exterior boot, top cap, and bolts. I found out because the HF1A was never sold in US, I had to order the parts from www.PartSouq.com who are located in UAE. Even with the COVID issues, I was able to get the parts within five days.

I cleaned up all the remaining parts using my Dremel with a small wire wheel and repainted the housing. Once all the needed parts came in, I reassembled everything using plenty of grease. The shifter moved a lot easier than before.

1593695413025.png

The next step, I had to enlarge the transmission hump opening and boot ring by an 1in to get the clearance needed to shift into 2WD-H. I enlarged the boot ring by cutting it with my band saw and lengthening it using some 16 gauge sheet metal, my MIG welder, and grinder. Luckily, there was enough slack in the boot material to cover the extra inch. I then cut the transmission hump using my Dremel tool with metal cutting and grinding wheels and repainted the exposed metal.

61041690922__B420B1E1-7843-4930-8420-F052D85FDA0A.jpeg
IMG_5820.jpeg
IMG_5818.jpeg

I reinstalled the shifter making sure to adjust the linkage to correctly align the shifter with the transfer case position. The last step I reinstalled the interior boot.

The shifter now works great and I can shift smoothly between the 2WD-H, 4WD-H, N, and 4WD-L positions with very little effort.

Last edited:
Issue 20: Passenger side tail lights and side marker quit working.

Solution 20: All were tied to a common grounding bolt behind the rear speaker which worked loose. Simple fix.

Issue 21: Truck would crank but ignition would not turn anything on.

Solution 21: Problem seemed to be caused by a defective fuse. I replaced the fuse and never had any problems with it since.

1593535298678.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom