Sequoia or LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the differences between the Sequoia and LC?

Is it just size or do they have different drivetrains?

Why is the LC more money?

Nicholas

the LC is better. ;p

They are different, no matter what a dealer says, the Sequoia is NOT a rebadged LC. They have the same engine, but they are different platforms.

the 100 is made in Japan by Araco(but not the 05's) the fit and finish is much better then the Sq, quailty of the parts is also IMOP better in the LC.

If I could only count how many times my parents' friends comment on how much of a good deal they got by getting the Sequoia instead of the LC :rolleyes: and that it's the same truck and I spent way too much and should have just gotten the Sequoia... I bite my tongue.

I think the Sequoia is a fine vehicle and wouldn't hesitate buying one for the purposes it was intended. IMHO.

I'd say drive both and go from there.

Yes, drive both. We drove 04 LC, 04 Sequoia and 04 GX470 (ended up with the GX). Not even close. Even my wife could easily tell the differences between the LC and Sequoia. Drivetrain is about the only thing they have in common...

The LC is a udate of the Land Cruiser station wagon line (aka SUV) FJ55, FJ60, FJ80, its the FJ100. The Sequoia is a SUV based on the Tundra platform. The Sequoia is a larger both in exterior and interior deminsions but the LC technically has seating for 8 vs 7 in the Sequoia. And some new versions of the Sequoia that have the center row middle pod seating is just 6.

Th LC is always fully loaded the Sequoia is not. The Sequoia had MORE power till 2006 no LC is the same. The LC has been considered more off-road ready then the Sequoia based on its drive train and suspension. The LC also seems to use higher quality materials and has a better fit and finish... more Lexus like.

The Seq is the better buy for 95% of the SUV buyers. They share the same motor though the Seq is is more roomy, has more passenger space, is reliable and sells for $20K less. In no way though is it a LC.

The LC offers substantial upgrades in the suspension, build quality, ride quality, longevity, and the like. While most will not pay $20K more for these improvements they should not be discounted. A Seq is in no way a Cruiser.

While the GX is closer, it too is not of the same quality.

If you have to ask, please get the Seq. Just kidding. What Shotts said, better buy for 95% of the country. The Seq is a good Toyota product, the LC is a great Toyota product. The LC build quality reminds me of the 80's turbo diesel benzs, solid as a rock.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
The Seq is the better buy for 95% of the SUV buyers. They share the same motor though the Seq is is more roomy, has more passenger space, is reliable and sells for $20K less. In no way though is it a LC.

The LC offers substantial upgrades in the suspension, build quality, ride quality, longevity, and the like. While most will not pay $20K more for these improvements they should not be discounted. A Seq is in no way a Cruiser.

While the GX is closer, it too is not of the same quality.

One thing I should have added:

Do NOT buy the Seq for "off-roading". Not only is it too big and not really built for it, but the traction control is not "tuned" for off-road use. It's tuned for safety on-road. Forest roads OK. Trails? NOPE!

Had one of the first Sequoias in 2001. Great SUV if you have to seat adults in the third row--more leg and foot room. I don't care what people say, LC third row is only for kids or small adults.

I got rid of the Sequoia in 2004 and now have 2 LCs--a 97 and 99. I went from a newer SUV to two older ones. Why? The LC is just a better truck. What people all over this board say is absolutely true--"once you drive a LC you will know the difference." Also my kids are old enough that they don't go in the truck with us (therefore don't need the 3rd row as often).

It drives much more solid than a Sequoia. I also wonder about a vehicle made in US (Indiana) vs Japan. Please, I don't want to get into an arguement on this one! I just think that if you plan on keeping a vehicle for a long time (>10-15 years), this is the way to go.

Drive both and you will know the difference. A $20,000 difference? Depends on what you are using it for and how long you plan on keeping it.

Suspensions are completely different. Have you ever compared a Tundra/GX/4runner A-arms to the LC's? The LC's are like twice as thick. The LC is built for lots of offroad driving (hence, everything is heavier duty, more cross beams in the frame, etc.). Also, it means stuff doesn't creak after going offroad a few times. You're basically paying for the extra build quality for prolonged offroad use. Sure, you can notice an immediate difference on smooth streets, but the difference is more pronounced if you even wheel hundreds of miles on forest service roads (and those of us who do or have lived in certain parts of the country know that you may have to drive many miles on dirt to reach your destination). If you drive to the grocery store/mall only, it doesn't matter what you get. My hunch is the 4runner/GX suspension is still better than the Tundra/Sequoias, as the former is built on a Prado chassis, and the Prado is sold internationally and is the smaller variant of a LC100, while the Tundra was designed only for N. American roads/use. The LC100 designers said they had to beef up everything due to the weight, and they anticipated that w/ the V8, people would drive faster off road. The Sequoia weighs about as much as the LC, but doesn't have that extra build to hold it together for that type of use.

IMHO the LC and in particular the 100 series is the pinnacle of Toyota truck development. The LC has always been the top of the line Toyota along withe the Crown sedan (better known as the LS400). Why this is still true today Toyota's strategy particularly for the US market changed in the late 90's. It saw the high profit margins and its lack of penatration in the US full-size truck market as an oppertunity and it spawned the Tundra/Sequoia line.

I see the T/S branch as sperate from the 4Runner/Tacoma/LC branch and runs in parallel. While the LC is and the orginal Toyota truck direction is superior in many ways I think Toyota will evolve the T/S branch and it will become equally good but set to a different standard... ie the US truck market.

I think the new full-size change to the Toyota line up for 2007 (along with the 2008 SUV) will be very interesting to watch, as to how Toyota positions its full size trucks and SUV's against the current LC. And even if the 100 will be marketed in the US. Its already clear that Toyota is adopting the Prado/Tacoma/4runner platform for the FJ Cruiser. I don't think Toyota will stop producing 100's (as it even continues the LC70's everywhere but here and the LC80, for the LAtin market)... but I do think the LC100 life in the US will be limited once the FJ Cruiser replaces the name plate and the new 2008 Sequoia (and Lexus version) becomes superior to the LC100 by US marketing standards.

Jim_Chow said:
My hunch is the 4runner/GX suspension is still better than the Tundra/Sequoias, as the former is built on a Prado chassis, and the Prado is sold internationally and is the smaller variant of a LC100, while the Tundra was designed only for N. American roads/use.

***I'd have to agree***

The Sequoia weighs about as much as the LC, but doesn't have that extra build to hold it together for that type of use.

Seq weighs less than a Cruiser despite it's larger size. This is true of most larger-than-Cruiser SUV's. A huge frickin' Suburban only weighs 200 lbs (I forget) more than a Cruiser.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Seq weighs less than a Cruiser despite it's larger size. This is true of most larger-than-Cruiser SUV's. A huge frickin' Suburban only weighs 200 lbs (I forget) more than a Cruiser.

I guess the point I was trying to make was although the Sequoia is bigger and nearly as heavy as the LC, the additional weight (and then some) of the LC is in the heavier chassis/suspension/build quality. If there were of equal build quality, the Sequoia would weigh more due to larger size.

Landpimp said:
the 100 is made in Japan by Araco(but not the 05's) the fit and finish is much better then the Sq, quailty of the parts is also IMOP better in the LC.

Pimp what do you mean the 2005 was not made in Araco?

Landpimp said:

I have the same question, what's the deal with this Araco? I just bought a 2005.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the 2005's ?

ARACO has assembled Land Cruisers for Toyota since the beginning of time, basically they make the best vehicle Toyota has to offer. Whether the quality will continue or decline, now that the LC is apparently assembled by a Toyota plant, no one knows.

I always thought an important factor of Sequoia driving is that it sits higher, has a higher center of gravity, and weighs less. I don't think I've ever felt I was in jeapardy of tipping in my LC.

Like what was said previously, Sequoia *is* the best buy for most families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom