September ROTM - Saturday, September 29 - Back Way to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be going as well but I may leave a bit earlier. My rig doesn't like the heat. What do you think the temps are going to be when we hit the trial and at what point does the heat start to drop? I also have some friends who want to tag along (4runner, jeep wrang, 4 runner, 2000 toy pickup) (they do not have LC's) (i know .... mistake...) Is this ok? Never been on a run with the club.

I will be going as well but I may leave a bit earlier. My rig doesn't like the heat. What do you think the temps are going to be when we hit the trial and at what point does the heat start to drop? I also have some friends who want to tag along (4runner, jeep wrang, 4 runner, 2000 toy pickup) (they do not have LC's) (i know .... mistake...) Is this ok? Never been on a run with the club.

I guess we can allow a jeeper to join, only if they're cool ;)
Glad to have you and your friends along!

It'll be high 80s by the time we hit the trail and move into the 90s as we get going, it cools off a bit once we reach higher elevation and the treeline, about 3/4 of the wah through. Crown King high is 80 that day. If you do end up opting to run ahead and not meet up with the group, please post so we're not waiting for you at the meet spot.

If you have a HAM, we will be on 146.460.

I'll be there. Ham-less.

For our ham-less members

Amazon has you covered for under $37 you get everything you need going forward. You get 12 volt and USB charging given you no reason to ever take it out of your LC.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkie-1800M...1-27-spons&keywords=baofeng&psc=1&tag=ihco-20

71tsQc2htAL._SL1000_.jpg

For our ham-less members

Amazon has you covered for under $37 you get everything you need going forward. You get 12 volt and USB charging given you no reason to ever take it out of your LC.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkie-1800M...1-27-spons&keywords=baofeng&psc=1&tag=ihco-20

71tsQc2htAL._SL1000_.jpg
I was looking at this one a couple of days ago. Almost twice as much but a ton of good reviews. I'm just starting to dip my toe into the offroading things I don't know if I need all this. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

the 2nd generation (5watt) $30 baofeng 5r will be plenty of radio for local runs and direct communication with the trail group.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=psdc_2230642011_t1_B00MAULSOK

the battery lasts pretty long if you charge it overnight before a run. if you leave it in the truck and forget to charge it, the 12v adaptor (sold separately) comes in pretty handy ;)

I've got the older version and ran an antenna to the roof and was picking up other groups in telluride a couple miles away. (mountain to mountain)

I was looking at this one a couple of days ago. Almost twice as much but a ton of good reviews. I'm just starting to dip my toe into the offroading things I don't know if I need all this. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

The ham set up I link will carry 90% of the people out there without any additional purchase while providing everything you will need going forward. I own both 5 & 8 watt radios with the extended antenna and have not been able to tell a difference. :meh:

Speaking of the trip, I won't be able to make it, wife made plans at the same time I did, and we did not communicate those plans to each other till it was too late.

Speaking of the trip, I won't be able to make it, wife made plans at the same time I did, and we did not communicate those plans to each other till it was too late.
I’m a maybe on this one having never done it before. Went wheeling today, it’s too damn hot. Go away summer!
I’m updating to confirmed. See ya’ll Saturday, you bunch of ham bones. Trying to get me out of my crappy CB radio? :) 60% of the time, it works every time.

I see a DVD and a USB cable in the Amazon ad. Does this require a Windoze PC to setup?

I'm certainly no wiz and needed Google to get the station set since to me instructions were not very user friendly like written in a foreign country. But did not need to plug into the ccomputer.Tried to charge while off roading by three of use with no success. Radio moved to much and was in a failed state of flashing green-red on the LED. Left the vehicle in accessories on the ignition and battery charge find. Down side of cigarette lighter not working with ignition off.

FYI that is just a piece of cardboard not a DVD. Need to go online to down load if you want more advantes setup I guess.

We have several of the Baofengs, the regular battery lasts all day easily. We got extended battery on two of them. We've never exhausted either of these batteries, barely make a dent in it after all day on 100% of time. So we don't even bring a charger of any kind, just bring the 2 spare batteries. No hassle at all!
They're ridiculously cheap, easy to use, self contained (no antenna to mount) and extremely CLEAR.
AND...FYI....for other situations/uses you can tune to an FRS/GMRS frequency if you don't have a ham license.

We'll bring our 2 extra radios so folks can try them.....you'll never go back to CB!

the 2nd generation (5watt) $30 baofeng 5r will be plenty of radio for local runs and direct communication with the trail group.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=psdc_2230642011_t1_B00MAULSOK

the battery lasts pretty long if you charge it overnight before a run. if you leave it in the truck and forget to charge it, the 12v adaptor (sold separately) comes in pretty handy ;)

I've got the older version and ran an antenna to the roof and was picking up other groups in telluride a couple miles away. (mountain to mountain)
I ordered this one on Amazon. Anything special for setting it up for a HAM newbie?

I ordered this one on Amazon. Anything special for setting it up for a HAM newbie?
Open box, attach antenna, attach battery, charge it if needed, turn on switch, enter frequency via keypad, and you’re ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom