SEM paint procedure for chipping paint. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to refinish my console fridge soon with SEM Graphite Gray paint. I’ve read several post about finishing interior pieces but none elaborate on how to address large chipping bits of paint.

Would it be best to try and remove all of the paint? Or use some type of filler to even the surface?
06E0A447-0E6E-47B4-A81F-7547A01909A0.jpeg

High solids primer should Raise it up so you can sand it flush. But no paint will match the texture on the lower portion of the console.

Last edited:
I always thought the consoles were just raw, molded plastic. Do you have any close up pictures of the exposed areas?

Was yours ever re-coated previously?

High solids primer should Rae
I've it up so you can sand it flush. But no paint will match the texture on the lower portion of the console.
Just the top portions and the lips chipping. The bottoms fine. I’ll take some close up pics later to better show the chipping.

I’m not certain if it was previously refinished in Japan. To my knowledge it hasn’t been
B5D6691D-A95B-4A70-8A05-3B4C38199DC3.jpeg

0654D6F3-A025-4066-B9CB-1976CF12DA78.jpeg

45E3AC3A-CE8D-4030-A9C6-BF0C355EC43F.jpeg

Looks like a repaint to me.

You need to sand it all down and remove any lose material or it well just happen again. JMHO

That’s
Looks like a repaint to me.

You need to sand it all down and remove any lose material or it well just happen again

That’s kinda what I figured. What’s the opinions of the plastic promoter and primer? Use both then paint?

I would take that lid off and take it in to a local auto paint jobber. See what they think about it.

Why is the lid textured plastic, but then smooth near the edges? I know nothing about these import models, but I'm inclined to agree with @Broski. Maybe a shoddy paint job before listing it for export?

The only reason to use primer in a situation like this is to build it up and sand it level. Do you want a smooth finish? If you want the faux leather grain to it, you're going to have to come up with a different strategy.

Another possibility is to cover it in vinyl. That will give you a nice look and feel.
Cechaflo on YouTube has some videos demonstrating how to wrap interior panels:

I’m either or on the texture as long as it all looks similar.

I have a Delta shift console coming and that’s just smooth powder coat

Appears like it may have been refinished at some point in the past, never seen an original 80 series plastic part peel like that. As already mentioned, some of the surfaces look too smooth and some edges not perfectly straight, like you might see with hand refinishing, not like something that came out of a mold.

But then I'm assuming that part wasn't originally hand made?? IDK.

There's a couple of people from the Middle East who sell parts in the Classifieds now and then, maybe one of them could find a replacement???

would low pressure sand or walnut blasting knock it off?

I don’t feel like it’s bad off enough to replace.

Clean,prime,sand, prime,sand then paint. It’s all in the prep. That piece had little prep before it was painted.If you have a spray can of paint,shake really well and let the can sit in the sun for an hour or so. The spray tips that are a cylinder put out a poor pattern. They make better tips for cans available ar good auto paint stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom