Selling my FJ, is an 80 series next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A Dirtco build would be solid and reliable crawler. Just turn the key and wheel.

Well I went to see it. It has 165,000 miles, engine internals rebuilt by Toyota dealer at 135,000 miles after the dealer grease monkey forgot to replace the oil drain plug. Head gasket replaced less than 1000 miles ago by Toyota dealer. In the last 2 years it has had a new starter, new power steering pump, bunch of radiator hoses replaced, brake service. All maintenance done at Toyota. SC was installed by dealer when new, never serviced. Did not see any records for transmission service. There is a note somewhere in the maintenance record saying to keep an eye on the cats. It appears owner took it to Toyota a few times complaining of shaking, one time they found a cracked plug, other time could not replicate the problem. Interior is in great shape. Exterior is not bad, amount of rust underneath is not bad, engine bay is very clean. Clear coat wearing off on the hood and the roof. Never lifted or tinkered with. The bad: it has a shake/rumble when pushing the RPMs above 4500, feels like engine shake. Perhaps engine mounts? Or the supercharger needs a rebuild? At idle is also kinda a little roughish, not sure if the supercharger affects this or not. I also found that the brakes are kinda weak, at least compared to my FJ, pedal has more travel and the brakes just don't bite very hard. Local LC guy can't look at it for me for a while unfortunately.

my brakes felt the exact same way even after replacing all rotors, calipers, and pads.. A week ago I deleted the LSPV and ABS and it's a completely different vehicle with stopping. The pedal is comparable to my 2014 4runner and it stops just as good. If I ever sell this 80 and get another, it'll be the first mod I do.

The other thing that’s odd is if the dealer did a full engine rebuild after running it out of oil only 30,000 miles ago, why did the headgasket have to be replaced again 1000 miles ago? Does the seller have all of this documented? An engine rebuild after oil starvation is going to be thousands of dollars. And I can’t believe they threw it back together with the old headgasket...

The other thing that’s odd is if the dealer did a full engine rebuild after running it out of oil only 30,000 miles ago, why did the headgasket have to be replaced again 1000 miles ago? Does the seller have all of this documented? An engine rebuild after oil starvation is going to be thousands of dollars. And I can’t believe they threw it back together with the old headgasket...
That’s a great point. I think I am going to walk away from this one. They also want 11k which is way to steep IMO

my brakes felt the exact same way even after replacing all rotors, calipers, and pads.. A week ago I deleted the LSPV and ABS and it's a completely different vehicle with stopping. The pedal is comparable to my 2014 4runner and it stops just as good. If I ever sell this 80 and get another, it'll be the first mod I do.

I'm about to do this on my 80. I haven't found one bad thing said by people that have deleted the ABS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom