Seeking initial advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah to all that. But I live in the Northeast and don’t have a garage so winter repairs suck. Also, unlike most people on here, I just drive this. It never goes off road. So you’re saying that you need to literally replace the knuckles on those things as regular maintenance? That seems wild to me. They should last the life of the vehicle unless you’re abusing it or off roading. Then again, the thing is 30 years old.
I never said that you need to replace knuckles as regular maint, but looking at the tire wear, and the sheared/missing studs, maint isnt too high on your priority list as you said "I just drive this......" Im upgrading my build, so everything youre going to need, I have and in good shape. Im in Wisconsin, so can totally relate to the cold, but still not an excuse for letting it get to that point.

Check your nuts boys! It's a dang T-shirt for Pete's sake. Every now and again you need to check that the nuts are all there...it's literally a quick peak to make sure you have 4 nuts on each knuckle end. If you don't check it out. And if one is hanging lower than another...well it's not a person so it isn't natural.

Check your nuts boys! It's a dang T-shirt for Pete's sake. Every now and again you need to check that the nuts are all there...it's literally a quick peak to make sure you have 4 nuts on each knuckle end. If you don't check it out. And if one is hanging lower than another...well it's not a person so it isn't natural.
😂😂

I concur with previous observations but have one additional note. The pictures show a puddle of grease on the flatbed, most drivers keep their stuff clean so I assume it is from your truck, the point of concern is that there should only be grease in your knuckle but if there is oil then that lends to an axle seal failure. If this is the case then yes you do have to do a rebuild because to get to the seal you have to tear into it.

I would watch OTRAAM on YouTube for his video, Ryan give a good breakdown of what would go into the repair and it will give you a good reference to know what to expect and the terminology a repair shop might throw at you when quoting for the job. The rebuild kit is fairly inexpensive but what will kill you is the labor.

If you choose to attempt the repair yourself, the rebuild might be less intrusive/costly if all the pats are within spec and all you need is the basic rebuild kit. IMHO I would call on of the vendors on here that are reputable and knowledgeable and can help out. @cruiseroutfit are great to work with and ship fast, Kurt and his guys at Cruiseroutfitters are solid people. As previously stated, download the FSM here (resource section) for free and it will become your best friend.

I concur with previous observations but have one additional note. The pictures show a puddle of grease on the flatbed, most drivers keep their stuff clean so I assume it is from your truck, the point of concern is that there should only be grease in your knuckle but if there is oil then that lends to an axle seal failure. If this is the case then yes you do have to do a rebuild because to get to the seal you have to tear into it.

I would watch OTRAAM on YouTube for his video, Ryan give a good breakdown of what would go into the repair and it will give you a good reference to know what to expect and the terminology a repair shop might throw at you when quoting for the job. The rebuild kit is fairly inexpensive but what will kill you is the labor.

If you choose to attempt the repair yourself, the rebuild might be less intrusive/costly if all the pats are within spec and all you need is the basic rebuild kit. IMHO I would call on of the vendors on here that are reputable and knowledgeable and can help out. @cruiseroutfit are great to work with and ship fast, Kurt and his guys at Cruiseroutfitters are solid people. As previously stated, download the FSM here (resource section) for free and it will become your best friend.
Just watched…he’s got great videos. Totally doable with decent weather. Also he has nice tools! I agree, obviously the seal is junk and maybe a whole knuckle unless you can just replace the studs. Thanks for the referral to his channel! How many hours should that job be? I think I could do it in 6 with all the tools and parts and grease on hand.

Last edited:
Just watched…he’s got great videos. Totally doable with decent weather. Also he has nice tools! I agree, obviously the seal is junk and maybe a whole knuckle unless you can just replace the studs. Thanks for the referral to his channel! How many hours should that job be? I think I could do it in 6 with all the tools and parts and grease on hand.
It's a full weekend job. Cleaning the old parts is what takes so much time.

Go for it!

@Vaudo if you are doing it I believe the biggest factor in the time would be your wrenching prowess and in your case the weather. There are other thread son here but the TLDR is to allot a weekend and hope for the best with parts not needing to be ordered.

I cannot recall but I recently saw someone on here says they got a shop quote for 24 hours but I cannot find it doing a quick search. Like I said before, the labor is going to bite you as it is a messy/dirty job and most shops are going to ask a premium to take it on. There are not really any specialty tools required outside of what a basic mechanic toolset wuld have. Note: There are a couple items that you may not have readily available: Spindle nut socket and a brass drift. If you go through CruiserOutfitters they sell the socket and if they have the dual purpose one (can be used on front and back) than I would add that to your order. The brass drift should be available at a parts store or a box warehouse (orange or blue your choice).

Here is a link in the FAQ for knuckle rebuilds: Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-axle-rebuild-for-faq.78276/

Last edited:
This link is a discussion on time expectations:

This link is a discussion on time expectations:
That thread is pretty funny! Don’t use your wife’s spatula…check! I’ve ripped that thing apart enough…if I had better conditions I’d do myself for sure and quick. You’re right, the cleaning is the bear. We’ll see what the dealer says.

Is anyone buying non OEM knuckles? If so, from whom? My studs are broken in the knuckle so if I do the repair myself and can’t remove them, I am looking at a new knuckle too.

The knuckle studs aren't under tension anymore, so they should come out fairly easily. There should be enough meat exposed to get some vice grips on them and give a twist. You might end up with a good outcome.

I can hear tool cabinet bearings roll as drawers across the nation are being opened to find the torque wrench and a 17mm short wall socket...
Screenshot_20231221-084013.jpg

Is anyone buying non OEM knuckles? If so, from whom? My studs are broken in the knuckle so if I do the repair myself and can’t remove them, I am looking at a new knuckle too.
I actually had to replace one of mine when I did my axle rebuild. I went through @Deathvalleypaul for it but there are several other members that have part out rigs that may be closer to you and you could save on shipping. Paul was great, responded quickly and shipped just as fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom