Sector Shaft Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an early steering box at WTOR being rebuilt. The sector shaft is bent to the point of rebuilding problems.
They said put the 105 sector shaft in it. I've seen lots of threads on here about that not working with early boxes. They said is no issue, its the same shaft in all boxes.

What gives?

105 shaft is technically only an upgrade for an 80 box.

Has anyone attempted it into a 60 box? Unsure, buy the shaft and measure or find someone with a 105 shaft and do some measurements. Never had one side by side.

Most don't have issues with 60 series boxes...80s have issues where the power piston was increased in size and the diameter of the splines on the sector shaft would twist under heavy stress. 105 shaft increased spline diameter to resolve. This wasn't an issue in 60 boxes.

I wouldn't worry about the 60 box, you'll be fine. If you went to an 80 series box, it would make sense to upgrade to 105 sector shaft/pitman arm then you'd have a bullet proof box.

Last edited:
I don’t want to upgrade. WTOR says my shaft has too much “wobble”.
Attached is a video and pics from them.

7F8B37A5-6D01-453F-B4A0-4BF08BC1B5E7.jpeg

52294A2A-49EA-4438-B269-BEEF4C159066.jpeg

I have a video but I cant get it to upload, go figure.
WTOR says the shaft is straight but the splines or at the splines is the wobble.

I would trust WTOR, they tend to do good work.

Get another stock sector shaft. Unless yours just was not chocked in the lathe properly (not likely IMHO)

You can’t get new shafts.
The only new shaft you can get is the 105 shaft.

dannyvp

I’m in the same boat as you. Our boxes are probably sitting next to each other at WTOR.

I went through the PDF’s of the original Toyota microfiche and I found that the part number for the sector shaft changed in early 1985 for US spec 60’s. I’m almost positive that a late-60/62/80 sector shaft cannot be used in an early 60 box. The part number for the early 60 sector shaft is 44111-60020

There may be some good news though. Using the 60020 part number, I ordered a new, made in Japan, sector shaft from Amayama. ETA is Feb 5-13. My cc has been billed, so I’m presuming it’s in stock. After I receive it and forward it to WTOR, I’ll report back.

upload_2019-1-29_18-9-49.gif

Last edited:
Maybe dumb question .. but with the cost of a new sector shaft, would not make sense just install an upgraded ( 105 shaft ) 80 series box or a late 60 series box ?

Maybe dumb question .. but with the cost of a new sector shaft, would not make sense just install an upgraded ( 105 shaft ) 80 series box or a late 60 series box ?

I thought about that. The issue is that the bolt pattern is different. To make things more complicated, the frame is internally sleeved to keep it from deforming. To do things right, I suspect a portion of the frame would have to replaced.

I thought about cutting a section of frame if I have too for an upgraded box.
I still have a gear box in my truck. The one at WTOR was just my easy plan for a one day swap and upgrade.

How much was your shaft?

There is an early 60 box on eBay right now.

I thought about that. The issue is that the bolt pattern is different. To make things more complicated, the frame is internally sleeved to keep it from deforming. To do things right, I suspect a portion of the frame would have to replaced.

I know about the bolt pattern differences .. but IIRC are not that big .. an adapter flange can be made to make it work ?

That shaft is bad. Vid is pretty clear. If WTOR says you can use the 105, I would trust them; They've done more Toyota boxes than I've eaten Wheaties.

That shaft is bad. Vid is pretty clear. If WTOR says you can use the 105, I would trust them; They've done more Toyota boxes than I've eaten Wheaties.
Do you know the fulll part number for the 105 sector shaft? If it’s for the 80 box I’m almost positive it won’t fit the early 60.

My 62 steering box is being rebuilt at WTOR as we speak. I ran the 105 sector shaft replacement idea by Justin today and he said unequivocally that it is not suitable as a replacement for a 60 series.

There is two steering box in my shed. One from a Canadian 1983 BJ60 power steering and the other one no power steering probably from a Canadiab 60 not sure maybe a 40.
If it can help someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom