Seats rebuild: OEM Springs VS. Foam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MexicanNewby

SILVER Star
Threads
So,

The moment of seat re building has come in my 1965 FJ40LV project, which I am trying to keep as original as possible.

The original upholstery is there but its toast (it's the light orange/peach color, pics attached).

So I am at this dilemma:

Should I rebuild exactly as it was originally with springs and foam? Or is new foam technology very much improved to the point it is reasonable to use all foaminstead of the OEM spring system?

I am at a crossroad with this one: Springs are OEM but foam could be a much better solution this day an age.: it's more comfortable and it's not perceivable at a first glance.

Is there a rule of thumb to this? I am aware this is entirely up to what I want, etc... but I'd very much appreciate your input or any other possible solution any of you guys may have found.

Mud love,

Jeronimo

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Last edited:
I used SOR seat kit on my '65 FJ40. It included foam as well as the covers. The foam was used with the existing coil springs as shown in your pic.

I did the same as Middlecalf on my wife's 45. The SOR foam is great but the original springs are weak and my ass bottoms out on bumps and I'm a small guy. I wrapped the foam in cloth so the springs wouldn't dig into the foam over time.

I used SOR seat kit on my '65 FJ40. It included foam as well as the covers. The foam was used with the existing coil springs as shown in your pic.
I did the same as Middlecalf on my wife's 45. The SOR foam is great but the original springs are weak and my ass bottoms out on bumps and I'm a small guy. I wrapped the foam in cloth so the springs wouldn't dig into the foam over time.

I guess my question is: How does the Spring+Foam original seat system fair VS. an all foam seat cushioning system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom