Seat Swap ?!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had any luck with a comfortable seat swap? I've used the cheap PVC leather buckets that are all over ebay in other rigs but was hoping for something a little more comfortable and factory looking. I know there will be some fab work involved with brackets. Just searching for ideas at this point. Just can't see dropping a couple grand ++ on seat covers and new foam to get my 21 year old seats back into shape.

Thanks for any input.

The factory cloth seats are a big step up from the leather ones in my opinion and lighter than the leather ones. I have a set from a 91 80 that I did not use because I didn't want to figure out the seatbelt on the floor. They are probably more comfy than the leather seats. Other people have used wrx seats and camaro seats that I know of those require fab work though.

I put some jeep grand cherokee seats on planted brackets with manual sliders in mine. The factory electric seat slide from the jeep wouldn't fit the 80 and the 80 factory bracket didn't fit the jeep seats. The jeep seats are offset by about 4 inches which makes it a real pain to match any other seat design. I had to modify the planted brakes just to work and by that time I figured I might as well make my own bracket for the passenger side. Luckily I only bought the ds at first. It was more work than I expected and it kind of sucks to not have power seats for the slide portion, but the lumbar and tilt are still power. But I am happy with the end result, they're WAY more comfortable than the brick hard stock seats.

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
There's a really good, old thread on seat swaps with several examples including fabrication details. The top recommended donors seem to be the Land Rover Discovery and the Volvo XC90. WRX seats are relatively popular, and Celica seats seem like a good option.

So much of it depends on your own body and preferences that it seems pointless to ask. Just go to a junkyard and sit in seats until you find one you like.

Personally, I want some extra headroom, so I'm going to look into Celica seats. I'm not a fan of the pseudo-race design, but they look like they sit very low and they have a height adjustment.

Has anyone had any luck with a comfortable seat swap? I've used the cheap PVC leather buckets that are all over ebay in other rigs but was hoping for something a little more comfortable and factory looking. I know there will be some fab work involved with brackets. Just searching for ideas at this point. Just can't see dropping a couple grand ++ on seat covers and new foam to get my 21 year old seats back into shape.

Thanks for any input.

Agree with @goranvolvo on this one, just do a search in 80 tech and you should find several good threads. A lot of what your looking for has already been detailed for you. You can also type in WRX seats as the search and you should get a thread that I posted a few years back. Enjoy

I swapped in the factory cloth out of a 93-94. They're much more comfortable than the leather ones, but I'm currently considering a suspension seat since I drive the truck on dirt so much.

The PRP daily driver looks good in an 80:
IMG_1774.JPG

But I will probably go with the Nomad from Mastercraft. At $200 per seat it's hard to beat that price. The only real concern I have about these is getting them lower. I like that my cloth seats sit lower than the leather ones and I would want to keep that.
IMG_1775.JPG

Think long and hard about a fixed position seat.

I installed some old Recaros on Wedge sliding brackets. They bolted up without any modifications to the bracket or seats. Gave me approximately 6" more leg room and 6" more head room. I'm 6'4" so this worked out great for me but would definitely recommend a higher sitting seat for anyone under 6' or with a short torso.

Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 90-97 Seat Brackets

Why not just put stock seats back on the wedge brackets? Were they too tall? There are so many 80s I have see that have broken motors I was thinking about just getting a couple of those you linked to and not redoing motors. Has anyone else done that? (I am not curious on the how it was done as much as the how do you like it?)

Why not just put stock seats back on the wedge brackets? Were they too tall? There are so many 80s I have see that have broken motors I was thinking about just getting a couple of those you linked to and not redoing motors. Has anyone else done that? (I am not curious on the how it was done as much as the how do you like it?)

Great question. Why not just put stock seats back on wedge or other brackets? So many broken motors. Had the same idea and thought about ordering a set to see what happens.

Anyone tried remounting stock seats on brackets w/ sliders, like
or
Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 90-97 Seat Brackets - Corbeau Racing Seats

Call Ironpig in Fredericksburg, Lance set me up with Procar Scat seat for my 80, they came with mounting brackets. The downside is they are manual. Very comfortable and I think they were reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom