SD-40 Sight Glass - Possible Production (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All,

I have come to the realization that multiple people on this forum are in need of a SD-40 Large window sight glass. I would love to have an original but I know that that may only be a dream.

In the mean time, I am probably going to make my own. I would be willing to make a few extras for other members if they are interested. My initial vision will be to currently produce a Nikki style sight glass found on Toyota Stouts similar to the figure 1.
pa060032-jpg.682543

Figure 1. Toyota Stout Nikki Carb. (photo credit : user @3_puppies )

I say Nikki style because the SD-40 is not a Nikki carb. I would prefer to have the Aisan name and logo on my glass similar to the following picture, figure 2.
10273371_10152718114820743_4221777096940427347_o-jpg.966198

Figure 2: Aisan SD-40 sight glass picture. (photo credit user @treerootCO )

From what I can tell, The Nikki sight glass is a single pane, etched glass; with the etching on the outside of the window shown in figure 3.
image-jpeg.1561560

Figure 3: Detailed Nikki Sight glass. (photo credit user @cppilot )

What I need from the valuable members of mud to make this happen:

1. Dimension of the Nikki sight glass including: corner radius, thickness, width and height.
2. Front view of the Nikki sight glass on black paper or a dark surface. (this is to pull the font and size to be etched.
3. Front view and dimensions of the Aisan SD-40 large window sight glass including: corner radius, thickness, width and height.
4. Front view of the Aisan sight glass on black paper or a dark surface. (this is to pull the font and size to be etched.
5. Any other dimensions for the Aisan sight glass. From the pictures, It looks to be three dimensional. This could potentially be manufactured from a ground and polished piece of glass to have a very accurate reproduction for Version 2.0 of this project.

Thanks members of Mud!

Are you planning of making these yourself or someone else?

Glass would be nice but knowing little about glass, not sure how you would go about it.

2 years ago my small window 1 barrel sight glass(which is not glass from what I can tell) leaked from a crack. One of my clients is the aerospace biz....he took my old one and made me 3 replacements using some clear medical grade plastic or something, works like a charm. While not needed or asked for, he even made the bubble in the glass. No clue what they cost, he wouldn't take money. But my guess is not cheap(he sends stuff to space), started with a 6x6x6 block of material, than his guys put it a CNC machine to whittle it down.

Latter i had a brain fart and realized the small window might be the same as newer aisin carbs...and could have robbed one of those.

I believe I have a new large window SD40 sight glass new in the bag from Toyota.

For the version 1.0. I would be making them myself. I have access to a laser cutting and etching machine. I also have access to CNC machining equipment. I will need to run some experiments to see if the laser will be able to etch the glass or if it needs to be chemically etched.

I am planning on using borosilicate glass, the same stuff that Pyrex is made of. This will ensure that it is a high quality glass that will not break with changes of temperature and will have greater impact resistance. I looked into plastics briefly but was unable to find a transparent plastic that would hold up well to gasoline over time. If anyone has suggestions, I would be glad to look into them.

For version 2.0, I would most likely look into a glass or plastics molding company to see if they would be able to replicate the SD40 sight glass shape. I would like to have dimensions so I could 3D model the component to have it quoted for a prototype.

If you would be able to take detailed measurements of the sight glass, It would be extremely helpful in this process.

Thanks!

My quick thought,,, Someone that does stained glass for a hobby could cut and shape that to size in a few minutes. For the artwork I think sandblasting would be the easiest. Cut your own stencil or have it made.
>(Link)<

Steamer,

I have a glass cutter, breaker, and sander. So that will not be a problem at all. The sandblasting idea is a great one though.

The company that you linked creates custom stencils. If I can get a super clear picture of the Aisan logo, Maybe I can get them to make a sandblasting stencil. Great call.

The plastic copy has been on for 2 years...looks like new .Also it's clear like glass. I think the material (acrylic )used for dental appliances, . I have pics but they are on photofawket

If I recall, I believe 2 pieces was around 50.00 each. Do not hold me to that as I was also fishing other borosilicate manufacturers. I will bet that if a run of 50 or so , they would really go down.

that sounds pretty reasonable

If I recall, I believe 2 pieces was around 50.00 each. Do not hold me to that as I was also fishing other borosilicate manufacturers. I will bet that if a run of 50 or so , they would really go down.

I could use a half dozen.

I could look into getting another quote and does anyone believe that there are still perhaps 100 carbs out there ? If I get 100 made I hope that would satisfy the need for now.

Reasonably sure Jim C would want a few. Maybe @pardion too.

Post up in the 25 section as well.

@bringemback posted in classifieds he got burned trying to buy one, so he's probably still looking too.

the one that says Aisan is actually the blue back plate in the sight glass not on the glass itself.
Someone tried using my back plate to get reproductions made several years ago and had no luck.

good luck, if it works out, I'd take 2 just to have.

@1969FJ as for the amount of carbs still in use, MWAG would be closer to 750-1000 I know of eight just in my area. Jim C or Mark A would have a better guess

the one that says Aisan is actually the blue back plate in the sight glass not on the glass itself.
Someone tried using my back plate to get reproductions made several years ago and had no luck.

good luck, if it works out, I'd take 2 just to have.

@1969FJ as for the amount of carbs still in use, MWAG would be closer to 750-1000 I know of eight just in my area. Jim C or Mark A would have a better guess

Thanks, the vendor certainly has an interest in future possible orders. I have requested a quote and will report as soon as I have more information. Attached is a pic of just the glass itself. It is clear to all the Aisan is a backplate, not in the glass.

102_0706.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom