Scuba Steve's 80 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added a Smittybilt 12K X2O Gen 2 winch today. I know people have mixed opinions about the Smittybilt winches but for me it was affordable and came with a 5 year warranty for free on a deal a local shop was running. I have a laundry list of things I want to do to the LC and saving money anywhere I can is the goal.

I know a few guys that haven't had any issues with the Smittybilt winches So I am hoping I have the same experience. I will do a small review here after I have put this thing through the wringer and I'll tell you what I think.

In the end the LC now has a winch and I desperately needed one. I'm happy with the way it looks, now just need to find out how well it performs.

1588828460523.png
1588828534558.png

Been knocking out some little projects here lately.
  • AC Drier Relocation Kit
  • Slee Secondary battery kit- Washer fluid reservoir moved and new battery tray installed
  • Blue Fan clutch- Went with 30K cst.
I'm am still trying to decide how I want to set up my dual battery. Looking at using the Redarc BCDC125 for my isolator. Not sure which deep cycle battery will fit and that I want to go with either. Open to suggestions on how anyone else has set this up with a fuse box.

Had to move the AC drier now that the short bus is on there. Very happy with the kit I got and the way it turned out. Now just have to take it to a shop to have the Freon refilled, not something I want to try and do myself.

Blue fan clutch was a great upgrade. I added my own oil and went with 30 cst. I was running around 195F around town and haven't gotten above 188F now with the new clutch. Excited to see how this improves my temps on the trails.

1591058034344.png
1591058055952.png
1591058079996.png
1591058103695.png

Added a new AC condenser and got my AC recharged after disconnecting the lines a few months ago to replace my heater core. I figured while the lines were empty I would update as much of the AC system as I could. Good to have cold air again, especially in these AL temps.

1592357947205.png

Lookin good!

sweet build thread! I am curious under what conditions your head gasket gave ?

sweet build thread! I am curious under what conditions your head gasket gave ?
Thanks! Mine blew while pulling a load of firewood on my trailer. I smelt coolant and looked down at my scan gauge and my temp was 240. I immediately pulled over and saw that my coolant reservoir was full and had blown coolant out the overflow all over the engine. After I pulled over the engine cooled and I got back on the road. It was weird that my temp never got hot again but I could tell something was wrong. I got a exhaust test and saw that I had exhaust gas in my coolant... it happened right at the beginning of the quarantine so I had plenty of time to dive into a project. It wasn't hard just took some time. I was intimidated because it was definitely the biggest engine repair I had done up till that point but it was much easier than I thought it would be. Thank god for Otramm's video.

Yea I'd love to check them out sometime. Let me know next time you go!
Will do! I can't remember, do you have sliders? They are a must for these trails. Lots of rocks that will do a lot of body damage without them. I grew up riding 4 wheelers out there but it was my first time taking the LC out there because I just added my sliders.

Will do! I can't remember, do you have sliders? They are a must for these trails. Lots of rocks that will do a lot of body damage without them. I grew up riding 4 wheelers out there but it was my first time taking the LC out there because I just added my sliders.
Yep I do! I rode 4wheelers in that general area in college, but don't remember every going through tunnels like that. Looks super cool.

We were able to throw castor correction plates on the LC this weekend. When I did my first front axle rebuild I found that the PO had installed castor correction bearings in the knuckles. I replaced them with OEM bearings and it threw my castor out of place. It's incredible what a few degrees will do for the ride of the LC. Very happy with how she rides and feels now.
Correction 1.jpg
correction 2.jpg
correction 3.jpg

I’ve been busy lately with work and getting ready for my wedding at the end of this year so many of the LC’s project have been put on hold. But this weekend we we able to knock out something I’ve need to do for awhile. We welded up my fender flare holes and some major, and not so major rust issues on the roof. It’s so nice to get this done. My holes on the roof had bondo in them so I wasn’t getting water in but I am going to raptor line the whole LC soon and needed to get this done before.

Im really happy with how this turned out. The new paint looks like s*** but I just needed to get something on there for the time being. Next step, raptor lining the whole LC.

1F7795FB-3E2A-469F-A786-09B206D6487C.jpeg
44721752-47E0-4D81-84C7-D6C14939F83F.jpeg
1F0EFB5E-1619-45A5-9CB1-9FF7BD695873.jpeg

455BC388-A576-451D-A4F6-1AB770B82EDA.jpeg
E8E375D9-F8A7-4B12-A8D9-9BE964472522.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom