School me on the T100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 3.0L in a 4rnnr. I don't get all the hate for them. Mine must be the unicorn. HG's were done before I got it. Not a rocket, but not slow either. Certainly more HP & faster than the mildly cammed rebuilt 22R in Patch. Can't help but wonder what it would run like with a manual behind it. Would love to have a 3.4 in the truck, an engine swap is out of the question in KA. Were there a smog legal LH drop head pipe for the 3.4 then it might be a consideration. Can NOT modify the stock one to flip it, won't pass inspection that way.

From what I've seen the best way to make the 3.4 eat fuel like a V8 is to put the supercharger kit on it. A very good friend had the very first such 'kit'. His truck was the prototype that Magnusson used to develop the kit for TRD. To have any real range he added a large fuel tank in the bed.

My combined city/hwy MPG according to my mis-calibrated speedo is roughly 18-19. Corrected I suspect that it's more like 15-16.

4.56's, 31's, Auto trans.

My friend's blown T-100 could be single digits if he wasn't careful with his right foot.

I have a 3.0L in a 4rnnr. I don't get all the hate for them. Mine must be the unicorn. HG's were done before I got it. Not a rocket, but not slow either. Certainly more HP & faster than the mildly cammed rebuilt 22R in Patch. Can't help but wonder what it would run like with a manual behind it. Would love to have a 3.4 in the truck, an engine swap is out of the question in KA. Were there a smog legal LH drop head pipe for the 3.4 then it might be a consideration. Can NOT modify the stock one to flip it, won't pass inspection that way.

From what I've seen the best way to make the 3.4 eat fuel like a V8 is to put the supercharger kit on it. A very good friend had the very first such 'kit'. His truck was the prototype that Magnusson used to develop the kit for TRD. To have any real range he added a large fuel tank in the bed.

That’s kind of how I feel. My best bud had a 3.0 pickup that was pretty much flawless over 100k miles. I think he replaced an alternator? And I know it would cruise at 100mph with stock size tires. Seems they aren’t all bad. I’m going to look at this T100 on Friday if it’s still for sale. Single cab, 8’ bed, 3.0, 5spd.

I’ll let you guys know.

my '94 project truck has a bad rod knock and pukes oil so it will be getting a replacement 3.0 but I can drive it around for about 5 min before things get hot and under 20 it seems to drive no different than the 1mz-fe in my es300...

You’ll get every opinion, for sure, but I think most people will tell you the 3.0 is not worth the price difference. Just get the right motor the first time. I had a 5vz and loved it as a daily driver. I would do it again if it was the right truck.
I wouldn’t do one as a tow rig. 1st gen tundo is a better truck and not that much more money.

Scariest thing a friend told me that he's ever done was tow a Series III Land Rover on a U-Haul trailer from Sandy Eggo back up here (~170 miles of traffic) with his 3.0L T-100

..I wouldn’t do one as a tow rig. 1st gen tundo is a better truck and not that much more money...

That makes good sense.

I bought my 3.0 Runner back in 2002, when 3rd gens were practically new and far too expensive.
It doesn't see a lot of miles but still runs perfectly.

I’ve been looking at first gen tundras too.

Compared to the 3.4 liter T100s the 4.7 Tundras are not much, if any, more money. Then I could haul s***ty old Toyota’s back to my house whenever I wanted. My wife would be thrilled!

This is a timely thread for me. I bought an 85 Ferd F150 single cab long bed 4x with the 6 cylinder 4.9L and a granny 1st gear from a Mudder a couple years ago. Fun old beat up truck we use to go to the lumber yard, get mulch and go to the dump. Slow old tractor of a truck. But my heart is still with Toyota so I have been thinking about unloading it and looking for a T100. This thread is good education. As a project I would consider a power plant change if the 3 slow died and then eventually go with a straight axle up front. I saw a guy at GSMTR who had done the swap but I did not have a chance to look hard at the truck.

Anyway, aren't the dimensions of the box in a long bed T100 larger than any of the other choices? (Tacoma, Mini, etc)

It is either the same basic width as your F-150's bed or close to it. Which means that AFAIK there's no donor LA out there. You're looking at a custom width assembly to do an SAS on a T-100.

Ive been told you can lay a sheet of plywood in the bed of the T100. I actually traded my GX470 for a double cab Tacoma so the hunt for a T100 is off. If I saw a single cab 3.4L 5spd for sale, though, we d probably go for it.

I’d think for an axle swap any full size axle would work. That would be a great truck when completed.

That has long been the definition of a U.S. market Full Size Std. Bed, that a 4' X 8' sheet of anything will lay flat in the bed between the fenderwells and the tail gate will close. The early Willys pick-ups have a large difference in track width just for this reason. Front is much narrower than the rear.

This is a timely thread for me. I bought an 85 Ferd F150 single cab long bed 4x with the 6 cylinder 4.9L and a granny 1st gear from a Mudder a couple years ago. Fun old beat up truck we use to go to the lumber yard, get mulch and go to the dump. Slow old tractor of a truck. But my heart is still with Toyota so I have been thinking about unloading it and looking for a T100. This thread is good education. As a project I would consider a power plant change if the 3 slow died and then eventually go with a straight axle up front. I saw a guy at GSMTR who had done the swap but I did not have a chance to look hard at the truck.

Anyway, aren't the dimensions of the box in a long bed T100 larger than any of the other choices? (Tacoma, Mini, etc)

I have an 85 Ford (well kind of an 86 F-350 too) and I gotta say keep yours! They're nice to have especially with that little 6 cylinder. It's more of a truck than a T100 could ever be :flipoff2: (even though the T100's are awesome trucks, I'm just partial to the old bullnose Fords)

I have an 85 Ford (well kind of an 86 F-350 too) and I gotta say keep yours! They're nice to have especially with that little 6 cylinder. It's more of a truck than a T100 could ever be :flipoff2: (even though the T100's are awesome trucks, I'm just partial to the old bullnose Fords)
If mine was a 250 I would keep it as a tow rig but that 6 isn't strong enough. Obviously the T100 is not either. I have to say that having worked on that Ford, Toyota makes it so much easier with their FSMs. The Ford Econoline FSMs have tons of info about other trucks, not parts schematics and the instructions are not very clear.
Don't get me wrong, that bull nose Ford is a fun beater and a great truck. Especially after plugging all my manifold leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom