School me on the T100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi fellas,

I may be moving into a new house and am going to need a truck. I love the IDEA of a single cab long bed 4x4 T100 as a 3rd vehicle. Looks like the most common configuration of these was 3.0 v6 and a 5 spd. A buddy had one with a s***load of miles and it wass a great truck, but all I hear about the 3.0 is bad. I love my first gen 4runner, but having 3 SUVs just doesnt make sense (and im not getting rid of my 80 or GX470) and it seems I could build the T into a pretty capable beater/trail rig/lowes runner using standard minitruck stuff.

Is the 3.0 really THAT bad?? Otherwise the T100 is just a giant toyota pickup, right? The specific one I'm looking at is a '94 with lots of miles, lots of new parts, and a really ugly paint job. Perfect for my intended use.

Brian

Drive a 3.0, then drive a 3.4. Enough said.

Its not worth chancing eating a 3.0 unless you have swap money already in the budget.

Otherwise the T100 is a great rig.

The T100 was available with the 3.4L in 1995-1998 models. Mostly with an auto as best I can tell (browsing Autotrader for the last year or so, and boneyard trucks).

The T100 was available with the 3.4L in 1995-1998 models. Mostly with an auto as best I can tell (browsing Autotrader for the last year or so, and boneyard trucks).

I've seen a couple 3.4L 5 speed T100's out here before, and one very rare T100 with a supercharged 3.4L, 5 speed...and 4x4! Absolutely loved that truck.

Anyway, out here they're not cheap. But here's a nice one with the 3.4L, 4x4 & manual. They definitely exist!

Also to answer your question, yeah the 3.0L is really that bad. I had one in my 1994 Pickup and I swear the 22RE in my 87 has more balls than that thing did. It's top speed was 60 MPH on the highway with one dirtbike in the back. Horrible.

I've seen a couple 3.4L 5 speed T100's out here before, and one very rare T100 with a supercharged 3.4L, 5 speed...and 4x4! Absolutely loved that truck.

Anyway, out here they're not cheap. But here's a nice one with the 3.4L, 4x4 & manual. They definitely exist!

If I had the coin it would be tempting.

I'll trade you it for your 40 :hillbilly:
Nope. I'll tell you though, if the 40 was sold, I would probably be taking a trip to Yuma to have a look-see on the T100. An SR5, xcab, 3.4L, 5-speed would be the ticket in my driveway.

Crap. Well who knows. If I find a really cheap one I’ll chance it. Otherwise I’ll just use my existing vehicles as beaters. Which they all are... I have a problem.

Best friend has a T-100 with the 3.0 and loves it. Sure it lacks power but what's the point of driving an older toyota if you want power? The head gaskets aren't that big of a deal imo but I also like to take chances.

The guy that sold me the red truck was getting rid of it to buy a T100. It was a great truck, I think it was a '98, had the 3.4L. I helped him do a clutch in it. It got rusty so he bailed and now has a Taco.

Ya I would also avoid the 3.0L.

I’m not concerned about power at all. I don’t care about going fast and I have driven Toyota 4x4s my whole life so I’m used to it. I was more concerned about longevity, ease of ownership, maintenance, reliability, etc. I’m guessing the 3.4 swap into a 3.0 T100 is fairly straightforward - maybe easier than the pickup because of the extra space.

It doesn’t look like the regular cab long bed was common with the 3.4.

It's not so much about power, the 3.4 is just a better overall engine.

Doing a swap seems like an unnecessary PITA. Just find a 96+. The 3.0 was never outfitted with OBD2, so that also makes the 3.4 easier to maintain. Manual trans are the rare criteria, most are autos.

Friend with the T100 had the HG go about 3 years ago and that's been the only major things they've done to the truck. I don't get all the hate for the 3.0, it's not the best or the worst engine out there but itll do its job

If you have not owned or worked on a 3.0, you wont get it.
Its like doing a v8 swap using a 305 instead of a 350.
There's a reason the T100 died relatively fast. Opposite of the reasons the Tundra was/is such a big seller. :rolleyes:

Besides, throwing 4k at a shytty motor is always a bad choice.
Reality is, the 3.4 swap is comparable to the HG repair $$$ wise. 3.0 is just not worth it.

..Besides, throwing 4k at a shytty motor is always a bad choice.
Reality is, the 3.4 swap is comparable to the HG repair $$$ wise. 3.0 is just not worth it...

Not worth rebuilding- I would agree. Worth buying? Well yes, if you're a cheapskate.

It's a good engine that will be found in trucks for a lower price than trucks with the better 3.4.

the 3.blow was toyots first hybrid, power of a 4 cyl and fuel economy of an 8 cyl. if you can get it cheap enough take a chance, if the head gaskets go just dump it or do a motor swap

She’s sweet. A little too clean for my purposes. I need a “farm truck”. I did find a 4x4 3.4 5spd close by though. I may try to look at it if I’m ever not traveling for work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom