Scary steering (not.com) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently moved back to Michigan with my 40 and am experiencing horrible steering pull or wandering. There are severe troughs in the pavement here from all the heavy trucks and frost heave. My only chassis mods are Scout II steering box and my rear springs flipped length wise. There is no lift and the front end geometry is stock other than the steering box. The steering box, intermediate shaft and all hardware is tight. Why am I getting pulled all over the road? Would a steering stabilizer cure this or do I need more castor?

could be more castor... sounds castor related but i don't see how you'd stuff your castor if it's all stock

At 4x4 labs when we did power steering conversions we usually added 3-5 degrees of castor, but that was usually with SOA and shackle reversal.

I would be suspect of the preload on the knuckle bearings if EVERYTHING else is in check...

no sloppy steering components, castor is on, spring bushings are not shot, etc...

Good luck!

-Steve

If it has a rag joint, I would check that first and its one of the easiestthings to check.

What size tires are you using. On flat pavement big tires will not give you much problems with wandering with a stock caster angle. But on uneven pavement they will cause the problems you are describing. Could also be worn knuckle bearings as previous poster stated. I'd inspect knuckles for slop. And if you have big tires then try changing castor with shims.

I'm running 33x12.5s on 8in wheels. I don't have a rag joint. Just 82 mini intermediate shaft and u-joints(new). I'll check the kingpin bearings and go from there. Thanks again.

Trollhole said:
What size tires are you using. On flat pavement big tires will not give you much problems with wandering with a stock caster angle. But on uneven pavement they will cause the problems you are describing. Could also be worn knuckle bearings as previous poster stated. I'd inspect knuckles for slop. And if you have big tires then try changing castor with shims.

Trollhole hits it (all things remaining equal) Bigger tires will amplify wander. Also check wheelbearings, in addition to what has been mentioned previously.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom