SC car tax question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at a video on upstate SC living today and it mentioned there is annual 6% tax on privately owned passenger vehicles: 6% of retail value.

That sounds potentially annoying if you have a Cruiser fleet -- for any of you with multiple old rigs, how bad is this in practice? Kinda sucks having to pay a tax every year on the junk in your barn...

What are they saying the 'retail' value is on 1970s FJ40s (I tried looking this up on Kelly's Blue Book and it didn't even go back that far)? Hopefully not BAT values?

I was looking at a video on upstate SC living today and it mentioned there is annual 6% tax on privately owned passenger vehicles: 6% of retail value.

That sounds potentially annoying if you have a Cruiser fleet -- for any of you with multiple old rigs, how bad is this in practice? Kinda sucks having to pay a tax every year on the junk in your barn...

What are they saying the 'retail' value is on a 1970s FJ40s (I tried looking this up on Kelly's Blue Book and it didn't even go back that far)? Hopefully not BAT values?''''
I have an ‘88 FJ62 and pay about $80 a year for property tax on that one. Once they get old enough, it rarely goes above $80 a year.

Max SALES Tax on a SC vehicle is $500. property tax is based on the age, but not necessarily ‘current retail value’

I’m actually in Dorchester County, near Charleston, and my 74 FJ40 is only $23 / year.

Max SALES Tax on a SC vehicle is $500. property tax is based on the age, but not necessarily ‘current retail value’

I’m actually in Dorchester County, near Charleston, and my 74 FJ40 is only $23 / year.
That is correct. You pay a sales tax when you purchase the car which had a max of $500. Then every year you owe a “property” tax to the county.

Thanks for the info - so a yearly property tax of $23ish for a FJ40 and $80ish for a FJ60 doesn't seem like it would be too onerous.

I pay $29 on my 93. Greenville county

My 97 LX is cheaper tax than my 97 LC 😃. Correct though, the purchase is taxed with income that is taxed and the privilege of operating the vehicle is taxed annually.
1705254710679.png

In NC, if you tag your vehicle as an antique, your taxable property value cannot exceed $500. I’m in NC and I have antique tags on all my old cruisers. The county I live in (Union, NC) started using a 3rd party to assign current market valuations on old cars and trucks in an effort to glean more tax dollars from residents. The valuations were excessive and not based on condition. For example, I had a rattle-canned old FJ40 whose taxable value went from $650 one year to $16,500 the next. That’s when I put antique tags on my old junk. Now I’m taxed on $500 valuation.

all of my cars except the Caddy are $11 to $12 .00 a year in Charleston Co.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom