SBC position "fine adjustment" advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Same message posted to Pirate 4X4.com)...

I'm preparing to drop a SBC + auto trans in my 40. I have read of the "approximate" location, but understand that I'm going to need a way to tune in the position (up/down) before welding the mounts.

Once I get it in with the hoist, I want to stabilize it on some adjustable stands. I don't want to rely on the hydraulics of the hoist holding it in a constant position.

I currently have a few sets of jack stands to start out with, but was looking for some ideas on how to set up a screw type mechanism to allow a fine adjustment up and down. The vehicle will see the highway, so I want to be very carefull with powertrain placement.

Any advice is appreciated...

is this the engine trans transfer driveshaft mearsure before weld thing? slid in waterpump and radiator for clearence reasons?

does the hoist leak down?

i have good luck with floor jacks, wood, etc...

screw type mechanism sounds a bit on the too picky side IMO.

i did hoist on front, floor jack on the tranny, this allows drivetrain angle adjustment (floor jack), up and down movement as a whole, side to side i
used wood to hold it steady. My hoist has slow up and down movement so
it was easy, fast movement might make it harder.

is this the engine trans transfer driveshaft mearsure before weld thing? slid in waterpump and radiator for clearence reasons?

does the hoist leak down?

Yea, this is what you are thinking. Since this rig will see highway speeds, I want to do the best I can with positioning before welding the mounts in. I don't want to trust the hydraulics, as I may have the rig in position for a little while before finally making it permanent.

I'm worried that an "approximate" position may lead to vibration at higher speeds (especially with a short drive shaft).

well what motor mounts you have? i used a set of downey mounts the multi hole long suckers, i could set the motor down on the frame using these mounts and a piece of wood. mounts are about 3/4" above when final fit was done.

are you SOA? what trans? which adapter or how long? rear spring reversal?

Using the "common" motor mounts from AA. I am not SOA, 4L60E trans, AA adapter. Since I have the OME suspension, I want to see how it looks before swinging them around. I'm looking for a way to set the powertrain on 3 points (motor mounts + trans mount), then adjust up/down to check for clearances and output shaft line up with the rear.

I was planning on making up some steel blocks with threaded holes that I could mount to jackstands. then adjust from there. Just wondering if anyone had a trick to making it easier (but accurate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom