Saving The Old Rustbucket--My 1982 FJ40 Tale (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Men, Old Iron...what images it conjures up. My Grandfather bought a 1952 GMC 3/4 ton 5 window pickup used as a second owner. He drove it for some years then one of my Dads six siblings drove, then another and then my Dad. In the late 70's my brother Doug, the oldest of seven drove it, then my other brother James the middle child got it and drove it for about 3 years until he joined the Air force out of high school. In the time James had it he repainted it a metallic blue changing it from the two tone beige with brown fenders and upper cab. He was getting ready to ship off to boot camp and was talking about selling the Jimmy. I was 12 but just knew that couldn't happen, he could not sell it outside of the family I told him. He asked me if I wanted to buy it for $300, and I said yes. I gave him the $50 I had in savings and would make up the rest when I could. Since I was to young to drive my older brother Jesse, number 5 of 7 drove it...and drove it, and drove it. He "let" me drive it a couple of times and that was the second vehicle I ever drove, and the first manual. The steering was sloppy but I loved it, and it had that old car smell you can still smell in unrestored cars of that era. Before I got my license at 15 (Idaho) the old Jimmy was retired, it had a cracked head and my brother parked it. I didn't have the money to fix it, and we were moving from Idaho to Western Washington, so we stored it in a field at a friends house next to about a dozen other old vehicles. Ten years later, me now married and a kid on the way my brother James calls from Beale AFB in California. "Where is the Jimmy?" It is still in a field in Idaho I tell him. "Well I have the money, the time and the talent to fix it, can I have her back?" Sure I tell him. He did it right, re-chromed the parts that needed it, replaced a smashed fender, dropped in a fresh engine and a new paint job and brought her back to life. Here it is today...well as of last year anyway :)
DSC03984 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
SeaKnight, thanks for the thread, been following since the beginning, the chapters seem to serve up a dose of reality and appreciation of the past and future, for everyone who has been following.
Lost Dad 2 years ago, he wasnt an old truck guy, but he was an old car guy, after making it back from Korea and becoming an aerospace engineer, he had a succession of cars that he would restore, all the way to his last one, in 2003, a 49 Merc that he flew out to Kansas with his buddy Lloyd, dropped the tank to clean it, add fuel, new battery and drive it back to California, still loved the adventure.

But the one he talked about the most, all the way to his last breath was his Hudson, I never saw it, I wasnt even born yet, but man would his eyes light up when he told stories about it.

I was scanning old 35mm slides before he died so he could see the old pictures and came across some of the Hudson, they are some of my most cherished.

The Hudson
Untitled-Scanned-33.jpg

SeaKnight, thanks for the thread, been following since the beginning, the chapters seem to serve up a dose of reality and appreciation of the past and future, for everyone who has been following.
Lost Dad 2 years ago, he wasnt an old truck guy, but he was an old car guy, after making it back from Korea and becoming an aerospace engineer, he had a succession of cars that he would restore, all the way to his last one, in 2003, a 49 Merc that he flew out to Kansas with his buddy Lloyd, dropped the tank to clean it, add fuel, new battery and drive it back to California, still loved the adventure.

But the one he talked about the most, all the way to his last breath was his Hudson, I never saw it, I wasnt even born yet, but man would his eyes light up when he told stories about it.

I was scanning old 35mm slides before he died so he could see the old pictures and came across some of the Hudson, they are some of my most cherished.

The Hudson

The Hudson is beautiful!

I "subscribed" at post 10. This has been the most unbelievable thread...transcending 40's to covering life topics.

Lee, I think your original intent of giving us a story where we could ride shotgun in a 40 rustbucket has exploded into some amazing side track stories. I've watched as many many readers have climbed in for the ride. While 40s, toyotas, cars in general brought us to your thread we all accept and have experienced a much deeper truth....that this country is what it is bc of Army, and the many grandfather's and father's that taught us to love, not just "old iron", but their values and what made this country great.

My father isn't a car guy, but I have made it a point to spent alot more time with him in his 70th year realizing I only have so long. Our projects have bc more and more a spectator sport for him due to his arthritic hands, but we still laugh, talk, and spend time together.....the actual reason for the work anyway.

I think I'm gonna go take him for a ride in the cruiser now.......thanks Lee and to all those that have contributed and shared.

What a long strange trip it's been

-The Grateful Dead-

The perfect lyrics to begin this post.

First off, thanks to the mods for keeping this in tech. I came across this thread looking for the best way to preserve a relatively rust free 40 from becoming a rust bucket. I had begun parting out Opal (a rust bucket), my '79 fj40 that had sat in the garage in pieces for the last several years. I'ld done the math, if I sold off most of the parts I'ld collected, I could put together enough $$ to purchase one that I could be driving now. A bitter/sweet decision to be sure.
Once the parts began to sell in earnest I began to shop for a cruiser that I could love and drive, many thanks to Crushers and others from this site for encouragement and sound advice.
I may put a note in the suggestion box that we change the name of the forum to IH8TRUST. After many false starts I began a long correspondence with a gentleman from Katy TX regarding a 1980 dune beige fj40. Many pics (and even a video) later, I sent him the proceeds from shipping parts from Opal to many of you here on MUD and he sent me Sandy... I finally got caught up on this thread tonight and the fj40 was delivered!!!
More to follow on family, travels, music and 40's
Thanks Lee for getting this all started, Tech question, what's the best way to treat the underside of a 40 to keep rust at bay?
Carry on.
IMG_7095.jpg

To keep this "tech worthy" i'll respond to the question at hand, but first a THANK YOU to Sir Sea Knight for this thread. Just finishing up a frame-off and I see road trips in my future (and in my dreams) on account of this thread.

I'm planning on using Fluid Film to help keep the unavoidable salt spray at bay, but my underside is fresh paint. Two applications a year ought to do it.

Carry on.

Tech addition

SO after reading this thread, i tested it out and hte door strikers on a 45 opena bottle cap wonderfully....

Tried it on my tundra striker looked veyr close, but was too rouned in the clasp area and dint' open the bottle for beans

:)

Thanks Sea knight your storied inspired me to go spend a day wheeling and hanging with my family.

Cal-

caladin said:
SO after reading this thread, i tested it out and hte door strikers on a 45 opena bottle cap wonderfully....

Tried it on my tundra striker looked veyr close, but was too rouned in the clasp area and dint' open the bottle for beans

:)

Thanks Sea knight your storied inspired me to go spend a day wheeling and hanging with my family.

Cal-

And a great day of Wheelin it was

Sent from outer space via my mind
image-1169279674.jpg

We had our cruiser meeting last tuesday, Land Cruisers Medellin 2nd meeting and run, it was a blast, a few breakdowns but nothing mayor, everytime I drive my forty, I wish I could go more and more....

The love for land cruisers is something amazing, it gathers people, families and friends, I plan to make this a national event....

Hope to see you guys there in the future.

:steer:
IMG00416-20120807-1326.jpg
IMG00424-20120807-1400.jpg
IMG00448-20120807-1813.jpg

Commander, C has returned safely from the north bringing the closest thing to cooler weather. Sign will go up in the lounge out back.

image-4239649877.jpg

Maybe the same can coax the Turtle westward.
image-4239649877.jpg

I helped a fellow LSLC member build some brake lines for his old mid 60's era FJ40 he presented me with a couple of these, and thought of you......ever tried it? large bottle and 8.5% alcohol .......:eek::eek:
058.jpg
059.jpg
062.jpg

Sign will go up in the lounge out back....Maybe the same can coax the Turtle westward.

I helped a fellow LSLC member build some brake lines for his old mid 60's era FJ40 he presented me with a couple of these, and thought of you......ever tried it? large bottle and 8.5% alcohol .......:eek::eek:

You guys are killin' me here. First Moose Drool, and now a Duvel hood ornament on a mini-rustbucket.

Butch, I have tried Duvel golden. Mighty potent brew. I wouldn't recommend drinking those bombers during wrenching activities. But later....
Duvel Golden Ale.jpeg

.... a special "Rustbucket" shirt. :beer:

:hmm: :idea: Hmmm... "Save The Rustbucket" t-shirts might be a worthy project for Christmas.

I know, I know..first I have to get us out of Montana. :steer:
Lee and Ohio Rustbucket 40 (3).jpg

Sir, we can stay in Montana indefinitely as long as we have beer and you are driving:beer:....errr writing

Sir, we can stay in Montana indefinitely as long as we have beer and you are driving:beer:....errr writing

I know the feeling. Will see what I can do about prolonging the trip...
FJ40 in Alaska (3).jpg

Every time I get an update I'm excited only to be let down with no story update. Commander you may need to post up a short summary before the journey continues. I would review it myself but can't remember which page the story ended on. Oh hell I'll just start at the beginning and hope for more pages after I get back here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom