Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeddyBoy

Knighted by the King of MUD himself
Threads
Website
www.novatelco.com
My wife calls me bulldozer b/c I have a tendency to see something I want and then everyone better get the he!! out of the way. I think I'm a little more tactful than that but maybe not.

So, I've seen the light and have formulated plans for the Mashed Potato". If you gotta ask you aint seen the truck.

Here's the 3 step plan:

Phase 1--1980 axle, Solid Axle Swap (SAS)
1) Gonna use the IFS Wheel hubs and calipers off my truck and FJ60 rotors to gain the axle width I need to match the rear axle. Otherwise I'll need 1.5" spacers but since I have all of the IFS hardware why not. I'll be rebuilding the axle hopefully this week but need seals in a bad way. (suggestions?)

A lot of info on the IFS hub & FJ60 rotor mod but here it is in a nut shell: Sky Man. front wheel spacer kit - Page 2

2) Front Springs--Rears up Front (RUF). Pulling the rear springs out and moving them up front. The rear spring pack alone wont be enough so I will need to add some additional leaves to support the front. Planing to add 2-3 leaves from an F150 spring pack collected from a junk yard.

3) Rear Springs-- F150 (54") Spring pack for the rear. Using these for the flex and soft ride but won't know exactly what form these will take until the front end is done. Need to build and install new spring hangers approx 6" in front of the factory hanger and build some longer shackles for the factory location, then add leaves (if necessary) to the pack to level out the truck.

Once this is all done and tuned in then on to the next step

Phase II--Front locker and 5.29's
The front locker will help a ton for the off road capabilities but I still need to retain the on-road ability. I'm currently running 4.30 gears on 33's and that's okay but I know when I jump to 35s+ that aint gonna cut it.

Phase III--EDIT: Going 4.7 single case instead of duals. Looking deeper into the duals with my V6 starts to get pricey in a hurry, somewhere around $1200. By eliminating the need for 2 adapters and everything else to make duals work I can cut the price roughly in half, if not more. And of course, tires. going 35s and they are in the last phase b/c they should match the truck setup instead of the way I've been doing it: buying bigger tires and figuring out how to make them fit.

This is what I started with in 08
P1010745.JPG

This is before SAS beginning:
P1040937.JPG

Latest version as of 03/16
20160325_192430.jpg

Last edited:
Got started on it on Friday in my driveway. I "tried" to drain the sludge that was in the axle but the crap just did not want to come out on it's own. It was kind of windy on Friday and a lot of this black crud ended up on the driveway instead of in the pan so I ended up having to break out the pressure washer for the spillage. Downhill Dave later dubbed it Groil which is a combo of way too much grease and way too little diff oil. Obviously the seals are shot and need to be replaced (Any suggestions on where to find?)
SAS(14) small.JPG

I cut off the anti-wrap hanger and the sway bar tabs as "un-needed" distractions. I cleaned these up and got it all nice and smooth.

SAS (2)small.JPG
SAS(14) small.JPG
SAS (2)small.JPG

Last edited:
Saturday we made a Field trip to the bone yard for some parts. Picked up the 2 sets of F150 springs, total cost $65 and 1x 14mm box wrench.

SAS (8) small.JPG

Got the axle disassembled and cleaned up. I added the gusset to the long side as found on the 84-85 axles trying to be careful not to warp the axle housing with too much heat. My booger welds really need some work

SAS(10) small.JPG
SAS (8) small.JPG
SAS(10) small.JPG

Last edited:
Ted,
In your research, did you look at the front axle from a 70 series Cruiser as a donor? They are wider than a 40 series, but not as wide as a 60 series. I did a cursory measurement of an early 90's mini-truck in the parking lot that was parked next to my 70 and they came up the same. This left me wondering.

Since I will have two spare sets of 70 series axles, I have been considering how they can be best used. Your project post prompted me to check on your research.

PS Bulldozer is a nickname with some heritage in the Ga Cruisers. Steve Clevenger's 40 was named that and his license plate carried this name too for all to recognize. Steve lives in TN now, so he isn't using this vanity plate in Georgia any more so it may be available.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good reason to start another project. What size are the diffs and how to they compare to a mini truck axle at 8"

I didn't look at a 70 Series axle but I did look at the 60s and 80s. I don't recall all of the reasons for not going with one of them but there were several.

The 60s are doable and many have successfully installed them. The diff size (8.5" I think) is different than the mini trucks (8") and the limited stock gearing options would have forced to re-gear immediately. These 2 things made it a little less attractive. First-- I need to stay to a budget and, Secondly) if you ever had to swap out a rear diff in the field you can not pull it from the 60 axle and put into the mini 8" rear axle. EDIT: and Third) finding replacement parts can be more difficult and "spendy" as compared to the mini trucks.

I looked less into the 80 axles b/c I'd heard/read the steering options are limited and parts can be expensive as compared o the mini. that coupled with 80 axles being somewhat hard to find made the decision pretty easy.

In regards to the mini axle it wasn't really a tough choice. There's a wealth of info out there and many folks are using them very successfully. Besides, the axle was the right gearing and right price at the right time.

Last edited:
Looks impressive, are you still using your welder for welding your gussets on the axle?

Good thing you are wanting to use the IFS hubs because I already borrowed 1 to fix my truck today :flipoff2:

Good thing you are wanting to use the IFS hubs because I already borrowed 1 to fix my truck today :flipoff2:

Hey bit*h? what up with that :flipoff2:

Did not use my welder but certainly could have. My welding skills are a little sketchy to begin with. It's been a few months since I've touched one so I need to "knock a little rust off" my skills.

I may have a Axle kit at the shop. Call me tomorrow if you are interested because I will likely forget if you dont.

Thanks Michael--Should have a mule by there tomorrow afternoon for a quick pick up.

Also just ordered the TG High steer arms, couldn't bring myself to purchase the entire kit from TG. I've just read too many unfavorable reviews of the TG TRE's crapping out after 6 months and then having to replace. Said the arms should be here in a week!!!!

still on the list to purchase are new FJ60 front rotors, extended brake lines, and...wait, that might be it for now. the rest such as shocks and mounts will be figured out after the springs and axle are in.

So with that, it looks like I'm gonna have to build my own steering linkage. Correct me if I'm wrong, I already have the tie rod from the axle so all I should really need to build is the drag link. Any suggestions on best method, I believe 62 TREs are the way to go but how about the rod itself as far as diameter, wall thickness, etc...

130002-1-k-600.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a good reason to start another project. What size are the diffs and how to they compare to a mini truck axle at 8"

I didn't look at a 70 Series axle but I did look at the 60s and 80s. I don't recall all of the reasons for not going with one of them but there were several.

The 60s are doable and many have successfully installed them. The diff size (8.5" I think) is different than the mini trucks (8") and the limited stock gearing options would have forced to re-gear immediately. These 2 things made it a little less attractive. First-- I need to stay to a budget and, Secondly) if you ever had to swap out a rear diff in the field you can not pull it from the 60 axle and put into the mini 8" rear axle. EDIT: and Third) finding replacement parts can be more difficult and "spendy" as compared to the mini trucks.

I looked less into the 80 axles b/c I'd heard/read the steering options are limited and parts can be expensive as compared o the mini. that coupled with 80 axles being somewhat hard to find made the decision pretty easy.

In regards to the mini axle it wasn't really a tough choice. There's a wealth of info out there and many folks are using them very successfully. Besides, the axle was the right gearing and right price at the right time.

Ted, Thanks for the summary

Another thought, I'm beginning to think the butt end of my truck is...oh.. say 11" too long, can you say BOB perhaps

I think you should just sell the truck and save yourself the hassle with all this and just buy a LAND CRUISER!! :flipoff2::grinpimp:

I think you should just sell the truck and save yourself the hassle with all this and just buy a LAND CRUISER!! :flipoff2::grinpimp:

Anyone can wheel an 80, even my little sister. :flipoff2:

Hassle--No way, it's half the fun. A few friends get together with a couple of :beer:s and start playing with torches, welders and grinders, what could be better than that? Besides, wait till I'm done, you're gonna be jealous. :steer::wrench::wrench::wrench::steer:

Ted I got some brand spankin new OEM FJ62 Steering and drag link if you need them, let me know :beer:.

dunno yet but I'll let ya know. Thanks for the offer

Once again Michael and Brian at ACC do more than what is expected. Thanks guys, the kit had more goodies in there that I believed there would be. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I was excited to see a few parts in a box. Also ordered the FJ60 Edit: rotors today, $22.50 each at Advance Auto.

Gettin' ready an axle buildin' and IFS cuttin' weekend.
Axle Rebuild Kit.jpg
Axle Rebuild Kit.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom