Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's too freakin' cold to work outside these days.
Hey Nick--what happened? Thought the :princess: told you to show up so you could learn something. :flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

if your talking to me, you've already identified why I haven't helped yet. Plus I'm in school. I'll be at RiverRock breaking my junk some more, not helping you :flipoff2:. Of course I'll probably need your help when my junk breaks... this is confusing :hmm::confused: lol

Sorry, not the "New Nick" but was talking to Nick H. (AuburnFJS). The "soon to be wife" (who's great by the way :grinpimp:) gives him a huge hall pass at the meeting the other night and in fact, tells him to "go up there and help!". Even with this he's still a no-show. :flipoff2:

It's too freakin' cold to work outside these days.

Hey Nick--what happened? Thought the :princess: told you to show up so you could learn something. :flipoff2:

Your first line was my reason for not showing up, It was 20 degrees outside. When is the next work day when the temp is over the freezing mark? :grinpimp:

Here's your dual setup: Toyota Duals $700 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
I'm sure you could pick up a good set of used 35's to start with, instead of 33's. You'll be fine w/ the 4.30's in there. You welding up the front diff or lunchbox locker? Have any pics of how the truck looks now?

Here's your dual setup: Toyota Duals $700 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
I'm sure you could pick up a good set of used 35's to start with, instead of 33's. You'll be fine w/ the 4.30's in there. You welding up the front diff or lunchbox locker? Have any pics of how the truck looks now?

Thx, for the link.

No! not welding the front :eek:, I have a wish but it's not a death wish on the roads:flipoff2:, probably gong to be a lockrite just like the rear.

4.30's are getting me around now on 33s but they will only be in there for a little while after the springs and axle work. I'm starting to rethink 5.29s though, once I get through the final stages there's really no "practical" limit on tire size up to about 39's (that seems silly since I have to retain some street capability.) If I throw in the 4.88's I'm kind of restricting myself once again and not sure I want to do that. Any thoughts here?

This pretty much how it sits today just add a few dents to the butt end and you got it. I've taken the IFS about as far as it can go without tearing the crap out it so I figure it's time for some mods.
attachment.php

Last edited:
you're already regearing. 5.29s or nothing at all. I did and never questioned it. It's almost perfect for 34/35's

Why are you starting w/ a truck as pristine as that instead of finding a junker to trash on the trail? If you go w/ the duals, you won't need to regear. Save that $$ for other necessary mods. What's wrong w/ a welded front? You won't be driving on the street engaged. How about a Toy E-locker for the front?

Why are you starting w/ a truck as pristine as that instead of finding a junker to trash on the trail? If you go w/ the duals, you won't need to regear. Save that $$ for other necessary mods. What's wrong w/ a welded front? You won't be driving on the street engaged. How about a Toy E-locker for the front?

I'm taking it one step at a time, letting the results of one stage dictate what happens in the next stage. By design we will build on it, try it and make the mods from there. You're right about the duals/4.7 single and not needing to regear if it were a trail only rig, however, to push a bigger tire on the road the current 4.30s simply aren't gonna cut it.

It's amazing what a bucket of water and a sponge can do for the appearance. Pristine and this truck don't really belong in the same sentence although it's actually not in bad shape, just 21 years old and has the wear and tear to show it. I'm not trying to hammer on it by any means and will keep it as nice as possible but it's my wheeling rig and time to upgrade it's capabilities.

The overall look of the truck won't change a lot except to add some additional sheet metal armor around the wheel wells, it will going a little bigger though. after all, that's just part of the fun isn't it?

Elocker would be nice but just not in the budget right now.

Last edited:
there's really no "practical" limit on tire size up to about 39's

If those teeny 8" diffs have any say, you'd better keep it safe w/ 35's. It'd be more wise to start off w/ LC diffs if you wanna go any larger.

add some additional sheet metal armor around the wheel

I'd want front corner protection too. Bobbing the bed is a good :idea:

Agreed all around, wasn't planning to go that big on a tire, simply suggesting the 4.88 gearing would be a limiting factor if I wanted to go something larger down the road, errh, trail I mean

Yep--sheet metal protection above the wheel wells, probably a simple hoop from the slider to the bumpers.

Front protection is fairly good right now with the bumper we built last year, perhaps a better stinger but that can wait for another day.

Baby's got back for sure and it has a strong rear bumper but still...Bob is strongly being considered just not quite settled in my mind.

Last edited:
FWIW, 5.29s and my 34's aren't that bad on the road. Granted my puny wittwe motor isn't going to win any speed races, but it'll do 70ish on the highway fairly well. Only time I'll drop out of 5th gear would be on something like the hill going to 6flags.

with the 5.29s you're going to get more reduction, which may not be great on the street, will definately be good on the trails. I don't think I've ever been out wheeling (which in itself is rare) thinking I wish I had a doubler for lower gearing.

For you, I'd say 5.29s and then 30 spline longfields before a second t-case. Maybe get rid of that freaking boat anchor of a crossmember for something like the dual-case skidplate for your single case.

Hey man i have a set of skys arms (way better than tg's) sittin at ACC. Ill sell em for a good price. Let me know. Also have a complete setup 5.29 gear 3rd there as well. I also have more mini truck parts than you can shake a stick at, just let me know.

Killer build, keep up the good work.

On the gearing thing. I run 5.29s in the yotas under the zuk and i can run 65mph no problem with a 65 hp 1.3 and 38.5s.

And for those that think 8" yota axles are week, watch these videos, the zuk with the john deere tag is mine. Those are yotas with 5.29s and longs in the front. 38.5sx's. I think there pretty damn strong myself, and you have more ground clearance, less weight, etc with them vs a cruiser axle.

Enjoy,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...3&ei=u_FTS5vpPKCOqwKyqJWoBA&q=bump+it+oh+boy#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...CJHurgKrtMSUDw&q=bump+it+films+harlan&view=3# thats with 35s and stock front shafts

Oh yea, i know where a set of dual cases are cheap, Really cheap actually. Tried sending you a pm but your box is full.

Last edited:
On the gearing thing. I run 5.29s in the yotas under the zuk and i can run 65mph no problem with a 65 hp 1.3 and 38.5s.

And for those that think 8" yota axles are week, watch these videos, the zuk with the john deere tag is mine. Those are yotas with 5.29s and longs in the front. 38.5sx's. I think there pretty damn strong myself, and you have more ground clearance, less weight, etc with them vs a cruiser axle.

Enjoy,

"Oh Boy!" (Harlan @ Thanksgiving'07)

High Impact Harlan thats with 35s and stock front shafts

Cool, did you get a speeding ticket going up the one rock garden? :banana:

Oh yea, i know where a set of dual cases are cheap, Really cheap actually. Tried sending you a pm but your box is full.

Cleaned out some of the PMs, tell me more!

Hey man i have a set of skys arms (way better than tg's) sittin at ACC. Ill sell em for a good price. Let me know. Also have a complete setup 5.29 gear 3rd there as well. I also have more mini truck parts than you can shake a stick at, just let me know.

Killer build, keep up the good work.

Wish I'd of known about the arms but too late, until I brake one anyway.

Talk to me about the gears and 3rd, is it a diff with the gears already setup or just the gears or what? Do you have both F&R or just 1. make me a deal I cant refuse. :hmm: Thx

Last edited:
And for those that think 8" yota axles are week, watch these videos, the zuk with the john deere tag is mine. Those are yotas with 5.29s and longs in the front. 38.5sx's

:lol: You're running all aftermarket stuff, so of course it's gonna be stronger. We're talking about a STOCK 8" diff (what Ted has) here. A tubed out zuk is *way lighter than a full sized Toy, so it's apples to oranges comparison. I only suggested LC diffs cuz he had thoughts of going up to 39's ;p

I ran harder on my 35s with stock shafts than i do with the 38s and longs. My zuk is heavy, trust me, and ive been wheelin mini trucks for 10 years now, i know what will and wont work. Stock axles take alot of abuse. The axle shafts are the same size btw, and ive NEVER seen a stock r&p break, even wheelin like i do.

Trust me, i love the 80 and the size of the diffs and such, but a mini doesnt need that beef.

All in good fun tho, love a little competitive arguing :)

Will

Sent a pm and replied to one. Hope to hear back from yall soon.

Will

Hope no one is horning in on the offered parts. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom