welding warning! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last edited:
OUCH!!....thanks for sharing; I use brake cleaner a lot......need to rethink this

Lou

There was a post in Trailer Tech back in August about this.
It needed to be posted in EVERY tech forum.

JJ

Yes, thanks I use brake cleaner alot also! Thank You!

Great warning. Well, I guess I was lucky that I only used it once to start my mower (outside of course, but still).....

That is unreal - thanks for the post!

read that a while back. eye opening to the kind of things i expose myself to.

Damn glad I read this. Like everyone else, I use these cleaners. Thanks for posting and the heads up, I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL!!!!

wear a resperator when your welding...that will solve alot of your problems right there, i have a backpack resperator for welding and i wont touch anything dirty or treated without it on, get the backpack kit with good cartriges and you will live alot longer if your doing any amount of welding...

also if you are using brake cleaner or something that you plan to weld...watch that you dont use a brake cleaner with chlorene in it...turns nasty in a hurry when you get that stuff up to welding temps

wear a resperator when your welding...that will solve alot of your problems right there, i have a backpack resperator for welding and i wont touch anything dirty or treated without it on, get the backpack kit with good cartriges and you will live alot longer if your doing any amount of welding...

also if you are using brake cleaner or something that you plan to weld...watch that you dont use a brake cleaner with chlorene in it...turns nasty in a hurry when you get that stuff up to welding temps

+1 on the respirator , i just use the one with the big pink disks . they fit under a welding helmet very well and all the parts are dirt cheap . i have a over the shoulder respirator as well but the cartridge are more expensive and its usually to much to deal with .

its amazing what can knock you out cold when your welding , lots of different platings will make you throw up if you weld on them .

Also be careful when using brake cleaner on the engine. DO NOT use brake cleaner like carb cleaner. It will kill you. Carb cleaner is propane and a mild solvent in a can, designed to be burned in an engine and not be fatal to you or the O2 sensors. Brake cleaner will not burn to anything benign, too much chlorine.

We are well aware of this problem in the shop environment and I will not allow any non-flammable brake cleaner / degreasers to be used anywhere in the shop at any time.

The smell from chlorinated / non-flammable brake cleaners and degreasers is noticeable the second an arc is struck even if you're working in an area far removed from where the degreaser was used and the vapours in the air not no longer noticeable.

I'm sure that yotawheeler will remember be being quite clear about not using the brake cleaner he brought along when doing some work on is FJ40 in my shop a couple of years ago.

~John

Thanks for the heads up. just coiurios what is the issue with using brake cleaner as starting fluid? I used some the other day to find a vacuum leak bad idea??

Yeah this needs to be posted where more people will see it as I dont think everyone goes to this section.

Almost all freon used in cooling systems or as propellants in aerosols will decompose into phosgene which is related to cyanide when subject to high temperature. The US Navy found back in the 80's, under some conditions someone smoking could inhale the vapor through the cigarette and it would decompose into phosgene.

Thanks for the heads up. just coiurios what is the issue with using brake cleaner as starting fluid? I used some the other day to find a vacuum leak bad idea??
Bad, bad, baadddd idea. seriously.

When a chlorinated solvent (Brakleen) is burned, it may bind the chlorine to CO, creating Phosgene, which is extremely poisonous gas. The normal tailpipe pollutants (CO, CO2) are bad to breathe, but one lungful of Phosgene (COCl) can cause a painful death. It is a banned chemical weapon. :eek: Don't F with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom