SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (1 Viewer)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mmmmmm, Coffee!

bd192f2723f7d81013f04903d9e0428b.jpg

PRE-COFFEE ORDERS....(@POTATO LAUNCHER approved)

Last year I only brought a few extra bags of coffee and sold out in minutes. This year I’m taking pre-orders. If I sell at least 75 bags of coffee I am bringing an EPIC prize giveaway...I mean EPICALLY SUPER COOL...I’ll give you a hint, it’s coffee/camping related!

The bags will have SAS logo on them, I can do whole or ground. Order needs to be in a few weeks prior to make it all happen and the sooner the better. Send me a PM and I’ll send you payment info. It’s $12 for a 12oz bag of whole or ground Med roast premium Honduran coffee roaster by me. For $15 I’ll throw in a patch and sticker (while supplies last) and for $21 I’ll also include a mug with the stickers/patch combo and/or you can add a mug for $6 to whatever.
NOTE: If you don’t come, I’ll mail you your goodies for the additional cost of the ride. If for some unforeseen reason SAS doesn’t happen and IF I haven’t already prepped your order, I will refund you or ship to you for the extra cost of the ride.

As always, morning coffee is FREE during the event! Looking forward to this again!!!!!!View attachment 2008993View attachment 2008994View attachment 2008995View attachment 2008996
I'm in for two bags of ground. Patch sounds sweet! We took your coffee on a couple of lake camping trips after SAS2 last year. Plan to do it again this year. Great way to start off the day!

Well, the BAD NEWS regarding info in my post 574 is that in addition to replacing the head gasket etc. I also need to put in new rings...dropping the oil pan etc. etc.

Now the GOOD NEWS is that I will begin this project on Monday the 22nd, which should be enough time to be successful and on the road in the 60 to SAS 3.

Since I’ve got this down time I also removed the radiator and took it in to the shop. A lot of work to accomplish as the deadline approaches. Almost feel like how @dogfishlake must have felt when he was doing so much last year as his drive time approached.

Well, the BAD NEWS regarding info in my post 574 is that in addition to replacing the head gasket etc. I also need to put in new rings...dropping the oil pan etc. etc.

Now the GOOD NEWS is that I will begin this project on Monday the 22nd, which should be enough time to be successful and on the road in the 60 to SAS 3.

Since I’ve got this down time I also removed the radiator and took it in to the shop. A lot of work to accomplish as the deadline approaches. Almost feel like how @dogfishlake must have felt when he was doing so much last year as his drive time approached.

I thought that was a fresh Shortblock for last year. What was the cause of the damage?

Yep, you are correct, rebuilt last year and running like a top...except that it is burning oil. Won’t know for certain what/how it happened until I get in there but somehow I must have screwed up getting the piston rings installed correctly.

The only machinists we have in town is an excellent one...BUT...he does all the machine work, measuring, ordering parts etc. etc., but he doesn’t tear down nor give you back an assembled engine. On install maybe I busted some rings, maybe I didn’t orientate the space in the rings properly etc., don’t know.

I was hoping the problem was in the top end which is why the original plan was for a different/rebuilt head. But once I removed the head, we could tell the cause of excessive oil burning laid in the bottom end. So to the bottom we go.
I thought that was a fresh Shortblock for last year. What was the cause of the damage?

Yep, you are correct, rebuilt last year and running like a top...except that it is burning oil. Won’t know for certain what/how it happened until I get in there but somehow I must have screwed up getting the piston rings installed correctly.

The only machinists we have in town is an excellent one...BUT...he does all the machine work, measuring, ordering parts etc. etc., but he doesn’t tear down nor give you back an assembled engine. On install maybe I busted some rings, maybe I didn’t orientate the space in the rings properly etc., don’t know.
Bummer man. Well at least you can do that work with the block in the Cruiser. Should be simple but laborious. Good luck my friend.

I was hoping the problem was in the top end which is why the original plan was for a different/rebuilt head. But once I removed the head, we could tell the cause of excessive oil burning laid in the bottom end. So to the bottom we go.

Sorry to hear it John. By pushing my effort on my 60 so far beyond my bailout date I am still in a fix this year (pun intended) getting the 80 ready. Tie rods, new calipers, new brake hoses, rear ebrake rebuild, header is off for new flex joints now, fluid changes. Piece of cake right?

I hope all goes smoothly for you, I am looking forward to meeting again. I want my daughter to meet you and Maureen, as I have spoken of you regularly to my family since last year.

^^^
Thank you my friend. Right now I’m at my machinist’s front door that is locked but says ‘open’. Waiting to pick up the rings he ordered. Small town, he likely went for coffee.

For sure, see you guys and the rest of the bunch @ SAS 3.

Hey john.
Be sure you know how your machinist finished the cylinders. It will make a difference in what top ring you use. A moly ring is finished with a finer stone and by putting a plain black/cast top ring on that finish will not seat in just FYI.

^^^
Good info, thanks. I will see him tomorrow and ask.

Thanks, John

Hey john.
Be sure you know how your machinist finished the cylinders. It will make a difference in what top ring you use. A moly ring is finished with a finer stone and by putting a plain black/cast top ring on that finish will not seat in just FYI.

Golden information from our resident Master Engine Builder / Engine Machine Shop owner.

Hey john.
Didn’t get to ask him today but will try to hook up with him tomorrow. Again, I appreciate this info @Yackster

I will certainly ask him, but he did the machining right at 1 year ago...and I picked up the rings today from him. Hopefully he gave me the correct Federal Mogul rings.

Another guy that has been giving me a big help on this has been SAS 1st timer @2mountainfish...thanks Jerry!

Jess reminded me this morning that we are only two weeks out from hitting the road to head out (sooo much put-off maintenance and bumper building to complete)! She's never been out west and is beyond giddy. She's forgotten that it'll be 20+ hrs in a 60 lol. It's gonna be a fun ride. Looking forward to meeting some of y'all.

Anyone else gonna be in 4J the 4th through the 7th? Anyone got any plans for any fishing up around Ouray?

PS: Looks like there are a couple other folks heading over from Alabama and Georgia. Any interest in tagging up for the drive over?

Last edited:
Jess reminded me this morning that we are only two weeks out from hitting the road to head out (sooo much put-off maintenance and bumper building to complete)! She's never been out west and is beyond giddy. She's forgotten that it'll be 20+ hrs in a 60 lol. It's gonna be a fun ride. Looking forward to meeting some of y'all.

Anyone else gonna be in 4J the 4th through the 7th? Anyone got any plans for any fishing up around Ouray?

PS: Looks like there are a couple other folks heading over from Alabama and Georgia. Any interest in tagging up for the drive over?

You taking 40 or 70 or..?
We will be heading West from NE Mo. Friday the 2nd, looking to hit Salina Friday night, Co. Springs Sat night, and on to Ouray Sunday morning.
Always good to travel with others, more parts, more tools, more brains and more fun.

I am swinging south from Michigan probably on the 1st early and going I 70 through St Louis with a destination of @POTATO LAUNCHER , home in Amarillo on the 2nd. From there I will follow the pack.

@Kleatus , any chance of Amarillo? I will be rolling right by. Possisbly @Dilspec as well (?)

@Kleatus , any chance of Amarillo? I will be rolling right by. Possisbly @Dilspec as well (?)
You're breaking south at STL and taking 44 through towards OKC. I'll be taking 36 across Mo. and hitting I70 at KC. Amarillo would be a few hundred extra miles for us. If it was just me and the dog I'd be up for that. I'm trying to keep the days reasonable as possible and not add to the mileage there and back. The small sleepy human we brought last year now morphs into a screaming pterodactyl when put in a vehicle. We went up to Omaha the other weekend and my nerves were seriously tested, in a faster, quieter vehicle..

It looks like Catherine and I will be cruising up 285 in the FJ40 to meet the convoy in Monte Vista, Co. on sat eve. or sun morning. Soulcraft brewery for lunch on sunday the 4th.

You're breaking south at STL and taking 44 through towards OKC. I'll be taking 36 across Mo. and hitting I70 at KC. Amarillo would be a few hundred extra miles for us. If it was just me and the dog I'd be up for that. I'm trying to keep the days reasonable as possible and not add to the mileage there and back. The small sleepy human we brought last year now morphs into a screaming pterodactyl when put in a vehicle. We went up to Omaha the other weekend and my nerves were seriously tested, in a faster, quieter vehicle..
Very undertood. I remember them days. See you out there and bring some local beer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom