For Sale San Diego, CA. 1974 Fj40, Classic Restomod, V8 Conversion. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
red
Outside Link
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/d/san-diego-1974-fj40-toyota-landcruiser/7088858786.html
Long Post. Ask is 26K. Will do my best to paint an detailed picture. Sorry if any redundancy. Written this over a few episodes.

Up for sale. Honest and I believe rust free '74 FJ. Very nice truck. Paint is likely 30+ years old. No slight of hand bondo tricks. Original factory original welds still visible.

Lightly modified with exception of some light mods and Chevy v8 installed some 30+ years ago. V8 could pass as original to the untrained eye. Runs, drives and stops A-1. Has second Confer gas tank added in the late 70's with electric switch gear on dash and all works well. Dressed up with a bunch of chrome bits when it was restomodded years ago to the way it looks today. Hasn't aged much as it's been mostly a garage queen since. I'm not a FJ expert, but I am a classic car enthusiast that grew up in the rust belt, Im pretty qualified to know the difference. This is nice. As a young man in the military here in San Diego in the 90's, I bought my first house from flipping rust-free muscle cars. Purists won't love it, but I think there is something to be said for the well mannered horsepower of a V8. I"ve always been a Chevy guy so you may differ... and that's alright.

I've always really liked the FJs, I just never came across one I could afford and had room for at the same time. I bought this as part of a package deal with some business equipment from a private party. My family and I have enjoyed it and we've hit a few local car shows, it's been fun. It's happy around town or on the freeway and keeps up lazily at freeways speeds at 75. Solid driver, no wobbles or bad manners.

Garage space tho is a premium here in San Diego. Between work vehicles, classic cars, and kids driving, space is a tight at home, so I rent a dedicated garage. It's been kept in dry storage most of its life and definitely since I purchased it. If I could get a fair price for it, I'd consider finding it a home. I've been trying to figure out what that number is and I think 26K is it. Would be happy to have a forum expert in San Diego area give it a hard look over to make us both feel confident prior to any transaction. I'm a pretty reasonable and I want us both to feel good when said and done. I am confident you wouldn't be disappointed in the vehicle tho.

I've received insights from folks here on this forum and have a good idea of what it is and isn't. Right now, it's an exceptionally clean and capable driver and not a 100 point show car. I'd welcome any comments or question relating to value or inquiries in general. Any constructive inputs or comments would be taken as such. I am not looking to bs or take advantage of anyone.

The original Blue CA Plates issued in 70's) are present and up to date. Clean CA title is in my name. Per my understanding, immediate PO bought it from a vehicle flipper in Northern CA circa 2010. That Immediate PO lived somewhere in Northern CA and was responsible for the vehicle modifications. I can't confirm that with paperwork, just providing what I was told. Happy to provide Vin, etc to any serious interested parties. Vehicle has BAR (CA smog certification label from the engine conversion. Patina wise under the hood, suspension etc, all are just as I purchased including the surface rust on the air cleaner cover. Was quite literally a garage find when I was buying a work trailer. I wished I stole it PO knew what it was and what it was worth. Has original jack/hardware etc under the jumpseat. 8000lb winch includes the remote.

Has Power Steering, power brakes that work perfect, period correct GM Steering column with GM ignition in the column which looks and works like new. All doors, factory door locks and (I think) factory keys, including rear hatch, are present and working. Glass is excellent. To my knowledge, all switch gear including turn signals, lights, wipers, fans, heaters, defrost, etc, work as designed including interior reading lights. Tires are excellent. Paint is excellent overall, cleans up very nicely. Wheel wells were slightly trimmed for larger fender flares. No rust or sins hiding under the diamond plate, was apparently all part of chrome assault package years ago. But the good new is, the 80's and 90's are supposedly back in style.

There is a second Confer gas tank manufacturer stamps from late 1979. All tank switching on the dash works properly, as does the the fuel gauge on both tanks. Headlights/high beam switches work well. Seats padding feels new under your butt and are quite comfortable. Stereo is fully operational and wiring looks proper, but the roll bar speakers do not put out sound. I haven't diagnosed, hasn't been a priority as I listen to the drive train music which sounds great, even cruising at freeway speeds. Carpet is definitely newer, looks fantastic and has additional soundproofing underneath making for a quiet ride. Floors look to be excellent and never worked on. I don't know for certain but I suspect the top may have never been off. An overall nice example. It is very road worthy. I've been driving it enough to say with some degree of competence. .

Whoever built it, did so with attention to detail. judging by the amount of Chrome, cheap was not the goal. The V8 wasn't built as a hot rod to be thrashed, but reliable and serviceable. Long ago, the availability of parts/support for a Chevrolet drive train was better than Toyota if you weren't near a major city, so this would make sense. The rest of it was left pretty original Toyota.

If the date on the 2nd Confer gas tank (1979) is any indication, the work was done over 40 years ago with comfort and longer driving range in mind. It odometer only shows 5500 on the odometer and it's believable, it's been a special weekend driver for many years. It was surely built and cared for well before these became so valuable. There is literally a zero chance this is a bucket with shiny paint. It was built and then blessed as a v8 Conversion for smog certification reasons in CA as It had to pass CA smog inspections up until 2002. Thankfully that requirement is no longer.

It even still wears the original Blue CA license plates from the 70s and that, you can't fake. You can buy New fake Classic California 'Black Plates' with Gold Letters that look similar to ones used prior to 1970. But you can't buy the Classic CA 'Blue Plates' that were used only in the 70's. 'Betty' has definitely been a California girl most, if not all, of her life.

If it doesn't sell, I won't be heart broken as the FJ was atop my bucket list since I was a kid. She runs and drives perfect and my wife will actually drive it unlike any of my other old cars, for better or worse, lol. The challenge has been I rarely find the time to go get it out of the garage. That and I don't have convenient space to store the hardtop. And if the top hasn't ever been off of it, I hate to take it off. Not sure if it matters from a value standpoint, I'm just funny like that. It's made it this long.

Thanks for the long attention span. Hopefully didn't take as much to read as it did to write.

IMG_20190618_162507728_HDR (2).jpg

IMG_20190618_173642135_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190618_183729338_HDR.jpg

74 Land Cruiser Rear Interior and floors Drivers side - Copy (2).jpg

74 Land Cruiser Drivers Side Interior.jpg

Last edited:

That is indeed the number OP posted. He's also said he's open to constructive input. Yours seems to be anything but that. Heck, I can't even discern whether you think he's selling high or low.

OP, good luck selling. I have little clue whether your price is spot on, high, or low but looks like an awesome rig!

Yes. 26K. And thanks EvanD, pics don't do it justice. I presumed Cody was simply requesting price clarification. I posted a ton of pics of it several months ago on an earlier post if that is still accessible. Just double checked... a large lot of pics are in my media and has much better pics.

Last edited:
I can't speak between the two drive trains as I've never driven a factory original, I'd love to tho. I can understand a purists perspective.

I was drawn to it was the level of attention to detail when built years ago. The V8 has good power without a bunch of hot rod stuff which would indicate it probably wasn't built to be thrashed, just to be easily repaired. The availability of parts/support for a GM drive train was much better once you traveled away from the coast of California... back then anyway. They left the rest of it pretty much Toyota from what I could tell. If the date on the gas tank (from like 77 or so) is any indication, it may even been converted over 40 years ago. Whenever it was, it built for comfort and longer range with the power steering and the extra gas tank. I haven't cleaned up the patina in the engine compartment cause it's entertaining when people think it to be original.

It's obviously been well cared long since before they became incredibly valuable. There's absolutely no chance this is a smashed bucket of rot with a bunch of new parts and shiny paint. It was a State of CA blessed vintage v8 Conversion (smog certification) and still wears its Blue CA license plates from the 70s. I enjoy being able get in and and enjoy it without feeling like I'm bringing down its value. I've gone that route and my wife and kids wouldn't hang out with me because I obsessed over rock chips or inspecting everyone's clothing for zippers, rivets and metal buttons. lol. It was annoying. It's more fun to just get in and go.
It's been cheaper too which means I have money for other toys, tires, etc. If it doesn't sell, I won't be heart broken as it was in my top five of realistic target classics since I got to CA as a kid. It gets more attention than my 69 Camaro and my wife likes to run around in it too. I just have rarely have the time to go get it out of the garage and bring it around for the weekend.

About the CA Blue Plates. You can buy re-popped Classic California 'Black Plates' (with Gold Letters) used prior to 1970, but you can't buy the Classic CA 'Blue Plates' used only in the 70's. Last I knew, you can only use the blue plates is if you have them on the vehicle and they were assigned to it since the 70's. 'Betty' has definitely been a Cali girl most, if not all, of her life. She's had a classic cowbell hanging under the core support, but thankfully the it's muffled) that has hung on her front core support forever.

Last edited:
To try to give some constructive feedback, converted 40s are not demanding this kind of price unless they are show level.

To try to give some constructive feedback, converted 40s are not demanding this kind of price unless they are show level.
Appreciate the feedback Workingdog. So in your (or anyone's) opinion....would it be worth the effort from an investment standpoint to return it to stock form? Is it pretty much just a motor and transmission cost and some labor, or did the conversion require modification that can't easily be undone. Does it hurt the value to have been converted to and from.

It wouldn't be a something I'd worry about immediately should I keep it as I think its great as is. If it's worth considering from a long term investment tho, I'd keep an eye out for a an original drive line to shelve away. And.... if I did look for a drive line, do I need to exclusively look for a 74? Thanks again to all.

Bowtied:
I don't think it's worth your time/expense to change it out - and truth be told I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as most on this forum.

From my perspective of previously owning both, a stock FJ40, a V8 FJ40 and back to a stock 40, I have a soft spot the V8 purely due to the available power it brings. However, as @workingdog suggests, the market for V8's in that price range is narrow.

And so, I'm going to be a bit nit-picky here: You're asking $26k, look at picture 3 of the engine bay, it's super dirty, and you have a battery that reads "Econo Power". Ask yourself, from the outside, if you were looking at this ad, would that spur your curiosity, at $26k. The engine bay doesn't "appear" to be well taken care of or at least thoughtfully taken care of.

You definitely have a clean 40, at least from what the rest of the pictures show.

You know, the price range over $20k is very particular. I couldn't tell you if it's worth or not.

I was looking at yours as I'm looking at selling my 40, it also has a V8 (6.0 liter/4L80) and I think I'd be lucky to get $18k, I'm expecting to get around $15k.

The market for 40's is very confusing to me. There was a color change 1969 40 FST for sale in the San Diego area about two months ago. Factory Stock except for the color (I have a thing for FST's). The fellow was very easy to talk with. He started at $29K and three weeks later was at $19K (had receipts for 40K) and I don't know what the final sale price was.
As to your question about turning yours back to a stock engine, I'm with the other guys, not worth the trouble. And finding a correct date code engine for your month of build would be a task indeed. Plus all the particular bits like starter, carb, dizzy etc.
I reckon you can stay the course, or keep lowering the price until someone is interested. Tough call indeed.
The reason I like the V8 conversion idea is reasonable parts prices, parts are at darn near every parts store. But I always do stock engines so don't listen to me.

Last edited:
Bowtied:
I don't think it's worth your time/expense to change it out - and truth be told I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as most on this forum.

From my perspective of previously owning both, a stock FJ40, a V8 FJ40 and back to a stock 40, I have a soft spot the V8 purely due to the available power it brings. However, as @workingdog suggests, the market for V8's in that price range is narrow.

And so, I'm going to be a bit nit-picky here: You're asking $26k, look at picture 3 of the engine bay, it's super dirty, and you have a battery that reads "Econo Power". Ask yourself, from the outside, if you were looking at this ad, would that spur your curiosity, at $26k. The engine bay doesn't "appear" to be well taken care of or at least thoughtfully taken care of.

You definitely have a clean 40, at least from what the rest of the pictures show.
I specifically DIDN'T CLEAN the engine bay. My whole point was to leave the history of essentially non-use. Don't you watch Fast n Loud?? lol. Ya leave a barn find in as found condition. I agree with ya tho. Has taken some discipline not to clean it up. Would take maybe an hour if that.

But the rest of it looks too nice for the 'barn find' look of the engine bay.

You and I have similar tastes in cars @bowtied. Wish I could take on another one. This is my second 40, and I really want a hard top. I'm also in San Diego. View attachment 2273287
Absolutely! I'm a Chevrolet man historically but I love them all. Pretty crazy, I had a silver Camaro with black rally stripes up until a few years ago. Love the 70, great and arguably best year of Chevelle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom