Saginaw Questions - 40 series turn radius (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the importance of a pitman arm being the same length as the steering arms?
I beleive it's because the shortest arc in the system is the maximum arc the system will travel.

I've seen a lot of mention of the "wagoneer arm" since it's 7" (this almost perfect match to the steering arms) but when I try to google/buy one there's so many "versions" that I'm not clear on which to buy. What is the importance of a pitman arm being the same length as the steering arms? I've seen this mentioned before but not entirely clear why it's considered optimal. :

I think the "Wagoneer arm" everyone talks about is something like this one below. It appears to have a slight drop to it (maybe an inch, probably less?) but most of the pictures show a flat pitman arm and almost none of them specify anything in terms of length, taper, etc.
View attachment 2481594

On a similar note - I have no idea what the taper is on my own Tie Rod. It came from Cruiser Outfitters many years ago and matches their Tie Rod Ends. I know my drag link is threaded 11/16-18 on that end. So I guess for the Wagoneer Arm I'd need to find a Tie Rod end with whatever taper jeep uses, and a 11/16-18 shank. Does such a thing exist or is everyone reaming out the Jeep ends?
So, the arm in your pic appears to be the waggy stk arm. If it is stk, Its taper is larger than the stk jeep cj taper, which is larger than old stk FJ40. The Waggys taper is getting into 1 ton stuff. I believe jeep used tapers similar to gm. This is a waggy arm.
20201029_221553.jpg
20201029_221625.jpg

So, the arm in your pic appears to be the waggy stk arm. If it is stk, Its taper is larger than the stk jeep cj taper, which is larger than old stk FJ40. The Waggys taper is getting into 1 ton stuff. I believe jeep used tapers similar to gm. This is a waggy arm.
View attachment 2482553View attachment 2482554

That’s almost exactly what I’m after. Thank you for the picture! Now I just need to figure out the taper/tie rod end. I just realized I’ve lost the boot on my existing end. Still seems plenty right but I wouldn’t be opposed to replacing it. I’ll see what google brings me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom