saganaw power steering conversion on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj40taz.com
looking for a little input as to what my setup looks like. i have attached pics..
1974 fj40 with jeep saganaw box, i got the template for the mounting plate from the forum here and the rest of the parts are from downey. i am also using a drop pitman arm from a jeep, part is made by rubicon express.
as of yet i have not jacked the front end up to see how many turns it takes to go lock to lock. both rods run parrell to each other but i am not sure if the side with the pitman arm should be closer to the rear steering rod??
as of right now the axle is in the stock location and i do have a bds 4" lift installed. i was thinking about swapping the springs to move the axle 2" forward.
any input would be appreciated...
steeringrod-3.jpg

steeringrod-4.jpg

steeringrod-5.jpg

steeringrod-6.jpg

steeringrod-1.jpg

steeringrod-2.jpg

saginaw not saganaw

I would replace or straighten the tie rod and looks like you could benefit from new tie rod ends as well.

I ran this same pitman arm for a short period but settled on one with ~1/2 that much drop so that as the suspension compresses the drag link and tie rod approach parallel... you have the opposite. I wouldn't worry about it. Run what you got and see how it behaves.

yeah i figured i would need to replace the tie rod ends and the main bar. i was gonna wait to do that as i was not too sure what and where i was going with the project, mainly another axle with disk brakes or mini disk upgrade....

sooooooo many choices and soooooo many decisions...

I agree. Those tie rod ends are done. No boot, rusty. Plus the tie rod itself is bent = unsafe.

While you're messing with the front end, this would be a good time to upgrade to disc brakes-swap in everything from an Fj60 and make it nice.

Otherwise I think you'll be very happy, and I'm pretty sure Downey would sell you the right box. I would run your steering first before I moved the axle forward. It will probably be fine.

where is the best place to buy new tie rod ends?

In your instance, I would say your Toyota dealer or CDAN for at least the TREs that go with the tie rod that is bent. You get the tie rods along with the TREs from Toyota. Every other vendor usually sells entire TRE kits without the tie rods.

If you get the ends from the dealer, each end comes with the rod. :)

yea, take a xanax before you request the price.

JTO has the best price on a HD tie rod but .......

I bought the HD rod from Marlin Crawler and while pricy, it was less than any OE price I was quoted and ahellofalot stouter.

I bought the HD rod from Marlin Crawler and while pricy, it was less than any OE price I was quoted and ahellofalot stouter.

you have a web site for marlin crawler.. i am a little confused as to what parts we are talking about..

the tie rods ends are the parts that thread into the long bar?? they look like an L, correct?? what is the long center bar called???

While it's true that the steering system would like to see both tie rod tubes as parallel as possible (easiest steering in both directions), even the stock Toyota configuration was not parallel/perfect. Nor do the tie rod tubes ever see parallel for very long once the vehicle is in motion, particularly when wheelin. Some companies have you cut well back into the front crossmember, having you sink the Saginaw box rearward into the frame in an effort to get the two tie rod tubes somewhat more parallel. We don't do this because of the integrity of the hot rivited frame, particularly at that front crossmember. Additionally, if you swap the springs end-for-end, I actually believe your two tie rod tubes would collide??? I'd take the advice already given on this thread and "let er lay" as is.

Tie rod is the long bar that connects or ties the steering knuckles together. a drag link is the rod between the pitman arm and the tie rod

I always thought a tie rod tied the wheels togther.. A drag link dragged the tierod side to side.. A relay rod relayed the steering forces from somewhere else..
Like I said, what's in a name???

That drop is pretty major. Math wise, is it best to have the drag link very parallel to the tie rod or are you looking at a bump steer issue the more the angle of the drag link?

Hit up lcwizard direct via PM. He has the schiz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom