Rust on angle members on frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time listener, first time caller, so forgive the ignorance.

I took a look under my 2010 GX460 today and saw that there was some rust on these bolt-on angle members of the frame. These are towards the front of the vehicle, next to the catalytic converter, and connect the longitudinal members of the frame with the bar that runs laterally. I was planning on removing these pieces, wire-wheel them and repaint.

My question is: can I remove these pieces while the vehicle is still on the ground? I assume yes, because these appear to be support members to the actual frame, but wanted to be sure.

I suppose the follow-on question is: when I re-install this piece, do I want to use Loc-tite on the bolts?

Thanks!

You should be fine removing those bolts with the truck on the ground. I would do exactly as you describe, but I personally would not use any loctite on those bolts. Just make sure you torque them appropriately. The torque spec might be available in one of the service manual links floating around, otherwise you can base it off of how much pressure you need to remove the bolts, or on bolt size and Toyota's general specs.

Surprised to see that on your rig considering you're in California! Are you by the beach or is your GX from another state?
I'm not sure if Loctite is necessary. As mentioned above, Loctite is probably over kill. I'm pretty sure Toyota/Lexus does not use Loctite anything any other material on most of what they bolt together. I just usually get a feel of how tight something comes off and then just torque it tight again from the original feel.
If I'm adding a new component or addition to my rig I always use stainless steel fasteners and nylon insert nuts (aircraft lock nuts).
I assume you'll just use a wire brush and some Rust-Oleum.

Jacket and r2m, thanks for the advice. Yes, I was planning to use a wire brush or wire wheel and some good 'ol Rust-o-leum. Depending on how the bolts look when I take them out, I may replace them with some SS ones.

As to how a California car ended up with so much rust, I'm not exactly sure. I'm a new owner, and the car was previously down in the San Diego area. If it was by the coast, maybe the salty sea air caused some of this? Otherwise, possibly some trips up to Tahoe or Mammoth, without proper cleaning afterwards? Adding a picture of one of the weld seams on the frame. Gonna try to clean this up, too.

So this thread is a bit misleading....can someone from the rust belt post up some actual rusty photos? ;)

As to how a California car ended up with so much rust, I'm not exactly sure. I'm a new owner, and the car was previously down in the San Diego area. If it was by the coast, maybe the salty sea air caused some of this? Otherwise, possibly some trips up to Tahoe or Mammoth, without proper cleaning afterwards?
Funny you should mention those locations. I'm in San Clemente (border of San Diego) and live about 100 feet from the ocean AND we have a place in South Lake Tahoe that we go to a couple times a year. The worst I've ever seen is on both my wife's 100 series Landcruiser (285k miles) and my Landcuiser (255k miles), both were 1998's, is about as much rust as you show in your first post. And both of those were 20 year old vehicles! I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom